Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Filters. ???

• 06-07-2006 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

Just been trying to help a mate to connect to BT dsl.
    Unsuccessful. Bt sent out two filters (Z-230PJ) both with phone printed on them. I seem to recall when I connect my own the filters were different, one had phone and the other DSL printed on it. Can anyone confirm it is the same model filter goes between wall socket and phone, and wall socket and router. ?? Having checked my own they are different model numbers. The other point if having tried both filters with no DSl connection after 4/5 minutes; as a last resort left out filter and DSL light did the usual and then stayed on steadily.
    Any help greatfully received. The other probelm could be Router password.
    Its Xyel 600 and they suggest 1234 as password, is that ok /??
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the password for my zxyel was 1234 anyways.

about the filters bt can change the filters they give out but they still should work regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Thats coz they sent you two telephone filters, the one one the the DSL marked on one of the sockets > the dsl has a bypass of the filter by plugging into the phone socket you filter out the DSL signal and therefore lose connection.

Just plug router directly into wall plug and plug phone in elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

speedbird1 wrote:
    Just been trying to help a mate to connect to BT dsl.
    Unsuccessful. Bt sent out two filters (Z-230PJ) both with phone printed on them. I seem to recall when I connect my own the filters were different, one had phone and the other DSL printed on it. Can anyone confirm it is the same model filter goes between wall socket and phone, and wall socket and router. ?? Having checked my own they are different model numbers. The other point if having tried both filters with no DSl connection after 4/5 minutes; as a last resort left out filter and DSL light did the usual and then stayed on steadily.
    Any help greatfully received. The other probelm could be Router password.
    Its Xyel 600 and they suggest 1234 as password, is that ok /??
    Thanks

you (he) should have gotten another filter with both a DSL & phone connection on it (model/part no Z330P2J possibly) .
    this is used on the 'main' phone socket, the other filters are for extensions.

if you connect the zyxtel directly to the phone socket unfiltered you may find the dsl drops if a call comes in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Do not use either of the filters received on the DSL modem. They are for phones only. You should have got a third double filter but it's not really needed unless you want to use a phone in the same wall socket as the modem. The DSL side of the double filter is unfiltered anyway.
    Plug the modem directly into the phone socket without any filter and it will work fine.
    if you connect the zyxtel directly to the phone socket unfiltered you may find the dsl drops if a call comes in
    It's the opposite that happens. If you plug a phone into the socket without a filter the connection can drop when a call comes in.
    speedbird1, bear in mind that some customers of BT and others have received their equipment before their accounts are fully setup. I've come across this a good bit lately so even though you may have everything setup properly, it still mightened work.
    The router password is 1234 but when you get in there you'll need the connection username/password to log onto the internet. They are assigned when you sign up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭speedbird1

Thanks to all for advice. The DSL & phone filter (Z330P2J) was missing becuse
    when I used mine to test it, logged on no problem. Running without filter now till replacement from BT arrives.

• Advertisement
Advertisement