Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need help with gear knob

Options
  • 07-07-2006 8:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey, I'm looking to change the gear knoc on my Opel Corsa 5 door. I can't seem to get the old one off. Does anyone know how to get it off without resorting to a hacksaw?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

As far as I know, your car has a lift-up reverse. If you're replacing it with another knob, make sure it's one that supports lift-up reverse.

I find the easiest way to get the gearknob off (AFAIK it's glued on) is to use a strap type oil filter removal tool (pictured, very cheap)
    OilChange-02.jpg
    and turn the gearknob around. It should just come off then.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bspoke

I had a corsa B a few years back and replaced it with an aftermarket gearknob. The standard gearknob is just held on by friction and can be pulled off with a lot of perseverance (sp) just be carful when pulling it off as you could possibily damage the gears.

Just take your time with it and you should be ok. I used a vice grips to get it loose at first and then just gently worked it up and off.

Oh yeah most aftermarket gearknobs recomend that you retighten the gear knob after a week or so of driving. Make sure you keep the allen key in the glove box cause I forgot to retighten it and it came off in my hand one day while driving through town. Once I got home and retightened it it was grand for a year or so after that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Most of the opel knobs must be cut off as they are just rubber ****e. get a junior hacksaw to it and you'll have it off in no time.... Pity when lads start getting knob trouble :)

Advertisement