Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all Reason & Protools Genius'

Options
  • 06-07-2006 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello,

I was wondering if it possible to transfer/export Reason from windows to protools on a mac. I have protools with the dididesign box on a mac. i want to be able to record midi through cubase, sort of edit it in reason & then export it to protools Mac where i can add my audio. Maybe there is a simpler way of doing it. I'm also looking to download cubase & reason any ideas of where i can do this? (I don't have access to internet on my mac, but do on windows). As i'm sure you can guess, i wouldn't be the most technical minded of people. I can get by on protools, but want to start adding stuff rather than just recording audio vocals & guitar.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You can export Reason files into Midi (.mid) files which you can import into Protools as midi. If you do this you have to assign sounds to the midi tracks again.

Or you can export the Reason tracks seperately as aiff or wavs and import them into Protools as raw audio.

You can record midi by Protools by the way. Open protools, create a new midi track and assign your midi controller.. erm.. somehow, it's been a while..

I wouldn't do the whole - record in cubase - edit in reason - export to protools, that's a waste of time. You should either do it all in cubase or all of it on protools imo. However they say that Protools is less user friendly for midi than cubase is and vice versa for audio, that I can't give a fair assumption on.

Oh, you can also sync Protools with Reason and afaiu Cubase with Reason so they play at the same time and you may be able to export audio from both at the same time. I haven't ever done that though and I think you need at least Reason 2 and a certain (recent) version of Protools.

Sorry, that may be too much info!

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

I don't have much experience with Protools, but I'm pretty sure you can use Reason (in slave mode) within Protools as a rewire function. Bare in mind you'll have to be using both programs on the same computer. And Protools wont play .rsn files.

It might sound complicated, but Reason kinda works like a VST plugin within Protools. I do the same thing with Reason (slave) and Ableton (master).

You'll get copies of Reason and Cuebase in almost any online audio equipment store. If you're thinking of getting pirated copies, this site is definately not the right place to ask.

To be honest Protools probably isn't the best place to start learning the ins and outs of PC recording. It's a serious piece of software. If you're looking just to record some vocals and guitar tracks. take a look at Garageband. Very user friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Garageband is a good point. You can slave Reason to Garageband easily. Just open Garageband and then after that loads; open Reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

why not just do everything in the mac, opening up reason as a slave? i'm kind of lost about what the problem is?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tasso

Hi, Thanks to y'all for your help. I reckon i should just keep it simple & try it all through the protools. Went onto the Digidesign website & they have a new plugin comin out called "Xpand", seems you can get it for free. Willl have loadsa extra options & patches, just what i've been looking for. Thanks again!! Tasso

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

xpand is actually a decent little sampler, though most of the presets and samples are really really dodgy.

Advertisement