Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Cartridge do you shoot?

Options
  • 07-07-2006 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

One for the Game hunters!

What brand and size shot does everyone use for ducks & Pheasants etc?
    Just trying to see what the most popular game cartridge is.

Personally I use Lyalvale Express No.6 for all my game shooting. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I use Remington shur shot No. 5 And No. 6 not cheap but i would'nt use anything else.:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

we use a lot of eley cartridges.

Usually express 6 for pheasants with a 5 for the final shot

and usually use alphamax cartridges 4, 5 and 6 depending where we are. Pond, lake or walking the shore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 PAIMEI

My local gun dealer stocks a cartridge called OK, 31g 6's made by nobel sport, they're a great all round cartridge, I fire them at pheasants, pigeons, crows, rabbits everything really, find them very good and cheap too at 4.50euro a box. For ducks I use 32g 6's, Velox by nobel sport. Used to use much heavier and more powerful cartridges like Eley Maximum 4,5 and 6s, then used to use Nobel sport 36g 4, 5 and 6's and I've used express plenty before too, a very good cartridge, but OK work out cheaper and are reliable, anyone else come across them, because 31g strikes me as a strange load weight. Also I'm not sure if nobel sport make the cartridges or just the gun powder, their name is stamped on the brass.

31g is indeed a strange load.

Anyone ever see NIKE cartridges

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I use Ely 7 1/2 for most stuff, I have just ordered a turkey choke for the Beretta A303 for some longer distance shots , Be interesting to see exactly what the gun is capable of then...
    I have used other cartridges too Sellier and Bellot in 7 and Ely Grand Prix in 7 as well all seemed to do the job.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Hezz700 wrote:
    I use Remington shur shot No. 5 And No. 6 not cheap but i would'nt use anything else.:D :D:D

Yeah Remingtons are good. I tend to like Express aswell i fine that they are
    very clean because with a semi auto cleanness is a must its less hassle cleaning afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Tunet 36grm 6's
    €5/box

Working grand and those budget concious, they are cheap!!!!

TomBeckett wrote:
    very clean because with a semi auto cleanness is a must its less hassle cleaning afterwards.

yup i think the express are a fine cartridge

newby if you are being charged 5 euro a box imagine what the dealer is buying them in for

€5/BOX OF 25!!!

€40 PER CASE(8 BOXES)

Should have been clearer

newby.204 wrote:
    €5/BOX OF 25!!!

€40 PER CASE(8 BOXES)

Should have been clearer

i understood. I was just saying you pay 5 euro per box(which is a good price for a box of ammo), the dealer probably gets them in for what 2.50-3 euro or even less. Oh to have a dealers license

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

TomBeckett wrote:

Yep, my semi likes them for the same reason.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Anyone know of any dealers here doing Federal shotgun loads?
    Remington,winchester or eley high brass for duck,or fox.
    Any generic load for clay that is the cheapest at the time.
    Roll on reloading.

Vegeta wrote:
    i understood. I was just saying you pay 5 euro per box(which is a good price for a box of ammo), the dealer probably gets them in for what 2.50-3 euro or even less. Oh to have a dealers license

Ah sorry i didn know what you were saying, thought you were refering to quality of ammo at €5/case as above if you get me...........

Wouldnt mind a dealers licence myself.............................

Ah now to snap out of that dream!!!!

Anyone know of any dealers here doing Federal shotgun loads?
    Remington,winchester or eley high brass for duck,or fox.
    Any generic load for clay that is the cheapest at the time.
    Roll on reloading.

Is it difficult to reload shotgun cartridges???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

newby.204 wrote:
    Is it difficult to reload shotgun cartridges???
    No more difficult than reloading anything else; here's a step-by-step:
    http://www.youthtrapshooter.com/reloading.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 PAIMEI

I remember my father having Nike cartridges, they were fairly good too, cant remember what load or numbers he had.
    CJHaughey, they're light cartridges you're talking about, you must be a good shot, I was told once by a fella that if you couldnt shoot pheasants with 28g 6's or 7's you were at nothing, I've tried to lower the load I'm firing (31g 6's at the min) but I always lack the confidence to go too low and I'd find myself blaming the cartridge for the long shot that didnt come off.. Its funny how everyone has such differing opinions of their cartridge choice..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I wouldn't say that I am a good shot Paimei, as the old saying goes: Better Lucky than good!

Just got

2boxes 42grm 3's
    1box 36grm 3's

FOR FIFTEEN EURO

All three boxes were five euro each

Just a recommendation

Heffernans Building Supplies
    Kildare town
    Co. Kildare

They know what the are talkng about too!!!!

PAIMEI wrote:
    I was told once by a fella that if you couldnt shoot pheasants with 28g 6's or 7's you were at nothing, I've tried to lower the load I'm firing (31g 6's at the min) but I always lack the confidence to go too low and I'd find myself blaming the cartridge for the long shot that didnt come off.. Its funny how everyone has such differing opinions of their cartridge choice..

well i always use the golf analogy to explain to non shooters why there are different loads.

It depends on the lie of the shot for what club you use, you wouldn't use a sandwedge to tee off. If I was shooting driven pheasant there's no way i'd be using 7's, they'd be coming over trees and going like a rocket and maybe 60 yards away. I'd probably use a 6 and a 5.

If i was walking in tall grass where I new (from hunting the land before) the pheasants would break from 15-yards ahead of me, then i would use 7's no problem and let them out to about 35 yards. for this type of shooting i'd prob use a 7 and a 6

That's just me though

I cant wait til the opening day of the season when i start thinking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Does anyone remember Gevorlet Nickel 7.5, or am I showing my age!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Well I shoot Lyalvale 6's 36gr at pheasants and ducks
    28gr 7 1/2 at greys,crows and mags
    Alphamax BB's for the foxes
    Vegeta wrote:

Auld lad used to have a dealers licence (80's)...I remember when I was knee-high the artic used to pull up out front and we had a big trolley for bringin in pallets of cartridges, and clays, used to have the big trapsand huts stored here too......actually its one of the few memories I have of when i was that young :rolleyes:
    He said he got out of it cause he was makin about 50p a box!! ...twas only worth sellin them at clay pigeon shoots cause he could shift so many in one day...so twas mainly trap cartridges he stocked...also he was tellin me some dealers are less strict now sellin them on to individual shooters or groups of shooters in quantites above what they should have in their possesion, thats was undermining him as a smaller dealer....still has a pulse ID mind and used to get letters when the law was changed sayin what the new regulations are even though he hasn't had the licence in years....go figure :)
    was funny tho readin his records book

actually on that my licence says I can only have 25 cartridges...1 box :eek:
    dunno why ??
    was wonderin how i could change that now that its renewal time again ??

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

DIANA, 32 grams, 7 & a 1/2s, deadly. 5 euro a box 25.
    Keelan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭coyote6

.40 S&W very, very quickly!:D (HK UMP .40 SMG)

(big ugly troll is me....my apologies)

coyote6 wrote:
    .40 S&W very, very quickly!:D (HK UMP .40 SMG)

(big ugly troll is me....my apologies)

is that you in the pic, if so....that's so coooool

Vegeta wrote:

Hes from America or maybe Canada(if his bio is correct) so there is a good chanse that that is him in the pic Veg

As im relatively new to shooting shotguns, im still trying to find my "load", you know that one cartridge you think is the be all and end all!!

Tried Fiocchi 32grm 6's, Hated 'em

Right now ive got

Tunet 36grm(1.25oz) 3's
    Tunet 36grm(1.25oz) 5's
    Lyalvale Express Super Game 42grm(1.5oz) 3's

Anyone have any personal opinion on what ive got there feel free to let me know what you think/feel about 'em

Oh yea would the Lyalvale 3's drop a fox HUMANELY??
    I know i should use a BB or a magnum load but well i like my shoulder as its still attached!!!

Vegeta wrote:

That's me. We got the UMP a little while a go and I issued it to the guy who took the pic. I use a Colt M16 w/ a 14.5 bbl. I'll take a pic of it if you want to see it.

I'm comin' to Ireland in 4 1/2 days! Order some sunshine!:D It'll be a relief, cool weather w/ no sweltering body armor!

coyote6 wrote:
    That's me. We got the UMP a little while a go and I issued it to the guy who took the pic. I use a Colt M16 w/ a 14.5 bbl. I'll take a pic of it if you want to see it.

I'm comin' to Ireland in 4 1/2 days! Order some sunshine!:D It'll be a relief, cool weather w/ no sweltering body armor!

you are a member of a swat team...I have a whole new respect for you.

There is a big difference between liking guns because they shoot great on the range or they are very handy for hunting but you guys might have to engage with human targets.

I am impressed to be honest. I would love to see pics of your gear, obviously nothing that would get you in trouble or anything.

Yesterday it was pissing rain but this evening is beautiful, the sky is perfectly clear. sun is sinking slowly and a nice breeze blowing. Its 21.40 but i had to wear sun glasses driving in to Limerick as the sun is so low in the sky.

Bring some of that weather with you we could use it.

Thanks for the good word. You wouldn't believe the nutters we deal with! I tried to upload a pic of my M-16 but it isn't working. I'll try again later.

The long range forecast for Dublin looks like I'm bringing some nice weather with me!

P.S. We're a 13 man team. I've been on the team for 7 yrs and on the P.D. for 9. Sometimes I think we're the nutters.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Respect man!Do it to them before they do it to you!

Advertisement