Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ibb weird new problem

• 07-07-2006 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

hi,
    im having another weird problem with my lovely ibb.
    so far this week my download speed has been steadily dropping.
    from 200kB to 100kB to 50kB to about 8kB atm.
    however during this period my upload ability has been steadily increasing.

im at the point now where i tested my upload speed at almost 640kB [6 meg-ish]
    im on the 2meg breeze service, baldoyle mast.

anyone else notice these strange goings on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

720kB upload and 3kB download now.
    they have someone coming out during the week to check my connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Nice one you got the un capped upload!, i've about 4Mbit on a 2Mbit Breeze, but it's always up and down, thats upload. it's sweet when your friends need to download files from you.

Most connections go like that when IBB tweak the connection for VoIP.
    If your getting atleset 6Mbit steady that the Radio flat out! and must be cloese too with a good SNR.

By the way is the VoIP actual ok for you, Not skype now

i didnt mention anything about voip.
    but, yes, my voip works fine, as it always have.

massive upload is no use to me at all.
    :/

well, the engineers ca,e out.
    they have no idea whats wrong with my line.

i can max out my connection at abiout 8kB/s now.

my upload is around 8.5mB/s
    IBB arent intereted in that for some reason???

anyway, i need to change bb providers and magnet are aviailbe in my area.
    would anyone recommend going with them?
    and how do i get out of my ibb contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

subway, what's the contention ratio on the 2Mb Breeze? If it's 40:1 then your minimum guaranteed speed should be 2M/40 = 50kbps, which is 6.25kBps. If it's 20:1 then the min is 100kbps or 12.5kBps. If your speeds are below this then IBB are in breech of your contract and you can cancel the service.

Make sure to cancel the direct debit with the bank yourself too because if not IBB will keep charging you. Write a letter to IBB explaining that your not happy with them supplying below the minimum and you are cancelling the service immediately. Then disconnect and don't use it again.

• Advertisement

contention is 24:1

the guy noted that my speeds are below and tried to get me to downgrade,
    i didnt take the offer as i dont want a lesser serivce, i want whast i am paying for.

somethings definitely up,
    ive been monitoring my usage for the past few days and noticed that ive been getting full speed on and off but only through nntp downloads.

right now im getting 215kB/s throgh nntp, if i stop and try http its still 9kB/S
    im completely confused.
    my pings are down at 6 to 9 ms and i can hit my potential max through some ports, but not others ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That is strange, perhaps IBB have some weird traffic shaping going on at different times of the day for different ports. If you want rid of it though then now would be the time to act since you're not getting what they promise. It's the only way you'll get out of a contract if that's what you want.

i only want out if im not getting my full service.
    i dont care who i get my bb from, im happy with ibb excepot for this "little" issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

My download is good but my upload is gone and i have 12% packet loss and an average ping of 344 to an irish server.

maybe we can split it down the middle ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

My download is good but my upload is gone and i have 12% packet loss and an average ping of 344 to an irish server.
    same here maye but only 1 packet lost out of 100... but i get around .5kb/s upload and 230kb/s download.The customer service rep was a very nice bloke, he tried everything he could to fix it... he made me send an ss of my speed, a tracert and ping... he said ring back on mon cause he has to send it up to second level whatever that is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

subway wrote:
    maybe we can split it down the middle ......

LOL yeah Id settle for a 1 meg that worked anyday. Perhaps they are trying to do some load balancing on their network to sort it out.

Also little tip lads send them the trace routes and pings before ya ring them. I rang them today and he said he had recieved my email and that it was being looked at by second level. I told them a mate in finglas was also having problems and asked if there was some known issue on the north site. He said if there was he`d be getting a lot of calls.

according to the engineers that came out there are similar problems with a few poeple on the baloyle mast.

ive no idea what their doing.
    dont care too much now as i get full speed where i need it.
    http doesnt bother me too much as boards is slower than dial up anyway ;)

still want them to fix my connectio tho,
    i know your reading this ibb ;)

Advertisement