Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mastodon Return!

• 07-07-2006 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

http://www.myspace.com/mastodon
    New song posted up on their MySpace. Very good IMO, can't wait for Blood Mountain. It should be one of the best things this year i hope. What do people thing of the new track so?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It didn't grab me, I must say. Then again, I loved Leviathan for the first week, then hated it for a month and loved it ever since, so I think what I'm trying to say is I'll give it a bit of time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Aye, I was more hoping for a return to that more gut wrenching and powerful sound found on Remission, but instead they've opted to go lighter in their approach. The riffs have an almost "SLayer Lite" feel which I'm not digging. I don't want to give up on the band, but things ain't looking good here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Charm Offensive

Didn't like it much upon first listen - three or four listens later and I love it. Plus, it's probably one of the less deranged, brutally heavy and idiosyncratic tracks from the album seeing as they're sticking it up on myspace to try and attract people. As with the Lamb of God thread, it kinda makes me scratch my head out of confusion when people start using a single track preview for an album as a basis for a rant/argument/savage indictment of a new direction which a band may or may not be taking. So less of that fellas :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

heard it yesterday. its not bad, but its a big step back from Leviathan. they seem to have lost their sludginess; its not nearly as heavy as i would have hoped. big Thin Lizzy influence tho, which is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Didn't like it much upon first listen - three or four listens later and I love it. Plus, it's probably one of the less deranged, brutally heavy and idiosyncratic tracks from the album seeing as they're sticking it up on myspace to try and attract people. As with the Lamb of God thread, it kinda makes me scratch my head out of confusion when people start using a single track preview for an album as a basis for a rant/argument/savage indictment of a new direction which a band may or may not be taking. So less of that fellas :P
    Isn't that what you've just done, except you've just made a positive judgement on the forthcoming material? So it's only ok to give your opinion if you like it, not if you dislike it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I don't think it's a grower at all, I liked it first time! Can't wait for Blood Mountain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

thoguht it was good first time too. The blood mountain artwork is helluva class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Havent heard it yet cause im on dial up but if its like anything from the first album i wont be diggin it, the only good song from leviathen imo is blood and thunder, but what a song that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Charm Offensive

Isn't that what you've just done, except you've just made a positive judgement on the forthcoming material? So it's only ok to give your opinion if you like it, not if you dislike it?

Eh, no. The only piece of speculation I made is that the track in question is probably one of the more accessible ones from the forthcoming release because they've chosen it to be a preview sampler type deal. If there's bludgeoningly heavy six-minute head****s of songs on the new album, they ain't gonna be on myspace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Just heard it again and i listened over the older mastadon stuff, i just cant get into them.I think all there songs are no brained and bland, but thats just me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Just got around to listening to the new single. I really like the drumming in the intro but apart from that it's not the best. It's OK but not a patch on Leviathan or Remission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

Lighter but still pretty dam good. The main riff is a bit "flaotie" but i can still see one hell af a pit for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

yeah have to say i'm really into it

IMO, mastadon can do no wrong :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

They left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Per Liefsonson

On the first listen, I didn't think much of it. Second time not so much either. Really grew on me the third time though. Very good stuff. Appreciating it more with every listen.

Advertisement