Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookcase door, what are the solutions?

Options
  • 07-07-2006 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

I want to replace a door with what appears to be a bookcase like in all those horror movies. I am aware it won't really blend in seemlessly as it will be in a door way but I want it to be close.

I saw somebody do it on a DIY show butthe details missed me.

The kind of questions I have are:

1) What do you think would work as a handle but not look out of place
    2) The depth of the door would be an issue any ideas what would be best
    3) Any other suggestion for a door would be nice

Anybody know of somebody willing to do it would be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭अधिनायक

Handle: a centre shelf could have an oval hole to grip. Or else use a fake wooden 'book'. In movies, they usually tweak a nearby ornament to unlock the door. Easy enough to do.

The weight of books will strain the hinges. Things may tend to fall off the shelves if the door is in frequent use or used by kids.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Depth of the door is entirely up to you. You would need to angle the opening side of the case to give the same dimension from the hinge centrepin, as on the closed face of the door.

Support is not a problem either , with the right hinges , and maybe support castor.

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

I remember seeing this on a DIY show and thinking 'what kind of person would want to do that?' Now I know...

First they went to a second hand book sale and bought a couple of boxes of old books with gilt bindings etc.
    To solve the weight problem they sawed through each book so that it was only about 2 inches from spine to the edge and glued them firmly into place in a specially made 3-inch-shallow "book case". So the finished door was only an inch or so thicker than a standard door.

For the hinges you could use whatever would be used for a big heavy 1-hour fire door - you could use the self-closing chain they have as well.

If I remember right, an "ornament" which was also affixed onto the back of the book-case acted as the handle. For your horror movie effect, this could be a fake skull.

I guess something like this would be a bit of fun to make, but I don't know if I could do that to a book, nevermind a crate-load of them!

Advertisement