Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can't decide what to buy?!!! Help

Options
  • 06-07-2006 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hello All,

I have saved up some cash for a new motor and unfortunately I can't decide which one to go for,

The options being:

1999-2000 Toyota Celica 1.8vvti
    2000-2001 Honda Prelude 2.0
    200-2001 Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0

In terms of looks I prefer the alfa to all 3, the celica would be the most expensive so I'd be right to the limit in terms of cash,

Has anyone had experiences with any of the above vehicles which they could share and maybe make my descision a little easier!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭henry hill

Personally i don't rate any of those cars, but each to his own and dat. Surely you could get something nicer for the money ur spending. which is what, 10-12K?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 madmurdock

yeah about that,

what would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paraicr

i'd definitely prefer a well looked after celica to the other 2.

Thats if its limited to those 3 cars though!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭henry hill

I know there second hand, but the value of those cars will depreciate like a stone. Personally i'd perfer something from the Audi, VW range. Keep their value a little better then those cars, but you might think them a bit bland? What you driving now?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=452086

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 madmurdock

At the moment I'm driving a horrible ford mondeo (family car)

I'm only 25 and want a sports coupe or something similar,

I'm not mad about VW's and there's so many of them around,

Don't fancy buying a car that you see 200 times on the way into work!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

madmurdock wrote:
    Hello All,

I have saved up some cash for a new motor and unfortunately I can't decide which one to go for,

The options being:

1999-2000 Toyota Celica 1.8vvti
    2000-2001 Honda Prelude 2.0
    200-2001 Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0

In terms of looks I prefer the alfa to all 3, the celica would be the most expensive so I'd be right to the limit in terms of cash,

Has anyone had experiences with any of the above vehicles which they could share and maybe make my descision a little easier!

Thanks

What do you want from the car? If we know your priorities & requirements, we'd be a lot better able to advise you. Sorry, just saw your last post now. A friend of mine is selling a black 98 Alfa GTV 2.0, if you're interested? It's in excellent condition, serviced by Alasta, low mileage, recent cambelts, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

He's clearly looking for a sporty coupe, and the only one I can think of in the VW/Audi range is an Audi TT, wich is probably way out of that price range. The shiny new (i.e. not even on the market yet afaik) VW Eos looks nice though.

I'd love to have any of the three cars in the original post, but I think I would pick the Celica first, the fact that all three are uninsurable for me not withstanding.

Edit: I was busy typing this while the OP made his last post, meh

• Registered Users Posts: 20,083 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

get the alfa if its from those 3 without a doubt

if you can stretch a bit (or look for older ones) what about:

cost more and cost more to ins and tax but will loose far less in depreciation than the rest

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=414283

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=459317

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=438768

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Depends a bit on what you want in a car, as Anan1 posted and of course what looks you prefer if that's important to you. Apart from that I'm with Cyrus, but would recommend an E46 323 or 328 coupe. You can't go far wrong with that. Only a bit outside your budget and there will be a big demand for it when you come to resell. The straight 6 engines are excellent

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

GTV. Buy a goodun and you are laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

GTV. Buy a goodun and you are laughing.

My best mate bought one a month ago or so. He is laughing :D

Then again his is the 3 liter V6. Great engine. The twin spark 2 liter 4-pot is by no means slow in the low-weight GTV, but @150bhp it's not a powerhouse either

GTV in general: great car, but you need to know what you're getting into imho. Not for everyone...

Advertisement