Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for work experience in a Radio station

• 06-07-2006 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

Hi all, maybe someone here can help...................
    im trying to sort out some work experience in a radio station,im hoping to do a two year course on radio broadcasting in september,the thing is its based on interview and evaluation process and i think having so work experience done may help me a lot.I have play on a pirate station before for about six months in cork.
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Most community stations should be able to take on people for work experience.

My own station doesn't do it too much these days as it's so busy it's hard making the time to give a work experience person something to do.

You should be able to find you local station at http://www.craol.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Cuddle - I'm pretty sure the course I did is the one you're going for - BCFE?

They won't expect you to have done work experience in a station to be honest. If you have been in one a few times and based a positive opinion, just talk about it in the interview... tell them how it made you want to work in radio even more etc

If you've done pirate stuff, by all means mention that too.

Don't stress about it too much, show an interest in radio and you'll walk it, a bit of work experience wouldn't do you any harm but it won't go against you if you haven't got any either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Its a BTEC-Higher National Diploma at csn college in cork,its just i know that they always have lots of canidates and was think of having little bit of an edge!!How was the course you did?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Sounds like it's the same course in effect..

Course is good, you learn a bit more than just how to be a radio DJ which is good.. media analysis, computers, marketing etc

One aspect I couldn't figure out was finance.. why oh why you'd need to do a finance module in a radio course I still can't answer. About 80ft from where I sit typing this, is an accountant. He looks after everything to do with finance in the station I work in, if I wanted to be an accountant, I'd have went and completed an accounting degree.

It won't get you a job, getting a foot in the door of a radio station whenever you can (preferably during the duration of the course) AND having the qualification will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Thanks for the advice big balls (ahem):)

• Advertisement
Advertisement