Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASP.net or PHP

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Also the market keeps changing so you have to keep an eye and re-evaluate your tactical choices as you go.

Java is set to join the floss community according to sun, that's a big choice in the enterprise space. Perl6 seperates parsing, compilation and runtime. It will compile to Parrot bytecode by default, but will also be convertible to java, C, Python or what not.

This interchangeable runtime engine tactic is good news for developers bringing more choice and ease of distribution, and will save customers money by allowing a single platform host a wider variety of applications.

I've a few cribs about ms on principle, they seek to dominate (market imperialism if you will), they play nasty (at least their legal goons have stopped with the threatening letters since their last phone call gave me an opportunity to clarify my absolute lack of interest in using any of their software at all, let alone illegally), while they themselves break the law repeatedly availing of justice lag to consolidate ill-gotten gains.

Technically I found their strategy to dominate leads to less choice as a developer, as each application is designed to work fully only with other ms offerings, with cut-down interoperability for non-ms components. For many people it's the technical arguments that endear them to floss, for me it's both principle and practical.

But they're slowly finding their grip loosened as the rest of the IT world moves to offer greater choice and ms customers who invest heavily in IT begin to demand it. So I'm optimistic that after much kicking, screaming, and gnashing of teeth ms will eventually recognise that they need to respect others and play fair. Hence I believe they will survive and .net is thus a fair bet in the long term as a career choice for many.

Advertisement