Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Erasure - a career in sound

Options
  • 07-07-2006 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Vince Clarke once said that he truly believed that the first single with Andy Bell as Erasure will be a massive hit - but they didn´t even make it into the Top 40 back then and were devistated.

I am sure a lot of people who knew Vince from his Depeche Mode and Yazoo days, didn´t even want him to be successful any longer but ultimately Vince proofed his critics wrong.

What was to come was sales of albums in excess of 20 million and plenty of number one albums:

Wonderland (1986) - the album featured their first single "Who needs love like that" and only made it into the Top 100 in the UK (#71) but was a top twenty album in Germany for instance.

1987´s Circus peaked at nr. 2 in the Uk and Erasure was first recognised as a force to be reckoned with and Vince was finally back. Only one year later in 1988 The Innocents which featured "Ship of fools" for instance even peaked at nr. 1

The rest is history as they say. Erasure had a string of hits since then and in 2005 and 2006 they have released their best works to date, at least in my oppinion.

Reviews of "Nightbird" and "Union Street" will be separate:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

The album may have only entered the US charts at # 154, it still made an impressive # 27 (UK) and # 22 (DE) and "All this time still falling out of love" as a single made it into the Top 10 in Canada.

At this stage it is clearly no longer about sales for the boys and their respective tour in 2005 was sold out in no time with extra dates added in places - so, they are a long way from gone.

Nightbird is the best album in years. In general it is slow paced and lyrically spiritual and full of despair and although Vince uses his well known retro sounds the album certainly has a 21st century feel to it from a production point of view.

There are 11 songs on the CD and the Cd kicks off with a melancholic but powerful song called "No Doubt", followed by a typical Erasure tune "Here I go impossible again".

Yes, there are a few fillers on this as well, but I´d say 9 out of 11 songs are brilliantly crafted.

My main favourites have to be "Don´t say you love me", "All this time still falling out of love" and my two equally brilliant favourite songs are: "I broke it all into" and "I bet you´re mad at me".

Not only is it Erasure at its very best - it is also proof that electronic music can create emotional love songs and this CD will stand the test of time.

5 stars out of 5

Advertisement