Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Wired Network Setup - Need Advice

Options
  • 07-07-2006 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi,

First off, this is the first time I have attemped to setup home wired network so I have probably made some glaring oversight.

I have a desktop in the study, laptop in bedroom and XBox 360 in living room

My current setup is: desktop wired to router, and XBox and laptop connected via wireless G to router.

The laptops wireless connection is fine, however streaming movies (especially 720p movies) to XBox is choppy to say the least.

So the only solution is a wired connection, this means running a cable from study into the attic, then using the route taken by previous home owners Sky instaliation. Which is from attic out to the front the house, down the side of the house and then back into the living room (holes are already drilled :))

My purchases for this where going to be (from Maplins)

30m Cat 6 UTP Solid Network Cable
    2 x Category 6 Outlets
    Heavy Duty Crimping Tool for Modular RJ45 Connectors
    2 x
    CAT 6 UTP Patch Cables
    Total cost approx 80 euro

I am about to make the purchase (mouse hovering over buy botton), however the back of my mind is saying:

Is Category 6 cable really needed, would I be fine with category 5e?

Are the cables durable enough for the run outside the house, would conduit be needed?

Is there going to be problems connecting the cable to the outlets (never done this before)?

Am I missing something else?

Advice would be greatly appreciated and probably needed :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Waste of time using cat 6.... cat 5 e is more than adequate.. Plus cat 6 very tempremental dosent like being pulled or left hanging down the side of a building... It fails to be effective if its twist isn;'t maintained. sure it'll work but no need for it....Waste of money mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭ronanp

Definately cat5e is more than adequate. You should need a punch-down tool to connect the cable to the outlets. I'd leave off the outlets altogether to be honest and just use the rj45s.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 snipe3000

Thanks JohnnieM and ronanp

Updated purchase:

35m Cat 5e Network Cable UTP Solid
    Heavy Duty Crimping Tool for Modular RJ45 Connectors
    Solid Core Cable RJ45 Connectors
    Total cost 30 euro

One thing that I cant find info on is when do you use UTP (unshielded), FTP (foil shielded) and cross over :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Maints

Either get outdoor cable or else run it in conduit. Normal cat5e will be fine for a while (probably a good while) but will eventually deteriate.

Paul.

Nice work guys knocked 60% off my total cost :)

Still searching for eye pleasing conduit (if such a thing exists)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭ronanp

snipe3000 wrote:
    One thing that I cant find info on is when do you use UTP (unshielded), FTP (foil shielded) and cross over :confused:

Generally for an indoor home network i'd use UTP exclusively, just for convenience really. FTP cable is for network installations where there'd be a worry of interference on the wire, such as running alongside heavy duty power cables etc..

Crossover cable refers to a different thing entirely - Its where two of the pairs are reversed at the opposite end of the cable. It'd only be fore use where you're connecting two devices together directly (e.g PC to PC) or where you're linking a hub or switch without an MDIX (uplink) port to another hub or switch.

Thanks, UTP it stays then.

Gonna go ahead with purchase, this setup is easier and cheaper than my original. I can pick up conduit in some hardware store later.

Thanks for advice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

snipe3000 wrote:
    Thanks, UTP it stays then.

Gonna go ahead with purchase, this setup is easier and cheaper than my original. I can pick up conduit in some hardware store later.

Thanks for advice :D

Wouldnt worry bout the outdoor conduit.. The outdoor grade cat5 e in black runs verys straight (nice kind of a stiffness in it .. very easy to hide or put it behind a gutter or even in side the gutter... ..great idea with just putting the Rj 45 plug on the end ..

Advertisement