Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE - World Wacky Entertainment?

• 07-07-2006 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Just going through a few of my DVDs and downloads of matches from TNA, ROH, NJPW, PWG, IWW, NWA Ireland and WWE.

Is it me, or is it becoming more and more apparent that WWE has very little to do with wrestling anymore? What was the last great wrestling match?

Looking at the other promotions, the storylines seem to get in the way of the wrestling, in WWE its the opposite. ROH, you will see a stellar match every show. Likewise TNA, likewise PWG, even if its production values are adequate at best you will see technical matches, which are not sir the pure prupose of seeling another storyline. FFS, look at Raw for the last few weeks - for a 2 hours show, there has been about 34-40 mins of actual wrestling, the rest, filler, tits, ass, Vince who is both etc etc etc.

Question is, does Pro Wrestling need the E to survive as a whole across the board?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I noticed that a good while ago, and it's annoying me more every week. SD does generally have at least 1 very good match though, with the likes of Finlay, Regal, Benoit, London, Kendrick, Booker, Hardy, Nunzio, Noble and others having a good match somewhere during the show for the last year or so. Raw doesn't have any sort of guarantee like that though

WWE needs guys who can wrestle. That is their foundation. If they only put guys who can't wrestle on tv, people would see them all for what they are, and they wouldn't be very likely to buy into that. WWE makes the most money from what they do compared to all other wrestling promotions, so most wrestlers (if they're looking for the best money for their work) will aspire to work for WWE. They'll always have talented guys wanting to work for them as long as they're making good profits

But I'm sure wrestling would still survive even if WWE got rid of it in their shows. If anything, TNA (being their main competitor in America) would become a lot bigger if that happened. And since they focus more on wrestling than WWE does, I'd imagine it would make wrestling stronger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

i thought that it had become apparent a number of years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭castagnoli

Yeah the standard in matches in the WWE continues to get worse. Just 3 or 4 years ago they were putting out at least 4 star matches on a regular basis. The last good match I can think of off hand is Angle vs the Undertaker from No Way Out.
    As stated above, SD does have the better roster in terms of in ring ability, but the shows just arent good enough. The thing is Raw have all the big draws and entertaining shows, so the lack of quality matches arent noticed so much.
    If people want better matches, start watching TNA and if people want great matches, start watching ROH!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

But TNA are n't doing any better in terms of getting people to buy their shows than WWE. A study done by Meltzer estimated that only 4 % of both the WWE and TNA total audience by their ppvs each month.

So better wrestling at least right now is n't equating to bigger buy rates.

In contrast the UFC over the last 6 months, their buy rates have gone through the roof. Ortiz v Shamrock today alone is looking like it will reach the domestic number for Wrestlemania this year in combination with a 4 million dollar gate. Last year there buy rates were nowherwe near that level.

I think right now its not necessarily drama , goofiniess or even wrestling that sells right now. Its beleivability and thats why UFC is currently so successful.

The audience wants to be able to believe or at least suspend their disbelief in thinking that two particuliar guys hate each other. Thats why Austin and McMahon worked. Thats why Steiner and Joe works to a degree. The people beleive that they are two badasses that don't like each other and care about who wins.

WWE has lost the ability to do that on a regular basis. Just too much goofiness.

On Ring of Honour. The 6 man dragon gate match is so unbeleivably good I can't describe. Certain match of the year for me and years ahead of everyone else. Its must see.

On Ring of Honour. The 6 man dragon gate match is so unbeleivably good I can't describe. Certain match of the year for me and years ahead of everyone else. Its must see.

Absolutely. I was done to absolute perfection and is without a shadow of a doubt the best multi man match Ive ever seen. On paper its just a spot fest but there is so much more to it than that. An absolute must see for everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

edit: nevermind, i cant read!

I cannot remember the last decent wwe match, TNA seems to have lost its way in the last few months. Everytime I see ROH it has impressed the hell outta me, recently seen and old 4 corner survival with Jack Evans, Samoa Joe, Ebessan, and Delirious where Ebessan and Delirious start wrestling in slow mo, pure class!

b0bsquish wrote:
    edit: nevermind, i cant read!

I cannot remember the last decent wwe match, TNA seems to have lost its way in the last few months. Everytime I see ROH it has impressed the hell outta me, recently seen and old 4 corner survival with Jack Evans, Samoa Joe, Ebessan, and Delirious where Ebessan and Delirious start wrestling in slow mo, pure class!

Thats easily the best comedy match ever! The slo mo shining wizard is the greatest thing I've ever seen!
    TBH TNA is still on a par at least with WWE. Their story lines with Joe vs Steiner and Jarretts title reign are better than anything WWE have produced in ages. I am also loving the Nash vs the X Division story, Nash is really excelling in the comical bad guy role, although I have to say, GET JOHNNY DEVINE OUT!!!! There is no point in him being there and Shelley and Nash are as good a pair as Ive seen in ages in wrestling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ya, just saw that match yesterday. Very funny indeed, which is needed in ROH, as from the little I have seen of it, it seems to take itself too seriously altogether. In fact that entire DVD is great - Aries Vs Gibson is top class, and Shelley Vs Strong aint half bad either.

What event/DVD is this on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Supercard Of Honor- Chicago Ridge of this year. The match is Do Fixer (Dragon Kid, Genki Horiguchi, & Ryo Saito) vs. Blood Generation (CIMA, Naruki Doi, & Masato Yoshino).

Heresa link to it: https://www.rohwrestling.com/shoponline.asp?point=moreinfo&catid=187&id=1784

Advertisement