Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy joins RTE

• 07-07-2006 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

RTÉ Radio

Eamon Dunphy to join RTÉ Radio 1

RTÉ Radio 1 announced today (7 July 2006) that Eamon Dunphy will join the radio station this autumn. Eamon will present a new programme once-a-week as part of the new RTÉ Radio 1 autumn schedule.

Welcoming Eamon Dunphy to RTÉ Radio 1, Ana Leddy, Head of RTÉ Radio 1 said,

“I’m delighted that Eamon is coming on board. His unique style will bring a new element to our schedule and to RTÉ Radio 1’s overall exciting line-up for the autumn.”

Eamon Dunphy is a well-known radio and television presenter, journalist, author, sports pundit and ex-football player.

Issued by RTÉ Radio

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

linkage

Interesting; I wonder what the show will be about; a weekly version of his Newstalk gambit, more sport etc.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,730 ✭✭✭✭walshb

RTE are scraping the barrel now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

walshb wrote:
    RTE are scraping the barrel now!!!

I completely agree. Radio in this country is hopeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 easydog

I think Dunphy is always worth listening to. It was so obvious he'd do to RTE, where else could he have gone, Dublin's Country 106.8FM?????

I doubt he'll be doing a current affairds show like the Last Word or The Right Hook as once a week is not enough for that type of programme.

Pity he's not on 5 days a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Anyone taking bets on how long he'll last at RTE Radio1 before throwing another hissy fit and how "tired and emotional" he feels (from getting hammered out of his tree at some well known Dublin night spot) then promptly walking out without notice before being picked up by another radio station and continuing the vicious cycle.

I wonder how much RTE are paying for his "services" cause this time it aint Denis O Briens deep pockets forking out but the much maligned licence payer AGAIN! DOH!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭TheFredJ

i'm wondering if there's going to be a move from rte in the opposite direction - namely vinny brawn. newstalk plug village lots, and he does seem quite at home there. as for his own rte radio show, it is having problems, with he wanting it to go one way and the rte bods wanting it to stick to its remit.

has been interesting to listen to the dunph on newstalk - he's been talking up his departure as being because he's a champion of the people, defending the little folk against the 30c per text charge the station brought in. why newstalk stuck with him as long as the did is beyond me. he singularly failed to boost listernship (hook has done that) while costing them a fortune for a show he only seems to host 3 weeks in 4.

TheFredJ wrote:
    i'm wondering if there's going to be a move from rte in the opposite direction - namely vinny brawn. newstalk plug village lots, and he does seem quite at home there. as for his own rte radio show, it is having problems, with he wanting it to go one way and the rte bods wanting it to stick to its remit.

Funny you should say that, I remember when Dunphy wasn't long in his job at Newstalk and something was said about Browne, to which he replied "I fell out of love with Vincent Browne a long time ago" or something along those lines.

While Dunphy wouldn't be able to call the shots and get him moved I'm sure (if they don't like each other), neither will be delighted at working together, or at least in the same buildings, possibly the same day etc. etc.
    Anyway, while it's unlikely to make much of a difference it could be a minor factor in Browne's mind if Newstalk come along with a large cheque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

flogen wrote:
    While Dunphy wouldn't be able to call the shots and get him moved I'm sure (if they don't like each other), neither will be delighted at working together, or at least in the same buildings, possibly the same day etc. etc.
    Anyway, while it's unlikely to make much of a difference it could be a minor factor in Browne's mind if Newstalk come along with a large cheque.

Like all the other egos in Montrose. A big cheque seems to keep them all sweet, funnily enough.

As for Eamonn, its hard to see what he'll actually do. I would hazzard a guess at a weekend show, as its once a week. Possibly as a replacement for This Week on Sunday lunchtimes???

clearly the dunph and brawn have settled whatever differences they ha, as it's the morning show seems to love him the most.

brawn of course has the other 'interest' in driveltalk in that his two sports journalists are the main presenters of the bill + ben sports show on the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

TheFredJ wrote:
    clearly the dunph and brawn have settled whatever differences they ha, as it's the morning show seems to love him the most.

brawn of course has the other 'interest' in driveltalk in that his two sports journalists are the main presenters of the bill + ben sports show on the station.

please explain that.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

TheFredJ wrote:

I've seen this style of writing before, you don't write for the Herald by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Doesn't Dunphy already have one failed TV show under he's belt, why in the name of God would they give him another opertunity to bore the nation. Him and a bunch more like him should just retire, RTEs world cup coverage was like watching three old farts talk about the wether.

I only heard him on the radio once and never again all radio is the same now, some old fool trying to wip board housewifes up into a frenzy about stuff they haven't got a clue about in the first place.

ScumLord wrote:
    Doesn't Dunphy already have one failed TV show under he's belt, why in the name of God would they give him another opertunity to bore the nation. Him and a bunch more like him should just retire, RTEs world cup coverage was like watching three old farts talk about the wether.

I only heard him on the radio once and never again all radio is the same now, some old fool trying to wip board housewifes up into a frenzy about stuff they haven't got a clue about in the first place.

His failure on TV had as much (if not more) to do with its placement rather than its presenter.
    His two radio shows have been quite successful to date too and I for one enjoyed the RTÉ punditry, especially when compared to the idiotic ramblings of Iain Wright, Alan Shearer and Gary Linekar over on the Beeb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭Genghis

Well Dunphy has two failed TV programmes - The Weakest Link and The Dunphy Show. While the Weakest Link was a matter of poor judgement, I think the Dunphy show had promise.

In both cases, however, TV3 refused to stay in for the long game. Like anything they home-produce, TV3 expect instant success - and if they do not get it, they bin the show after 10-13 weeks. They never allow a show to grow, find and build an audience.

It is always more profitable to show a cheap import than try a home show, and it is always easier to meet 20 minutes of home produce requirement by repeating a 2.5 minute news story eight times in 24 hours.

In fairness, I don't think you can blame Dunphy for either failure.

IronMan wrote:
    I've seen this style of writing before, you don't write for the Herald by any chance?

you might say that, but i couldn't possibly comment :)

the village writers i'm talking about are gilroy and the footie fella, who are the main sports' writers in village.

and dunphy is in part complicit in the failure of his tv3 talk show - he hyped it up into a battle between him and kenny, he tried to argue that he had access to a higher calibre of guest etc. but it's not really relevent, as rte have signed him for a radio show, not tv, and radio is a totally different format.

Advertisement