Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Garden design websites or software??

Options
  • 07-07-2006 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Folks,

does anyone know of any good Garden design websites or software?

I have a 35 ft x 35 ft sq. walled suburban rear garden that I'm looking to do something with. Just lawn at the moment. I want to get some ideas/plans together to see what I can do myself or that I can discuss with landscapers.

Anyone have any resources they can recommend.

MtM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Need I say more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Take a look at www.alci.ie which features a listing of professional garden landscaping contractors. If you go to the members page you will see the individual members details with links to members websites etc.

In general here's a word of advice, when seeking prospective landscapers always check to see the following:

- employer/public liability insurance
    - at least 2-3 references of similar projects completed within the last 12 months
    - go look at the reference projects and also very useful to talk to clients (other work aspects also important such as reliability, punctuality, efficiency etc).

For a professional service use an ALCI registered member (fully insured registered and professional landscapers).

Your garden is a critical asset use a professional to exploit its full potential.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

Mike, there are a number of garden designers and information on the site below, primarily based in the Dublin area. It would be worth a look for some ideas.

Pickapro.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Cork Rebel

Hi,

In common with Mike I too would be interested in knowing if there is any garde design website or software.

I can't speak for Mike but I'm looking for something free and useful, I can imagine if you contact any professional guys there will be a fee.

I have about a half acre site and looking for any ideas or photographs of anyone who has designed their own gardens or have any good ideas.

Thanks

Rebel

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eve1

There is one on the BBC website, which looks ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Thanks for the link Irish Gardener. Good luck with the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Thanks Sonnenblumen - Landscapers in Limerick are quoting 6 month leadtimes! Is this normal?

foamcutter, thanks for the link - mostly Dublin mind - so the travelling expenses to Limerick would make i unfeasible.

Cork Rebel - did you get any replies to your garden sw request?

MtM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭qazxsw

looking for something along those lines myself

http://www.artifice.com/free/dw_lite.html

haven't tried it though :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Eve1 wrote:
    There is one on the BBC website, which looks ok.

I bought something from the BBC for my mother a few years ago, it cost like 10 euros.. Keep an eye out for something from them.. It was BBC brand software, and it was quite good. It had info on all plants, and you could print off weekly todo lists, etc. (well from the front cover anyhow)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

The June edition ( I think ) of PC Live had a free garden design software on the cover disk ..... also available to download I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Cork Rebel

Mike,

I haven't received anything, how about yourself.

I have looked at a few books, but I didn't find them great, there either too formal or just not suitable.

Has anyone any recommendations on good books?

Rebel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dmck

Just Google "Garden design software". Cant recommend any of them. I used AutoCAD LT for designing my home/garden. Its a bit pricey however. How about getting some graph paper and doing a scaled drawing by hand or this crowd www.gardenstransformed.ie will give you an estimate and design for 50euro. (so i'm told!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

take a decco at uk.tv.gardens on tv. a couple of hours there and your sorted

Advertisement