Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steyr

Options
  • 07-07-2006 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

has anyone come across the steyr pro-hunter in a .223?
    or steyr in general. i saw one the other day and it looks the business and priced well, but after doing a bit of research, there doesnt seem to be too many 2nd hand ones floating about. are there any issues with them?
    are they crap or are they good?
    i'll be using it for varmint and not as much on the range.

ta
    iremex

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

I have a SSG in .243, like every SSG I am on my 3rd mag well, the mag well is some sort of plastic rubbish construction a annoying fault with the SSG, apart from that I enjoy the gun, great for rabbits ,foxs, and of course paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

To echo Les45 comments
    A very good rifle,used one alot in Germany,trying to get the liscense for the same as Les has, a 243.Although I used it in 308.IMO a much faster bolt action than most.Forget who,but there is a crowd in the US who now make the mag well in steel.It's unusual for that problem,considering the SSG was designed as a military sniper weapon and Steyr isnt known generally for making rubbish.
    The pro hunter for me is abit too heavy in 223.If you can get over it's very weird looks the Steyr scout in 223 is another good weapon.
    East coast gunroom has an ad for them in this months shooters digest.
    BTW Les where did you buy yours,and what scope do you have on it,if you dont mind me asking?

Gerry Scully, scope is a Leopuld 5 by 25 by 50 with the Varmint Reticule. The mag well is a common problem, if you can dig up the info re the US Replacement that would be great, I am on my third mag well ,and bear in mind there is only 350plus rounds through the gun in 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Sweet package Les!!
    Would it be worth your while giving Steyr HQ in Austria a call about that magwell problem??That is abnormaly low roundage for it to break that often??
    Either a major design fault ,or quality control is out the door in the last few years.
    Or if you want me to compose a letter/email in german for you re the prob, will gladly do.

Dont worry about the letter. The Southern Gun Company are willing to replace the part foc. Apart from the mag well problem thr SSG is a very well made rifle. Put a decent scope on it or any Steyr and you have a Gun for life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement