Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trying to sell a car:- the Linky!!!!

Options
  • 07-07-2006 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Ok,

Here's the long overdue link to the car for sale.

Tell me what you think.

The Car for Sale

To those of you who are new to this, here was the original thread.
    The Original Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Also for those who are new here, ie BoozyBabe:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054957663

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Questions ::

Engine: 1.4 Diesel -Is this correct??? Does this have a turbo?
    128KMH for a 2003 car!!! :eek: (Thats been used A LOT).

I'm afraid if the above is correct he will have to sell it for a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

I am not trying to sell a car here, never have!!!!!

I posted a thread (linked above) a few days ago asking the readers if they could suggest reasons why my friend couldn't shift this car.

Practically everyone of them asked me to post up a link so they could get a look so they could help / advise me better.

That's all I'm doing.

I'm not new here, I know exactly where things should be posted, & I'm just about to post this car as an ad on Adverts.ie.

Thank you,
    BB

layke wrote:
    Questions ::

Engine: 1.4 Diesel -Is this correct??? Does this have a turbo?
    128KMH for a 2003 car!!! :eek: (Thats been used A LOT).

I thought the 1.4 diesel sounded funny also, but I checked & there are a lot of others for sale on the site stating the same, so it must be.

It's not my car, I just got the details written on paper, so I don't know about turbo.

Yes, the miles did shock me a bit too, but I was talking to a few people who drove it & they said it was fantastic, mileage hasn't had an affect at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

That Mileage is huge. On a 2.5 year old car that works out at an average of over 50,000 kmh per year. I'd say that's the main reason why he can't shift this car. People are going to expect a 03 car to do them a good while but that mileage raises doubts and will be off-putting to a punter. As well as that, I'm sure the mileage has exceeded the limit for the manufacturer's warranty too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

The mileage is on the high side but a Peugeot diesel is well able for it once its serviced regularly - it wouldn't stop me buying the car. The reason the car isn't selling is that it is white and has plastic wheeltrims. Honest. White cars just don't sell, don't ask me why. They are very popular in Japan (white is considered lucky) but they don't sell here. Stick on some big cheap alloys and put the price up to cover the cost and it will sell.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

1.4HDi is a common engine in 206's. Its apparently a very good and reliable unit, but like the others said, it has crazy miles for a 3 year old supermini.

If I was buying it, i wouldn't pay that much for it and i'd be looking for a proper service history.

Thanks for all the feedback folks.

Like I said, it's not my car, so don't be afraid of offending me with your comments.

I agree with everything that's been said so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭gstonesmx5

dont know what he has outstanding on the loan repayments but he
    might think about just covering them and not making a profit.
    if this is whats outstanding then he is propper fu===d and might have yo sell at a loss. nice car good condition and a forever engine but you would only buy it if it were cheaper and what you needed. could look at tradin or loan extension to bring down payments and drive it till it stops going.
    good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I thought the smaller diesel engines only came out in 2005. Well you learn something new every day.

All in all, I doubt there is much you can do to sell that car. Regardless of how tough an engine it is I as a consumer would not touch the car for love nor money. Especially if browsing though the buy and sell and other car sites.

I think he is looking at a cheaper price unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=463732

By hiding part of the number plate i feel you may be hiding some thing. It cant be checked on cartell.ie or any other way.

but i guess some people should defo use this no plate hiding technique
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=432825
    cant believe its stilll hasnt been changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Ok, my first impression is the car is not a nice looking car! nothin on engine or anything but from the pics its just not a nice looking car, even my mates Light Blue 206 looked a nicer car

This is just a personal opinion!
    JoeySully wrote:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=463732

By hiding part of the number plate i feel you may be hiding some thing. It cant be checked on cartell.ie or any other way.

but i guess some people should defo use this no plate hiding technique
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=432825
    cant believe its stilll hasnt been changed.

I always hide number plates on ads, there is nothing new on that! it is just for the security of the seller, if your interested in buying then ring and ask for number plate and I am sure the buyer will have no probs giving you details

Edit, ok its a diesel so he/she should be trying to get a young carpenter etc who will do alot of milage going to and from work to sell it, Monaghan is a bad selling area because alot of people head up North and buy up there(Im from Cavan by the way so I know), there best option is it they are not using the car daily to drop if off in Cavan along N3(alot of people commute from Cavan to Dublin) and put for sale signs on it, could be lucky to get some young person who is doing the Cavan to Dublin drive that mite like the idea of a diesel, make sure to mark on signs diesel because majority of people see a 206 and think petrol

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&sortby=MakeDesc&maxrows=100&Make=Peugeot&MakeID=22&Model=206&ModelID=204&Engine_Max=1400&FuelID=2&BodyID=4236&Year_Min=2003&Year_Max=2003&GroupID=738

Looks like the price is a little high!
    Or the Location also.
    Got a friend in Dublin?
    Then dorp it down there. might get the price you are looking for

Big Nelly wrote:
    I always hide number plates on ads, there is nothing new on that! it is just for the security of the seller, if your interested in buying then ring and ask for number plate and I am sure the buyer will have no probs giving you details

Have to say I agree with this.
    I know nothing about the car apart from what was given to me.
    The phone number is the number of the sellers, not mine, so I don't need to know any more details about it.

BUT:- it was me who removed the number plate, not the seller. I did it for the exact reason Big Nelly said. I've just never liked posting pics of my cars with the number plate readable, so I removed his aswell??????

If a potentail buyer is interested enough, they will ask for the number plate to do whatever checking before parting with cash.

Just my opinion

BoozyBabe wrote:
    Have to say I agree with this.
    I know nothing about the car apart from what was given to me.
    The phone number is the number of the sellers, not mine, so I don't need to know any more details about it.

BUT:- it was me who removed the number plate, not the seller. I did it for the exact reason Big Nelly said. I've just never liked posting pics of my cars with the number plate readable, so I removed his aswell??????

If a potentail buyer is interested enough, they will ask for the number plate to do whatever checking before parting with cash.

Just my opinion

Correct opinion and you will fiind alot of people on here to back you up!

BoozyBabe wrote:
    It's over €3k cheaper than the next cheapest!! :confused:

Its a 5 dr and has rain sensing wipers and 30000 less miles
    go back another 30000 miles and you get €13,000

I really don't think 30,000 miles warrants such a BIG difference in price.

Some people actually seek a 3 door over a 5 door (I'm not one of them, but they do exist)
    & the wipers are a "nice to have" feature.

There's not €5.5k of a difference there IMO, but what do I know.

(But as I earlier said:- unfortunately the colour would be a definite no for me anyway, before I even looked at anything else, but hopefully he'll find someone who doesn't share the same view)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

If that car got a haircut he'd shift it no bother;)

Or maybe even just dyed the hair a different colour :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

A white Peugeot? Oh dear... I bet someone regrets shaking that hand 3 years ago..

The 207 usually looks ok, but the colour, ugly wheel caps and high mileage will put people off... Actually, the fact that it is €3,000 cheaper than the next car would make potential buyers suspect there is something seriously wrong with the car!

I'd say Diesel wouldn't attract many people either, other than craftsman/commuting occupations. Get new wheels!

I'd say Diesel wouldn't attract many people either, other than craftsman/commuting occupations. Get new wheels!

Carpenter straight out of fas are begging for diesel cars on the cheap

Big Nelly wrote:
    Carpenter straight out of fas are begging for diesel cars on the cheap

€7,500 is not going to be cheap for a carpenter straight out of fás!

€7,500 is not going to be cheap for a carpenter straight out of fás!

When your buying diesel its not very cheap!!

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

maybe i'm being dense here, but why bother hiding the number plate?

Advertisement