Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike?

Options
  • 07-07-2006 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Currently have a motorbike for commuting purposes to town ( about 9 miles ) but looking to get a new bike to help me lose some weight. Can anyone give any advice on a decent bike to use for this purpose?

Any help appreciated - i'm no lance armstrong, but would like to get going.........

Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

A second hand racer bike is always handy. If you found you liked cycling you could join a club, and upgrade to a new bike once you get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Just thinking about equipment other than the bike for a minute...

9 miles is a decent distance (same as me in fact).
    I shower at either end of my cycle because I cycle fast and sweat like a pig. Do you have a shower available?
    I leave my towel and shower gear in my desk locker.

Like motorcycling, a helmet, gloves and hi-viz gear are good ideas on a bicycle. A mirror is handy too - you'll probably be so used to having one on the motorbike that you might lost without it on the bike.

Good luck with the weight loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Nine miles (I'm presuming each way, e.g. 18 miles round trip) is indeed a decent distance. I'd suggest a road bike if you are comfortable with the riding position or otherwise a fast hybrid (sometimes called "flat bar" road bikes.) Showers are a godsend. Do you have a budget?

Advertisement