Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog hobbling

Options
  • 07-07-2006 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

I have noticed that from time to time my dog hobbles on one leg, it lasts for about a day or two and then she is back to normal. Has anyone else seen this with their dogs?

my dog is about 10, so I assumed the first time I saw it that it was arthritis, but is arthritis an on and off thing?

also before the mods get to me about how it is not a medical board blah blah, I am not looking for a diagnosis, merely to see if anyone else has seen this in their pets

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I've seen it once or twice. Could be arthritis; it is a weather/environment induced thing at the start. Otherwise, it could be a small cut?
    The best course of action is to take your dog to a vet as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

My dog used to when the weather changed - arthritis was the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Hi Marts,

is your dog a JRT? If so alot of them do that. Could be patella too, very common in bull breeds for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I have two terriers JRTXBorder + JRTXPatterdale and they can often be found hobbling for a day or two...

...In my case this is self-inflicted as you will usually catch them chewing at a particular front paw - they seem to relish this chewing like one gets addicted to picking at an itchy scab....

....I've never found a small cut, thorn or any other irritant on careful examination - problem then always goes after a day or two.....

Anyone know what they are at ???

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

oh that's a relief, yes she is a JRTXSpringer

thanks lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

obviously still advisable to take them to your vet for a proper check up!!!! just in case there is something more sinister at work!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Enilorac

Yup, sounds like luxating patella. Depending on its severity it might stay the same or it might get worse.

But please get a vet to confirm it - never just diagnose your dog online ;) Your vet should be able to grade it as well (if it IS luxating patella), which will give you an indication of whther it will get worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

it got a bit worse, her back leg started acting up so we brought her to the vet. It turns out she had arthritus on her back, and that was why both legs were acting up. So he gave us some tablets and said to keep her on them for a week and then take her off, if she gets better on them and worse off them to go back to him. She is still on them and is nearly 100% again, so hopefully nothing will go wrong.

thanks for the advise all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

My JRT has the same problem, our vet gave her a perscription of asprin (tiny tablets that we get at chemists, easy for her to swallow).She's right as rain after she gets one.
    I wouldn't recomend anyone giving their dog asprin until they consult their vet and PLEASE do not give them to cats because they are highly dangerous for them.

Advertisement