Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Sale scam??

Options
  • 07-07-2006 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Don't know if this is widely known or not, a search didn't turn anything up.

I'm selling my car and placed an ad in car buyers guide. I got recently got an email from an English based company called vehiclematch.org, followed by a phone call. They claim to have 5 clients who want to see the car and are willing to pay over the asking price. They promise to send on the details once I pay their adminitrative fees of £99.00

This to me is obviously a scam, having checked out the company on google there are numerous reports of people falling for this and never hearing anything from any prospective buyers.

So a word to the wise, the scammers are branching out to Irish sellers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

When you place an ad with Carzone, they tell you about the whole thing.

Very good of them, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Scam avoid like the plague.They have been ringing around before!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

BoozyBabe wrote:
    When you place an ad with Carzone, they tell you about the whole thing.

Very good of them, I think.

That is good, I checked on cbg but didn't see any obvious place to post info like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I got a phone call from these aswell. Guy on the phone said if my car wasn't sold, I'd get the €100 back. Asked him to email me their terms so I could check them out, he did it. Never heard back from them. I still have the email if anyone wants to see it.

EDIT: The call I got was from vehiclecentre.org

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

scumbag scam aritsts... hang and don't talk to them....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

they stung me 2 years ago..exact same sales pitch..i was naieve and desperate to sell the car. Took my 99.00 and never heard a word from them again..I hope they call me back again someday for a chat!

I wish there was someway to get them back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

they stung me 2 years ago..exact same sales pitch..i was naieve and desperate to sell the car. Took my 99.00 and never heard a word from them again..I hope they call me back again someday for a chat!

Set up a premium rate phoneline, advertise cars with ridiculously high prices so no genuine callers will ring and keep the scammers on the line for 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I got the same thing when selling the Triumph the other week - same people, claiming to have a dozen punters in Co. Meath who were wanting to buy a 1975 Triumph Stag.

Er... really ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭djeclips

Have these guys ringing me daily,from motorhelp to vehiclematch etc.Never entertain them too much.

What a job eh??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Did you pay by visa? If so, all you had to do is ring up your bank and say it was an unauthorised deduction from your card and your bank would have refunded you. Telephone authorisation for credit cards is no authorisation, the power is with the card owner :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bogman44

I've my car up for sale on Carzone and i've had an inquiry from some guy.
    It seems a bit strange. He asked me for photos and other details, all of which were on the site. I may be a bit paranoid but this is a recent email from him.
    I gave him my phone number but he hasn't phoned.
    Thanks for the mail, i just view the car from the site and it looks good and i ask my mechanic to view the car too so i will be waiting to hear from him, at the moment i will like you give me your contact Address, NAME, ADDRESS, TELEPHONE, so i can give to my mechanic to come and view the car, and regarding the price i will offer you 5,700 euros, please do get back to me with the address.

Thanks and regards to your Family.

Henry.

FULL NAME,,,,,,,,,,,,??

ADDRESS,,,,,,,,,,,,,??

CITY,,,,,,,,,,,??

STATE,,,,,,,,,,??

TEL,,,,,,,,,,??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

bogman44 wrote: »
    I've my car up for sale on Carzone and i've had an inquiry from some guy.
    It seems a bit strange. He asked me for photos and other details, all of which were on the site. I may be a bit paranoid but this is a recent email from him.
    I gave him my phone number but he hasn't phoned.
    Thanks for the mail, i just view the car from the site and it looks good and i ask my mechanic to view the car too so i will be waiting to hear from him, at the moment i will like you give me your contact Address, NAME, ADDRESS, TELEPHONE, so i can give to my mechanic to come and view the car, and regarding the price i will offer you 5,700 euros, please do get back to me with the address.

Thanks and regards to your Family.

Henry.

FULL NAME,,,,,,,,,,,,??

ADDRESS,,,,,,,,,,,,,??

CITY,,,,,,,,,,,??

STATE,,,,,,,,,,??

TEL,,,,,,,,,,??

This one is a scam as well. The grammar in his sentence structure is poor and the words don't sit right together.....plus the fact I got 5 of these in one day from FIVE people who "work" in Canada with operations in Greece and wanted to ship the car over to Canada.....some bullsh!t story like that. It followed the same format with the name, address, city, state etc.....

Most people will only send an email to enquire about something small on the car, if the advert isn't clear. Genuine people will call the number and ask the more serious questions and arrange a viewing.

As a rule people looking to buy your car won't want want you to give them money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

pete4130 wrote: »
    This one is a scam as well. The grammar in his sentence structure is poor and the words don't sit right together.....plus the fact I got 5 of these in one day from FIVE people who "work" in Canada with operations in Greece and wanted to ship the car over to Canada.....some bullsh!t story like that. It followed the same format with the name, address, city, state etc.....

Most people will only send an email to enquire about something small on the car, if the advert isn't clear. Genuine people will call the number and ask the more serious questions and arrange a viewing.

As a rule people looking to buy your car won't want want you to give them money.

They will ask you to pay the shipping deposit to gaurantee that the container will be reserved for them or something like that.

I have GF's car up within hours on Carzone and I got a call from a lady called Anne working for Motorfind and she was based in Cyprus.

He hadn't asked for money but i presume that was the next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The UK authorities must be cracking down on these pricks now that they all seem to be moving to Cyprus!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

I've gotten many emails like the above. In my last job, I decided to keep responding to the emails to see how far it would go. They always ask for the "final selling price of the vehicle" and also always enquire about "you and your family" (How nice :rolleyes:). So in the heel of the hunt, they sent a cheque for $25,000 which was way over the price of the vehicle we were selling (even with exchange rates etc.). I passed the cheque to my boss and stopped replying to the emails. The emails got quite forceful and they said that they thought they'd sent more than the required amount so could I refund the difference to their bank (conveniently located abroad). The thing was, the cheque was very very obviously printed on a bog standard deskjet printer.
    Anything that asks you for money is more than likely a scam.

That's incredible.
    Do people fall for this sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

kluivert wrote: »
    They will ask you to pay the shipping deposit to gaurantee that the container will be reserved for them or something like that.

I have GF's car up within hours on Carzone and I got a call from a lady called Anne working for Motorfind and she was based in Cyprus.

ohhhh.............her.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

bogman44 wrote: »
    That's incredible.
    Do people fall for this sort of thing.

Whenever I hear of scams, I always think the same thing. And you'd be amazed at the amount of people that do. In the heat of the moment, a quick second of indecision and thoughtlessness can do an awful lot of damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I've gotten many emails like the above. In my last job, I decided to keep responding to the emails to see how far it would go. They always ask for the "final selling price of the vehicle" and also always enquire about "you and your family" (How nice :rolleyes:). So in the heel of the hunt, they sent a cheque for $25,000 which was way over the price of the vehicle we were selling (even with exchange rates etc.). I passed the cheque to my boss and stopped replying to the emails. The emails got quite forceful and they said that they thought they'd sent more than the required amount so could I refund the difference to their bank (conveniently located abroad). The thing was, the cheque was very very obviously printed on a bog standard deskjet printer.
    Anything that asks you for money is more than likely a scam.

and its a great way to launder money for them........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Auto Consulting

I had a similar experience when I was working as a car salesman. A guy with very poor writing skills emailed me to offer way more than the asking price of a Renault Clio. He sent a bank draft which was quite obviously a fake and asked me to wire the change to him via Western Union. An elaborate scam, I can't imagine many have fallen for it.

The calls from the UK/Cyprus companies on the other hand could be easy to fall for. People get so excited when they think they have their car sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Auto Consulting

I had a similar experience when I was working as a car salesman. A guy with very poor writing skills emailed me to offer way more than the asking price of a Renault Clio. He sent a bank draft which was quite obviously a fake and asked me to wire the change to him via Western Union. An elaborate scam, I can't imagine many have fallen for it.

The calls from the UK/Cyprus companies on the other hand could be easy to fall for. People get so excited when they think they have their car sold.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

IThe thing was, the cheque was very very obviously printed on a bog standard deskjet printer.
    You should have sent them the change in monopoly money. Fair play for wasting their time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 osullm3

hi all,,

i'm in the middle of this scam now,,,a guy called adrian lewis in the UK is sending me a bank draft for my Punto on Carzone.ie,,,,he didnt look at the car or even send a mechanic,its just too good to be true,,,,as soon as i have the bank draft i'll go to the guards 1st,,,,,,i have e-mails if anyone wants to see them,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

With all this scamming going on could someone who's a better morning person than me come up with a believeable way of stringing them along, wasting their time/money?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

osullm3 wrote: »
    hi all,,

i'm in the middle of this scam now,,,a guy called adrian lewis in the UK is sending me a bank draft for my Punto on Carzone.ie,,,,he didnt look at the car or even send a mechanic,its just too good to be true,,,,as soon as i have the bank draft i'll go to the guards 1st,,,,,,i have e-mails if anyone wants to see them,

Scan the draft and give us a look :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Just string them along for as long as possible.
    There is a thread here about it somewhere.
    But the jist of it was the guy on the line said to hold on while he got his card details, leaving the scammer waiting for ages...

Your not paying for the phone call so keep them on the line for as long as possible. Waste their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

http://www.419eater.com/
    Check out "The Trophy Room" :)

and some baiting tips here
    http://www.419eater.com/html/baiting.htm

the main thing is to have fun! :D

Check out the Mrs Robinson video in the video section for a laugh!
    http://www.419eater.com/html/video.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭CarList.ie

I'm also seeing messages like the following being sent to sellers on www.carlist.ie today:
    Good Day How is family and friends i hope everybody is okay. Meanwhile, I saw your advert on the web for sale. and i will like you to get back to me with the following enquries. ---- The last asking price. ---- The present condition. ---- If any picture is available mail it . . I will be looking forward to hear from you soonest Thanks +4470111xxxxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

put a notice up on your site carlist and warm people off these scammers.

i was selling my car a month ago and got no end of calls from various companies in the UK and other countries. I'm from the UK myself, but the second I heard an english voice my first question was always "are YOU personally ringing me from somewhere in Ireland so that YOU can buy my car for yourself?" when the answer was "no" then my reply was simply "then fcuk off!" followed by hanging up on them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement