Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop Recommendations

• 07-07-2006 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

Right, I'm looking at getting a laptop. I am not really going to be using it for gaming as I know I'll never be able to afford it but If I could get one that would be a huge plus. I'd love to be able to play CounterStrike:Source and FM06.

I would like at least 512mb RAM(I want it to run quickly and smoothly) No Celeron's processors. I would like a Card Reader(???) even though I don't know what it is, I've heard it's beneficial :p

CD Burner is essential and I'd love DVD burner also. Wi-fi Internet ready is a must must must!

It doesn't have to be extremely light weight or anything but to be portable is a plus but not essential. Aka - I wouldn't spend extra just for a lighter lappy.

I want to be photoshopping so, Needs to be able to run it.

Windows XP is a must must must. Home or Pro don't matter.

I've a very small budget and I don't know much about laptops at all. This is why I'm asking. I would appreciate links and advice very much as I'm saving my birthday moiney and more for this.

Budget is probably Maximum of €500, I'd obviously prefer new one but I wouldn't mind going 2nd hand if needs be. No ebaying though.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

A few points:

for 500 Euro, your only real option is a Dell 1300 laptop. I don't no if you will get the 512Mb + non-Celeron combination for this price.

Also, if you don't know what a card reader is, why do you want it? I don't know what a flux capacitor is, but I am fairly sure I don't want one. I have a card reader in this very laptop and I barely use it at all (and I have three devices that use cards - phone, PDA and digital camera).

As for Windows XP - I don't think there are any laptops (bar Macs) that don't come with XP these days. I am sure some smartass will correct me. Actually, don't Macs come with XP now? ;)

Wifi is pretty much standard on all laptops now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You really won't get what you want for 500.

500 will get you a Celeron M 1.5 with 512mb Ram from DELL in the 1300 range, as mentioned above.

It comes with the GMA900 integrated graphics, which are good for integrated graphics, but sadly crap in general terms. Will run older games like Call of Duty, Unreal 2003, Enemy Territory etc fine, newer games, including CS:Source, not a hope unless you butcher the game so badly its worthless.

Even second hand you won't get much of a gaming rig for that price.

Card readers do not come in laptops unless you buy a fairly expensive one. But with an external one costing about 15 quid new, its hardly a necessity.

WiFi may or may not come with the 1300, it depends on the price. I wouldn't be expecting a dvd-rw drive for that range either.

You are asking way too much for 500, laptops are not like desktops, you REALLY have to be willing to shell out to get one capable of gaming at a respectable level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

right, I'm back with a budget of up to €600. I'm not looking for gaming anymore. I want a basic enough lappy with a big Hard-Drive as I will not be doing anything illegal.

Must be quick. I dont want a slow piece of crap. I'd quite happily go 2nd hand if it means I can get a better one. This thread is mainly helping me understand Laptop specs more. Like, I'm not sure about which processors are good.

Anyway, help me. :P

Mod edit: no discussion of illegal activities, full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭realblackstuff

You really should have a look at this laptop, IBM Thinkpad T40
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/IBM-Thinkpad-T40-CDRWDVD-WiFi-Refurbished-P4-Laptop_W0QQitemZ140041758108QQihZ004QQcategoryZ177QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    You can buy a DVD-burner if you don't think a DVD/CDRW is enough.
    Contact seller, he might accomodate you (if you are interested).
    I'v bought several used Thinkpads off Ebay, all of them brilliant.
    They one of the best around.
    Or spend another €500 and buy the T60 model (also on Ebay)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Check Dell's refurbished line (these are returned notebooks that Dell fix and are as good as new generally but most people won't buy them so they have to reduce the price). Apple do this with their products also. Also some of Dells are just ones that they had processed to build but then the buyer canceled the order so it could be brand new.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dfo

I'll have a quick look now and see if I can find anything for you. If I don't edit my post, you can look yourself.

edit---

one you can enter a prize of a 1300 inspiron on that site.

two there is a bargin going for 630 Euro on the site with roughly the specs you wanted. I did a quick google search on the model and couldn't find any serious problems but you might want to look a bit yourself.

Good review of this laptop:
    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2738
    Inspiron 1300 (System Identifier. EERZPA0B)	 
    Inspiron 1300 Pentium M Pro 725a 1.60 GHz
    Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition

System Price	EUR 634.00

Operating System:	Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
     Memory:	512MB, DDR2, 533MHz (2x256) ULD 
     Hard Disk Drive:	40GB (5400rpm) IDE Hard Drive
     NoteBook Screen:	15.4 inch WXGA (1280x800) LCD Panel
     Modem:	Internal 56K Modem
     DVD Drive:	8X DVD+/-RW

I have roughly this spec on my laptop (probably with a better graphics card) and I can run HL2 on medium settings so I think this should run it on Lowest settings. You won't run some later games like Quake 4 though I don't think at least not at the proper framerate.

http://outlet.dell.com/Emea_Dfo/EuDispatcher?country=IRL&target=InventoryPage&lob_constraint=INSP

edit

I added it to my basket to see if there was added vat and not only is vat added and delivery free but if you buy now there is an 80 Euro off voucher on the 634 - 80 = 554 which gives you enough room to buy a reasonable warranty on it for 600 Euro. Really seems like a bargin at the moment. I've added it to my basket so nobody can buy it for the next 15 minutes so if you can't get it in the next 15 minutes then thats the reason. The basket will empty after 15 minutes and then you can add it to yours if you want it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Thanks very much man but I won't have the money for a few weeks until we move house. Appreciate it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

tom dunne wrote:
    Actually, don't Macs come with XP now?

not unless you really want to screw up a perfectly good installation.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The 1300 comes with the GMA900 graphics controller.

It's not designed for games and is not a good performer. HL2 runs at very low settings if you set it to Direct x7 mode instead of 9. Quake IV runs at low settings a a dangerously low framerate, essentially unplayable.

BF2, BF2142, Oblivion, FEAR, all those newer titles, none of them work on it at all.

Advertisement