Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Disclaimer

Options
  • 07-07-2006 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭

Have a little forum on band's website and wondering what do people usually put up as a disclaimer incase someone comes in and gets us in trouble by slagging someone? Or should I bother?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yes you should as liability can easily fall on you.
    I run a forum@ www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk. We now have a main agreement page that users must accept when registering. This is in addition to the Forum Rules & Guidelines that they also agree to at registration.
    I was also told to put a disclaimer at the bottom of each page
    The views expressed here are those of individuals and are not necessarily the views of the BMW Car Club, BMW (GB) Ltd. or BMW (AG).
    The forum also requires email activation (don't disable this) and is also moderated.

Internet libel was deemed in various (UK) courts to be the same as libel in a paper so do be careful. I can dig out various references if you want to read them (good for insomnia!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Irish legislation is quite different to that of the UK, so you should be careful

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It is quite different but principles generally still apply

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

http://www.digitalrights.ie/2006/01/06/libel-laws-in-ireland/ gives an overview of some of the pecularities of Irish legislation, though it may need to be updated due to the introduction of the new defamation bill earlier this week

Advertisement