Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant Morrison

Options
  • 07-07-2006 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

Any body else a fan of his work ? njust finished reading the filth ( pure brilliants ) and iv read all the invisible but i am currently readin his run on the new x-men and i think this is finaly it ..im never gna be able to read another x-men comic not writhen by him again....any body else read new x-men ?or have an opinion on grant OR know some other stuff by him i can read iv read animal man and arkem asylum but after i finish new x-men i think that it ?:eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

We3 is a damn fine comic, with some absolutely gorgeous artwork by Frank Quitely (I think Morrison & Quitely are also doing All Star Superman, if you're interested). There's also Vimanarama and Seaguy among his Vertigo short stuff.

If it's longer stories you want, I think he's written some Authority stuff and I'm fairly sure he had a run on either JSA or JLA at some point. Check out this wikipedia page for tons more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

He did the first 40 issues or so of JLA long before he ever did X-men which IMHO was justa re-run or earlier stories by other X-men creators with a Morrison twist :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

A re run ? !!! Where is the proof of this outlandish acussation ?? new x-men is by far the most original NEW xmen series out there .. any body read josh wheadons asthonishing xmen ?? its not as good but holy **** morrison and wheaon were ripped of for the crap x 3 movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

we3 is amazing i have it at home. animal man is my favourite of his though. so damn good

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

grant morrision is my god!!
    animal man is brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

To the "re-run" remark, it's very difficult to tell stories these days without someone claiming it's a remake of some other story from days past, in fairness some of these characters are pushing 70 years old.

In my view Morrisson tells some fantastic stories, great characterisations, and no insulting soliloquay driven plots.

Morrison's first storyline with the evolution of the Sentinels had been told 2 years before by Scott Lobdell in Zero Tolerance (only Lobdells Sentinel's were more interesting and that story didn't work because editorial made him change it). The Phoenix saga was well the Phoenix saga. There were other similarities but I've forgotten a lot of what Morrison did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

King Mob wrote:
    grant morrision is my god!!

He's not joking either.

Yeah, I recommend Vimanarama a lot, but Invisibles and Animal are my favourites of the stuf I've read.

If any likes The Invisibles, you should read The Illuminatus! Trilogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Longshadow

Firstly, I'll second what a few people have already mentioned, WE3. It is, simply put, utterly brilliant, and Quitely's artwork comletely blew me away on it. I'm wishing I had it in front of me now to pore over and rave about, it really has to be seen. I remember thinking, in certain sequences, that I'd honestly never quite seen anything like it before. From a writing point of view, it's also a model example of what can be done with a three issue series. One of the better comics of that year all round, and one of the best mini-series that I'm aware of.
    I was much less impressed with Vinnarama, but left with the feeling that there was perhaps a mythology at play there that I was unfamiliar with, and the story would have been much improved had I been familiar with the background involved. Maybe. Though I could be wrong.
    I'm also really enjoying his All Star Superman at the moment, I really feel he's hit on exactly what DC said the 'All Star' line of titles would be, which is classic style stand alone tales of their most iconic characters. Which so far, Miller and Lee are more or less failing to deliver on All Star Batman.
    Oh, and as regards what else Morrison has done, he's writing the upcoming Wildcats:Worldstorm series, which is spearheading the Wildstorm Universe relaunch. I've never read any Wildcats, but with Morrison writing and Jim Lee art, I have to say I'm very tempted.
    A few upcoming Wildstorm titles are actually very tempting. Brian Azzarello' Deathblow for one, and the new Stormwatch.
    What do others think of the Wildstorm relaunch? Or should I take that to another thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

I used to love reading Zenith back in the day - loved it!

• Advertisement

Zenith is possibly his best work, with Steve Yeowell's art it's simply masterful.

Everyones probly read this but this is what he said after the matrix came out ,Theres also a cool interview with him on youtube ..

''It's really simple. The truth of that one is that design staff on The Matrix were given Invisibles collections and told to make the movie look like my books. This is a reported fact. The Wachowskis are comic book creators and fans and were fans of my work, so it's hardly surprising. I was even contacted before the first Matrix movie was released and asked if I would contribute a story to the website. (...) I'm not angry about it anymore, although at one time I was, because they made millions from what was basically a Xerox of my work and to be honest, I would be happy with just one million so I didn't have to work thirteen hours of every ****ing day, including weekends. (2005) [15] ''

I tried to get my hands on zenith yesterday but couldnt find it in town , i cant see how its gna beat king mob and co ...i love the small short backkstories in the invisibles like the guy who king mob shot in the first chapter he gets a full backstory or the guy who puts the blades under his skin .the guy is magic pure magiic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Zenith was amazing

Longshadow wrote:
    I was much less impressed with Vinnarama, but left with the feeling that there was perhaps a mythology at play there that I was unfamiliar with, and the story would have been much improved had I been familiar with the background involved. Maybe. Though I could be wrong.

Yeah, it's based on the idea there was an advanced civilization in ancient India. Google or Wiki Vimana and you'll get a good deal of information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Longshadow

Cheers for that, I must take some time to read that, and then give Vinnarama another shot.

No problem. It's interesting stuff. I'm not that well up on it, but it's worth a read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 irlZaphod

the Shades wrote:
    He did the first 40 issues or so of JLA long before he ever did X-men which IMHO was justa re-run or earlier stories by other X-men creators with a Morrison twist :p
    That was the point of his X-Men run.

Just finished ''here comes tomorow '' the last in his xmen run ...wow im gna miss this series so much its like losing a friend , i felt the same after the invisibles ...here a 45 min talk morrison did on drugs, aliens and disinformation

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3039306070586717772&q=grant+morrison

Have a look

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

RAIN wrote:
    I tried to get my hands on zenith yesterday but couldnt find it in town
    Good luck in finding it. It's been tied up in some legal wrangle for years. supposedly getting resolved any time now. I'll believe that when I have the trades in my hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 thehungrysloth

Hi there,

I have Zenith books 2-5 for sale if anyone's interested. Book 2 is signed by Grant Morrison with some of the text from the 'Black Sun' episode.

Also have the issues of 2000AD containing Book 1 & Phase 4 but I'm more interested in selling all of those issues together. I think it's from 500 up to about 700 unbroken & a fair few either side.

While we're on the subject of GM, I have the following if anyone is interested.

Arkham Asylum - h/c 1st - signed in gold ink with a Bat-symbol sketch
    Hellblazer #26 - signed
    Judge Dredd Annual 1990 - signed by GM, Simon Bisley, Rian Hughes & more

HS

• Advertisement
Advertisement