Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Hey folks. We are reading The Glass Bead Game by Herman Hesse on Thursday, 30th April at 8:30 in the Library Bar of the Central Hotel. New members are always welcome.

We're reading The Sound of Things Falling by Juan Gabriel Vásquez for our next meeting on Thursday, 21st May at half eight in the Library Bar of the Central Hotel. Join us if you can.

For our next book we're reading Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo.

We're meeting on 11th June at 8:30 in the Library Bar of Central Hotel to discuss. New members are always welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tewson

We're reading Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain for the next one.

We will meet on 2nd July at 8.30pm at the usual place, the Library Bar.

New members are welcome as always.

For our next book we're reading The Meursault Investigation by Kamel Daoud.

We'll be meeting on Thursday 13th August at 8:30 pm to discuss.

• Advertisement

Sorry for the delay updating. We are reading Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities for the next meet up. It's really a novella so if you pick it up over the weekend you'd finish it in plenty time.

We'll be meeting on September 3rd at 8:30pm in the Library Bar of Central Hotel to discuss.

New members are always welcome.

Hello again.

We are reading Preparation for the Next Life by Atticus Lish for our next book.

We'll be meeting at 8:30pm in the Library Bar of the Central Hotel to discuss on Thursday 24th September should you wish to discuss.

New members are always welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Next meeting is 8.30 on 15th October. The book is 'When the Doves Disappeared' by Sofi Oksanen

New members are always welcome. Just send a pm if you're curious!

We're reading Night Film by Marisha Pessl in suitably Halloween themed fashion for our next meeting.

Meeting at 8:30 in the Library Bar of Central Hotel on Thursday 5th November to discuss. If you're interested in coming along just get in touch.

We're reading How To Talk About Books You Haven't Read by Pierre Bayard for our next meeting which will be on Thursday, 25th November in the Library Bar at 8:30 pm.

I guess you can show up even if you haven't read it. Or can you? You'll have to read it to find out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

For the next meeting we'll be reading A man's world : the double life of Emile Griffith by Donald McRae.

We'll meet on Thursday 28th January at 8:30pm in the Library Bar in the Central Hotel to talk about the book.

In the interests of completeness we read two books before the last one:

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick
    My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante

We are reading Albert Nobbs by George Moore for our next meeting, on Thursday 18th February, 8:30pm in the Library Bar.

In the interests of completeness we read two books before the last one:

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick
    My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante

We are reading Albert Nobbs by George Moore for our next meeting, on Thursday 18th February, 8:30pm in the Library Bar.

In the interests of completeness we read The Dumb House by John Burnside for our last meeting.

We are reading When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi for our next meeting. We'll be discussing it on Thursday 31st March at 8:30pm in the Library Bar. Join us if you can.

Hi folks

Next book is Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler.

Available here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Darkness-at-Noon-Arthur-Koestler/dp/0099424916/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459591471&sr=8-1&keywords=Darkness+at+Noon+-+Arthur+Koestler

https://www.bookdepository.com/Darkness-at-Noon-Arthur-Koestler/9780099424918

and your local libary.

Meeting 21st April at 8:30pm in Library Bar.

Thanks

Stephen

Hey everyone,

We are reading Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman for our next meet up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amusing-Ourselves-Death-Methuen-paperback/dp/0413404404

Meeting on Thursday 12th May at half eight in the Library Bar of Central Hotel.

Next book is The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks.
    Meeting is on 02 June at 8:30pm in the Library Bar, Central hotel

Next book is Chernobyl Prayer by Svetlana Alexievich.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chernobyl-Prayer-Chronicle-Svetlana-Alexievich/dp/0241270537

Meeting at half eight in the Library Bar of Central Hotel on June 23rd for those interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

steve_r wrote: »
    Next book is The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks.
    Meeting is on 02 June at 8:30pm in the Library Bar, Central hotel

I'd be interested to know what people in the reading club thought about this book? I read it a few years back and it was probably the most disturbing book I've ever read. Not necessarily a criticism as I also found it gripping in a darkly humorous way. Not an easy book to classify in any way, shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

I'd be interested to know what people in the reading club thought about this book? I read it a few years back and it was probably the most disturbing book I've ever read. Not necessarily a criticism as I also found it gripping in a darkly humorous way. Not an easy book to classify in any way, shape or form.

Also interested to hear! I've read a few Iain [M] Banks books and though they've nearly always disappointed me wi their respective endings, he can write very gripping prose and use unusual narrative devices (e.g. Complicity).

• Advertisement

The best way to find out what we thought of the book is to show up for a meeting. We often discuss books we've read before though the focus is obviously always on the current choice. I realise that's tricky when you're in Cork. :)

For my part, whilst I thought it was quite readable it didn't really win me over. It's an elaborate set up and Banks never really made me believe in the protagonist, his world view or his world. It all came across as quite contrived.

It was quite reminiscent of We Have Always Lived in the Castle which I have similar feelings about. We recently read The Dumb House in the club and that shares a similar premise again but the author really brought me into the world and there are some genuine jaw dropping moments in it.

Next book is Outlaws by Javier Cercas.

Meeting at half eight in the Library Bar of Central Hotel on July 14th for those interested.

Next book is Imagine Me Gone by Adam Haslett.

Meeting at half eight in the Library Bar of Central Hotel on August 11th for those interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What's the book and date for the next one?

Next book is Walden by Henry David Thoreau.

I wasn't at the last meeting but assume we're meeting on Thursday 29th September to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Flattery

Hello all,

Are you meeting up this month? And, if so, did youse settle on a book? Would love to get involved ...

Flattery wrote: »
    Hello all,

Are you meeting up this month? And, if so, did youse settle on a book? Would love to get involved ...

Hi, next meeting is 20th October and the book is
    'King of the World' by David Remnick.
    I won't be there myself, but if you send me a pm I can send you some more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pablojml

Hello, I'm interested in this reading group.

Could someone share the dynamics of it? or a PM to get further info?

Hi, I'll send you a pm, I've just noticed that the next book hasn't been posted. It's American Pastoral by Philip Roth and the meeting is 17th November as usual at 8.30 in the Library Bar.

• Advertisement

Next book is The Vegetarian by Han Kang
    We're meeting on 15th December and going for dinner at the Richmond, so if anybody does want to come we will need to know in advance this time.

Advertisement