Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

casual male

• 07-07-2006 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

If you were goin into town in the evening and wanted to wear something casual/slightly dressy instead of the usual tshirt &jeans. what is the best option.???
    for the most part i see fitted shirts and smart jeans or trousers. but a lot of slim young males try this look and it comes off(to me) like they're goin to a junior disco.(ie. just throwing on a shirt because its more 'dressy')

how do you choose the right shirt to avoid the 'little boy look':confused::confused:
    any suggestions on colours, patterns, brands etc. to get the smart, casual look without just lookin like a lad who threw a black/white shirt on.:cool: :cool: :cool:

your suggestions would be much appreciated:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

when wearing shirts i tend to stay well away from checks as i find they are mostly an eyesore to look at and tend to be worn more by skangers.

there's nothing wrong with a nice plain shirt (i tend to stay away from white, for the dirt factor), or one with small vertical stripes.

i'd top it off with either a woolen pullover or occasionally a blazer (when it's cold out).

after that i'd either wear a pair of normal jeans (not bleached or pre ripped these tend to be worn by the "types" you described) or a pair of black slacks.

and a pair of white kswiss to top it off :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

No I wouldn't say that older males look like kids when they wear shirts?! If anything it would be the other way around. Little kids trying to look grown up! A shirt with a little bit of design is nice. Stripes or whatever. Plain can look at bit too formal. And a nice pair of jeans. Done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Pretty much what creamo said.. sometimes a pair of beige cargos instead of jeans works well and a white shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I have so many shirts which are blue with white stripes.. I think they look the business! I got one in Jack Jones, for a tenner! I'd say check them out quick during the sale!

I think shirts with slight patterns (i.e. no dragons etc laced all over them, or anything contrasting too much) like stripes, or different patterns..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

If I am out with the lads I would always wear plain shirts; usually cream, navy, pale blue or black; Lacoste, Boss, Armani are the best. My missus like stripey shirts on me, so if I'm out for a meal or something I would wear a striped shirt. There is a cracking selection of striped Burberry shirts in BT at the moment, all heavily reduced in the sale too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Shrimp wrote:
    Pretty much what creamo said.. sometimes a pair of beige cargos instead of jeans works well and a white shirt.

beige and black shirt with a little colour works alot better than white, white and beige questionable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

If I were going to wear a collared shirt, it would have to be short-sleeved. IMO the only place a long-sleeved shirt has in the world is with a suit and/or tie in a professional environment. Otherwise, as pointed out above, it just looks like you're throwing on a shirt in an attempt to dress up. If you're skinny, you might have to wear a tshirt or vest underneath in order not to look like a teenager out for your debs.

Also, try not to buy shirts that look like they were made out of your mammy's tablecloth, as seems to be very popular among the kind of plebs you'd find in Flannery's or Coppers. And don't be the guy with the 'flames' shirt. You know the one I mean. Nobody likes that guy.

And JAYSUS make sure there's not a Ben Sherman label anywhere in sight, unless you have the obligatory matching 20 Johnny Blue and 'tache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

upmeath wrote:
    beige and black shirt with a little colour works alot better than white, white and beige questionable
    I'd have to disagree.. it kinda depends if you've got a tan or not.. If you wear white and you're pale then no thanks.. if you got a decent tan then the white looks grand, as for how it looks with beige, providing it's not a really pale beige then it looks grand..

Advertisement