Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Rail Corridor

• 11-10-2007 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

On another thread, the debate on the WRC has beat itself to death. I havent created this thread to reignite that debate as that would be yet another futile exercise. The purpose of this particular thread is to concentrate on the section of the WRC from Claremorris to Collooney. While the section from Ennis to Claremorris has been featured in T21, despite a "doctored" report that contradicts it, I think its worth discussing the much loved and adored portion known as the "Burma Road".

Many of us will remember that Eamonn O'Cuiv, stated that this section would be cleared and fenced off to prevent further destruction and prepare it for any planned reopening. While its generally accepted that this stretch will not happen, it is still a bone of contention to campaigners for the reopening of the entire WRC. I accept that Ennis - Athenry has some potential, if deviations are considered. I would also accept that Tuam - Galway could have potential, if the aforemention deviations were considered. As for Tuam - Claremorris, I'd agree with the "original" McCann report, before it was "nobbled" by someone. Overall, I believe that the WRC project has plenty of time on its side and should get in line. But thats a debate thats been done before.

So, today,(at short notice) I was afforded the opportunity to visit Tubbercurry/Tobercurry (depending on which sign you read). This town lies nearly mid way along the WRC, between Claremorris and Collooney. I decided that I just couldn't visit and not meet up with me oul former P11 buddy, Thomas S.(resident in the area.) We've had our differences and will continue to do so, but our shared passion for the development of sensible rail transport in this country is a bond that can't be ignored. We are both of the same mindset in relation to the WRC, but Thomas actually lives beside it and can see and hear local reaction. This is what sets him apart from some posters that disagree with him.

Off we went on a little trip of this section of the WRC, from Swinford to Tubbercurry. We paid a visit to the site of his infamous "photo", where the line has been turned into a driveway. Its not fake, its real. I seen it with my own eyes. Within a short distance of it, there were more examples.(farm yards etc) By the time we got to Charlestown, it was even more scarier. The line crosses the N17 here. While the station has been cleaned up by a FAS scheme, the approach to it has been "landscaped" under at least 3 feet of grass and incorporated into a car dealership. We talked to locals, all of whom thought the plan to reopen this section was daft. During the course of our ramble in Charlestown, we met a former Director of Knock Airport (retired last year). He was extremely critical of the plan to reopen the WRC north of Athenry and of suggestions of building a spur to Knock Airport! He referred to the existing connecting bus to the airport, as the "ghost bus" with an average of 10 users per day. His attitude regarding this particular stretch of the WRC, is that the money would be better spent on health, including the funds earmarked to fence it off. His reference to the campaigners is too insulting to post including their "protest" that had no more than 20 people at it in Charlestown.

Some may not believe what I have said. But this is the reality that has been hidden from the general public. As a representative of P11 and in line with keeping an eye on proposed rail projects, any further campaigning for this particular section of the WRC is nothing but fantasy. Even the Government didn't ignore this fact and thats why it didn't make T21. But campaigners for the WRC wanted this section prioritised. It won't work and will never work. The line is like a roller coaster. It follows every hill that the N17 follows. Go look at it for yourselves. Its the only way to fully appreciate how bonkers it is.
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement