Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

First LCD Television

• 07-07-2006 11:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

Hello

I have never had an LCD televsion, but I am going to be purchasing one soon.

I want a 26" LCD TV which has HD and good specs... I think people mention response time? Something to do with the capability of the tv with fast movement on screen?
    And with HD I want a HDMI as this seems to be the best as there is an input for HD so you definately know you have it. And the 360 and PS3 have HDMI outputs.... Please correct me if I am wrong..

Any other things which should be considered when buying an LCD TV?

I want to get the 26" for under 1000. I have never used or heard of pixmania and I do not know whether they are reliable. Where are they based, do you incur customs? Could someone tell me about them, any past experiences if any...... I have heard of komplett plenty of times.

Please recommend me the best LCD TV HDMI 26" for under €1000 ..

I want a reputable seller.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Hey Shorty,

Just a few points:
    The lower the response time the better the LCD panel
    Try anything 8ms or less.

X360 does not have HDMI output. It uses component (RGB) to output HD ( i think)
    PS3 will have HDMI - again not 100%.

Are you using TV for mainly TV, DVD, Games and hooking up to your pc.
    YOu should take into account the connections available if you are connection a few pieces of H/W.

Haven't used pixmania so I cannot comment, a few other ppl here have so try the search function.

I have used komplett to get my DVD recorder and everything went fine.

To recommend a tv I would say Samsung for the following reasons
    1) Good quality at a good price.
    2) I have one.

check the komplett website for complete (pun!) selection and specification.

Check also the avforum.com for in depth reviews.

Good Luck,

Q

[edit] just found this for 919 euro.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=319622
    [/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

It will be for Sky tv (not hd) , DVDs , and probably a 360 or PS3.

Please help, Pixmania looks promising, with the sale and all...

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/99556/art/samsung/le26r51-hd-ready-16-9-26.html?itag=3897

what about that, and would it work with 360/ps3, please let me know what best deal is!!! and best place to get

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=319634

This is under a grand....

Samsung, I have a 32 inch 61M Samsung, bought it off Komplett.ie, you want have customs on your back as the VAT is paid at the irish rate....

yea and any others....
    anyone have info regarding pix mania?

• Advertisement

Its nice, but I would prefer a 26 inch really, is DVI and HDMI just inputs for HD is HDMI better?

Anyway please provide more feedback regarding pix mania and more televisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

DVI has the same pin for pin signals that the HDMI interface does but does not carry audio and more importantly for the future cannot accommadate HDCP.

You can buy DVI to HDMI cables , but as mentioned , there is no audio , just video on DVI , what that means is that if you have say , a DVD with a HDMI output , then you can plug this in to your DVI on the TV but there would be no sound , you would have to have a separate amp for the sound.
    So HDMI is better in this respect , of course if you have no external amp , then HDMI is the only way to go and DVI is not acceptable for you.

Also , in the future , apparently most content providers like sky etc. will have some protection on their broadcasts so that you cannot make high quality digital copies , this is called High definition content protection , or HDCP , this is only used with HDMI and if your system or TV doesnt have it , then the content wont play on your system.
    So its a must have for the future ,

In short , make sure that your TV has at least one HDMI , two if possible.
    Anything else just isnt worth the hassle.

Thanks for that information Mathias...

Anyone have any past experiences with Pixmania, Komplett. Customer support etc...

Please recommend more televisions and

is this any good?
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/99556/...html?itag=3897

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

quazzy wrote:
    [edit] just found this for 919 euro.
    [/edit]
    I recommend that one too.

is that much better than the one I gave a link to in my previous post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Your link in your previous post is not working...

Is that link working, can anyone please tell me more regarding pixmania, and which company and which tv would be the best deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭YoYOPowder

shortys94 wrote:
    Is that link working, can anyone please tell me more regarding pixmania, and which company and which tv would be the best deal.

I know people that have bought plenty off Pixmania and Komplett, no major issues, although you will always find someone with an issue, that's only normal. With regard the previous link, that Samsung is of an older generation, whats called the R5 generation. I would advise to go for the latest, the R7 series, better response time, SPVA panel and Microsoft have recommended this with their XBox, it being what they tested it with. Katronics.de are the cheapest for it. I dont know anyone that has bought off them, but there was an earlier thread and it was only positive feedback, however they do not accept credit card, only bank transfer, draft etc. BY the way, Im not a gamer, but just recently bought the 40" R7 off Komplett, the only issue I had was the tracking no. didn't work. BUt got the LCD on time and so far so good. :D

Any links to R7 lcd tvs on komplett and pixmania, please, under 1000 with HDMI

Would be appreciated

shortys94 wrote:
    Any links to R7 lcd tvs on komplett and pixmania, please, under 1000 with HDMI

Would be appreciated

Thanks quazzy
    would that samsung be as good as the Sharp Aquos 26" HDMI LCD Television? Sorry if i havent given enough information......

Does the specs actually tell you its a R7 or is it just because of the specifications it has?

shortys94 wrote:
    Thanks quazzy
    would that samsung be as good as the Sharp Aquos 26" HDMI LCD Television? Sorry if i havent given enough information......

Does the specs actually tell you its a R7 or is it just because of the specifications it has?

This is the full model name. Please note the R7 bit
    Samsung 26" LCD-TV LE26R71B

This is the full spec http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=319622&view=detailed
    I cant find the Sharp model on Komplett so please check around for the specs the compare with the above.

It does look to be a good LCD. I have a Samsung 32" and I would recommend them for the price.
    But thats just me ( well actually a few others have the same LCD as me, Sparky-s and I know theres more)

Good Luck with it.

Q

Thanks

I was in Homebase today and saw a Goodmans 26" LCD TV for €729 I think. It was HD Ready and was black. It had a DVI input I am pretty sure with a cable which changes DVI to a HDMI input, doe sthis mean the cable would carry sound?
    It had two scart sockets and a VGA input i think too. Is this a good tv for the price and would it work for a 360/PS3???

I couldnt see the resolution on the box. But it seems good for 739, doesnt it? It was a black finish.

I cant find the same model on the net with the DVI, and Im pretty sure it said DVI input on the box, and a cable to change it to a hdmi input. Can anyone shed some information on this, sorry for lack of specs.

Well has anyone seen this tv in HOMEBASE or know of it? I would really like some info on it as it seems good for 739.

If I was to buy is there any specs I should definately ask of before buying. It would be again for 360/PS3, dvd player, tv.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭deadbloke

I've recently bought my first LCD TV, to replace a 15 year old 21in CRT (she's served me well). After much trawlling through the net, magazines, bugging mates for opinions, etc., I went for a 32in Samsung R7. Not only is it good featured for the money, but personally it's the most stylish LCD on the market, at any price.

You definitely wouldn't be sorry if you bought one.

Yea thanks, and what about homebase offer?

shortys94 wrote:
    Yea thanks, and what about homebase offer?
    Shorty,

Wihtout knowing the model of the LCD tv in homebase it is hard to make an informed decision.

Perhaps you could call them and ask for the model name?

Then take a look here and go throught all the reviews of Goodmans LCD TV
    http://avreviews.avforums.com/index.php?category=LCDs
    There is one 26" Goodmans LCD review and it got 6/10

I have not heard anything bad about them or anything good.... in fact I have not heard of ppl here discussing them at all.

Also, if it only has a DVI input for HD then I would probably not consider it.
    DVI does not play sound. You didn't mention if it has component input either so I am thinking that is it an older LCD model.

As many ppl on this thread have posted already including me I think the best option would be Samsung R7.

Regards

Q

component as in red,white and yellow? sorry not great at the tech aspect, if thats what you mean then yes it has those three inputs.

But wouldnt the wire included which changes the dvi input to a hdmi input mean it carries sound?

shortys94 wrote:
    component as in red,white and yellow? sorry not great at the tech aspect, if thats what you mean then yes it has those three inputs.

But wouldnt the wire included which changes the dvi input to a hdmi input mean it carries sound?
    No, Component is Red Green and Blue

Composite is red,white and yellow and not as good as component.

To clarify the DVI situation:

If the TV has only a DVI input then regardless of what convertors you get you the TV can only receive picture into the DVI port.

Hope it makes sense.

Again I would urge you to ring homebase and the google the model name for reviews if you are considering buying

Q

Yea I might do that, but the samsung 26 inch R7 seems a more solid choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

The R7s are very good. If I didn't have my R41 sammy, I'd get the R7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 harry99

Saw a Sharp 26" for 799 - 2% on http://www.bestsoundworks.com
    when i was buying an iAudio, they are the same as Discount Electric at mountjoy Sq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Ok lads , I think this is right , and hope it helps , as some of the stuff posted above I think is not quite right ,

Red white and yellow RCA connectors are for left and right stereo sound and the yellow is for composite video.... this is as basic an SD setup as it gets.

Red Green and Blue , is RGB or the equivalent of the RGB pins on the Scart connector , this is the best SD setup , but does not do any flavour of HD.
    ( Lots of people mix this up with component as meant in HD component, but it is not )

Component is Y , Pb , and Pr , and this is also three RCA connectors but is not the same as the RGB above. These connectors can display HD content.

I have Sky HD installed and have a Panasonic LCD TV , the manual for the Panasonic specifically states that you should not try to connect RGB into the component video inputs as this could cause damage to the set.

For example , I have an original Xbox with the Scart breakout cable that has Six RCA connectors out , 3 of these are RGB but do not connect to Y , Pb and Pr as they are different signal types altogether .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

Anyway hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Shortys94---Some info about the LCD. The reason why ppl here mention Samsung is becuase they are the best. Hands down. LG come second, then Pasasonic, maybe then Sharp... Don't go near Philips, Goodman, Bush. They are mainly crap and poor contrast ratio and slow resonise time (rt). Samsung (Sammy) have typical 8ms rt and LG also 8-10ms rt. Dont buy any TV from Hombase,Woodies,Argos,Tesco. They are often B class products hence the cheaper price. Komplett are very good and very well priced. Pixmania are good one or two horror stores but they seem OK. If you need to retrun stuff YOU need to ship it back to Komplett or Pixmania. While if you buy it in Harveys,DID you can walk back into the shop.

Advertisement