Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ship

Options
  • 07-07-2006 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know anything about the game 'The Ship' that is available for preload from steam? I was half thinking of getting it, but I cant find any previews.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The only info I can find is from it's site: The Ship. It sounds interesting, but I don't know if I can bare the torment of using steam again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

wasnt this a murder/mystery mod on the original half-life? if it is, then i vaguely remember it getting some pretty good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well, from what I can tell, all players have a target they must kill. But they are also somebody elses target so have to watch their backs. Then you have to murder your target without being seen. It could be fun, but doesn't really sound worth paying for.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

interesting video for it here...
    http://www.eurogamer.net/tv_video.php?playlist_id=645&s=l

looks fun

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

played the original mod, great premise, but it doesnt really work. The ship motif and character/weapon design feels wasted as it turns into a slightly modified game of deathmatch. Rather then the stalking slow paced intention of the authors.

maybe the new version has made the appropiate alterations.

but a better question...Why are we paying for this? What happened to the free mod community that surronded half life?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    but a better question...Why are we paying for this? What happened to the free mod community that surronded half life?

Valve ate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think the level of complexity in modding the source engine as compared to the old HL1 engine jumped a LOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Kiith wrote:
    interesting video for it here...
    http://www.eurogamer.net/tv_video.php?playlist_id=645&s=l

looks fun

doesn't really sell it to me tbh. even a bit in the video has some bad AI walking into a wall...
    BlitzKrieg wrote:

there is still a large free mod community around source, but like stephen said, the complexity of working on the source engine is such that it takes forever to get a mod going (goldeneye: source or black mesa: source have been in development well over a year now).

as for paying, well a lot of the older mod teams went pro, bought licenses for the engines and are selling their hard work. even garrys mod will cost a small fee when its next version rolls around

Advertisement