Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭steve_r

library bar, (It's upstairs in the central hotel) just off george's street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MonkeySocks24

steve_r wrote: »
    library bar, (It's upstairs in the central hotel) just off george's street

Great and what time do you usually meet? how many go to the book club! I am going to get the two books out of the library.

meet at 8pm sharp.

it varies how many come tbh, there's been as few as three and as many as eight or nine, depends on the night and the book, I suppose

meet at 8pm sharp.

it varies how many come tbh, there's been as few as three and as many as eight or nine, depends on the night and the book, I suppose

Sounds good. Finding those books really hard to get hold off! Library won't have them till 3wks :(. I guess it's because one of them won an award.

the book depository website is usually very good, cheap, no delivery charge and will deliver in 3-4 working days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 jellybee

hey, I've been meaning to join a book club for ages now :). Whwn do you meet?

next meeting is thurs 15 july (so next thurs) in the library bar (upstairs in Central hotel, off Georges st) at 8pm.

We're reading the runners by Fiachra Sheridan, hopefully you can make it

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Sounds good. Finding those books really hard to get hold off! Library won't have them till 3wks :(. I guess it's because one of them won an award.
    I just returned my borrowed copy back to Cabra library. did you get your copy yet? The libraries are usually very good at sourcing books for you.

I just returned my borrowed copy back to Cabra library. did you get your copy yet? The libraries are usually very good at sourcing books for you.

Have it ordered in! so should get it this week!!

Sorry, I'm just not sure what relevance this post has to the reading club?

Maybe it should be in a different forum?

• Advertisement

Sorry, I'm just not sure what relevance this post has to the reading club?

Maybe it should be in a different forum?

What post?

What post?
    Hi there, it's OK now. Some newbie posted a message here yesterday about courses in a college in Dublin. It had absolutely nothing to do with the reading club, so I sent him/her a pm telling them so, & suggested adverts.ie

All is OK now, back to the reading club discussion!

I finished both books & thoroughly enjoyed them, good choices!

I can't make the meeting tonight :(

Ok guys, next meeting is Thursday August 12, at 8pm in the Library Bar (upstairs in the Central Hotel, off Georges Street)

Next Book is "Zeitoun" by Dave Eggers.

It's the true story of Abdulrahman Zeitoun. In the aftermath of hurricane Katrina he paddled from house to house in a canoe, offering help to his neighbours. For his trouble, he was arrested as a suspected terrorist.

337 Pages

P.S for those who are interested, the "choose your own adventure" book is called "Life's Lottery" by Kim Newman. It mightn't be the easiest to find though.

In case anyone is intersted in reading more-

Other books by Dave Eggers:
    • A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
    • You Shall Know Our Velocity
    • How We Are Hungry
    • What is the What – the Autobiography of Valentino Achak Deng
    • The Wild Things

See the website (for info. about the pirate shop!)
    http://www.mcsweeneys.net/

I can't make the meeting tonight :(
    Sorry you couldn't make it, we hope to meet you next time!

Here are some other books we were discussing for future meetings:

• Bright Lights, Big City – Jay McInerney
    • It’s not What You Think – Chris Evans
    • Frank Skinner Autobiography – Frank Skinner
    • The Help – Kathryn Stockett
    • The Passage – Justin Cronin

If anyone has any other suggestions, please can you add to this list?

So many good books to read........

Sorry, just thought of another one, a favourite author of mine:

"Less Than Zero" by Brett Easton Ellis

His follow up book has just been released and it is called "Imperial Bedrooms" though the reviews on amazon aren't great. I'll probably read his new book anyway as I love all his books.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Are new people welcome in this? I'd love to meet up with a book club. I'm in Dublin city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

kylith wrote: »
    Are new people welcome in this? I'd love to meet up with a book club. I'm in Dublin city.

+1

I'd be quite interested but I'm wondering is it a case of just turn up or is there a secret handshake and codeword? :)

Sorry I can't manage this multi-quote thing.

In reply to you both, of course you can just come along, no secet code or handshake! The details of the meeting are posted earlier on in this thread.

If you get a chance to have a look at the book of the month, that would be great. Dave Eggers is good, in my opinion.

You'll probably be able to recognise us easily as there is likely to be a collection of books on the table (mine!)

We look forward to meeting you.

• Advertisement

P.S for those who are interested, the "choose your own adventure" book is called "Life's Lottery" by Kim Newman. It mightn't be the easiest to find though.

Thanks for that info. I ordered the Kim Newman book yesterday from Amazon, it's a second-hand version, so I don't know how long it will take to arrive. It doesn't seem to be the easiest to find. It's on Book Depository also, but the second hand version is a bit more expensive there.

Thanks for that info. I ordered the Kim Newman book yesterday from Amazon, it's a second-hand version, so I don't know how long it will take to arrive. It doesn't seem to be the easiest to find. It's on Book Depository also, but the second hand version is a bit more expensive there.

The book arrived from amazon today, that was good customer service. I've started it & love the whole concept of making decisions that inform your life choices.

If anyone wants to read it when I've finished, you're more than welcome, as it may not be easy to get. I'll bring the book along to the meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

The next meeting is Thursday September 2nd at 8pm. We're reading 'The Slap' by Christos Tsiolkas. New people always welcome. PM me for info or to be added to emaIl list

Sorry I couldn't make it yesterday. I cycled in to George's St and then realised I'd left my bike lock at home.

What's the new book?

It's the Plague by Albert Camus.

We're meeting again on 23 September

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bookworm192398

Next meeting is October 14th and the book is 'The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks' by Rebecca Skloot. I've seen it in Easons and Hodges Figgis so it shouldn't be too hard to find. It'll be under biography or popular science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 claire*

hey can new people join?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yup, just show up at 8 on Thursday! You can keep an eye out for us (someone at the table will probably have the book out), ask where we are at the bar (as we usually tell them) or PM me if you want contact details.

Next meeting November 4th. The book is House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielowski. It's been out for a while so any good bookshop should have it.

• Advertisement

Guys,

Next book is Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.

We will be meeting at 8pm on November 24th in the Libary Bar in the Central hotel, which is just off George's Street.

The book is 179 pages and should be available from:
    Hope to see you there, all newbies welcome

Advertisement