Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing sash windows with pvc

Options
  • 07-07-2006 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at a property at present which has old timber sash windows which will need to be replaced. I was wondering if it would be acceptable to replace these with white pvc windows which will be maintenance free?

The house is a semi detached in an old estate. As far as I can see the other houses still have their original sash windows

If I was to simply replace the sash windows with new sash windows would this mean that planning permission would not be required?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

thejuggler wrote:
    I'm also thinking of making other changes such as an attic conversion, putting in a stairs to the attic and velux roof windows to the rear of the property (not visible from the front). I'm wondering if I will need to apply for planning permission for these changes or is it not necessary?

Or if I was to simply replace the sash windows with new sash windows would this mean that planning permission would not be required?
    Could you please edit your post to make this more of a hypothetical situation as nobody can give you legal advice regarding the need for planning permission.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

thejuggler wrote:
    ..to replace these with white pvc windows which will be maintenance free?...

Hi,

Interesting that you mention "maintainence free" in relation to PVC windows. When I was speaking to companies with respect to replacement windows, they said that PVC were maintainance free but only last a realitive short period of time (they said 20 - 25 years) where as the wooden windows that they were selling would last probably beyond 100 years.

They said that as regards maintainance, once every year, you wipe that year's dirt off them, and every 5-10 years (depending on weather aspect), you give one light coat of paint. Thats it.

There is also a security aspect - certain PVC windows are very easy to break into. Where the wooden ones are much more difficult. The seals are better which also improves sound and heat insulation.

Personally I don't like the look of PVC windows and I will be replacing the PVC windows in my house with wooden ones.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭AJL

There is a crowd call Dungannon windows that do a lovely UPVC sash window in white or oak. You have to get up real close to see the difference. I think if windows last 25 years thats good enough for me!! Also I had wood windows and there was the painting to be done every one to two years. My house is quite big so I'm not willing to put in the work for wood windows. No doubt wood looks better no matter how good the PVC but are you willing to do the maintenance? It is purely a personal choice

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Make the windows in wood, and give the house back its traditional look.

There are places for pvc sash windows. This is not it. You will destroy the aesthetic beauty of this traditional cottage.

Wel hypothetically speaking, if your house was old enough , listed, or of architectural importance, you could qualify for a grant towards wooden sash windows, made in a traditional manner. You would also get guidance on all manner of subjects related to your windows. Of course this is all hypothetical.

kadman

Advertisement