Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Problem

Options
  • 07-07-2006 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I've got an NTL problem.
    There are three connections coming off the main feed.
    One to the NTL box, one to the kitchen and one to the bedroom.
    The first two are fine but the bedroom one is a very bad signal.
    All distorted and crackling.

Any ideas on how best to fix.
    Will it need to be re-wired.
    Needless to say the central point is in the box outside and not in the attic.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Distorting and crackling usually means that the cable running to the TV is faulty or the point to which it is wired has been wired badly, which may need to be stripped and reconnected.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

try swapping the cable from the wall box to the TV, these are prone to bad connections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dmck

Had a similar problem about two years ago with a feed to the bedroom (diy from previous owner) that was split at the main box. Could not get to the cable feed into the bedroom. Bought a TV signal booster (4-port 20euro approx) and it sorted it out, signal is perfect now. Although if your paying NTL for the additional boxes, I’d get them to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭BuilderBob

I've tried swapping them around outside but no joy.

As the main connection is outside how/where would the booster work best.

I only have one official NTL point (with the decoder attached) and would pay them for he extra points but am more worried that it will require a re-wire.
    Any simple ways of checking this out?
    I suppose the simplest is to get them to do the checking!!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes, best get NTL to fix it.

When you say that only one point is an official NTL point, were the other points connected without NTL's knowledge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Agree with previous posts firstly check all connections are clean and secure.

Usually you require a signal booster to compensate fall off in signal strength that occurs when feed is split into 3 or more sub feeds, also applicable where second or subsequent runs are very long, main box at front of house whilst second box at rear of house.

Boosters are very easy for average DIY, if you contact NTL expect downstream to pay additional monthly charges!!

New owners (NTL + Chorus) announced this week 300+ redundancies from Sept. Presume Revenue streams to come under scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I have a chorus signal split 3 ways (unofficially - only paying for 1) but I had to get a signal booster. I just took the original cable (coming from the decoder) where it was going into the tv and put that into the 'in' box on the booster. Then there are 3 or 4 'out' sockets depending on the particular model you get. You then have one going to each tv & I have perfect picture on all 3. Your booster has to be plugged into an electrical socket, but if you do it by the tv, it shouldn't be a problem. It shouldn't be a problem if you're handy with diy. It might be different if the house is pre-wired - I was doing it in my mothers where there's no pre-wiring - just spaghetti(sp?) junction instead...

Advertisement