Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Overtaking over speed limit?

Options
  • 08-07-2006 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, just wondering is it allowed to exceed the speed limit when overtaking a car?

I believe i have just been collared for doing 65mph on a dual carriageway when overtaking a car doing about 58mph on the inside lane - as i passed a junction i saw this ultra-high flash :(

Any opinions/advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

You're just jealous because I get to chat to hot chicks online all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

no, a speed limit is there for a reason, to save lives and not to go over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Cremo wrote:
    no, a speed limit is there for a reason, to save lives and not to go over it.

:rolleyes:

There is no legal exception when overtaking, the limit is the limit.

If the limit was 100kph (62mph) and you were doing 65mph according to the speedo I highly doubt you were done, most speedos over estimate so you were probably not exceeding the limit at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I bring a camera along and flash at people overtaking me.:D

Chances are the the Gatso won't have a valid pic. It needs two flashes for comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The new camera systems that work over a long distance allow for the speed limit to be broken during overtaking as long as the average speed remains below the limit you are OK.

A senior police officer from NI was talking about the system and specifically mentioned that this would be the case. Of course there does not seem to be anything written anywhere about being allowed to break the limit while overtaking.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

MrPudding wrote:
    The new camera systems that work over a long distance allow for the speed limit to be broken during overtaking as long as the average speed remains below the limit you are OK.

A senior police officer from NI was talking about the system and specifically mentioned that this would be the case. Of course there does not seem to be anything written anywhere about being allowed to break the limit while overtaking.

MrP

Whereas it can often be safer to break the speed limit whilst overtaking on a single-lane carriageway, the safety argument doesn't really apply when overtaking on a dual carriageway, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,412 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anan1 wrote:
    Whereas it can often be safer to break the speed limit whilst overtaking on a single-lane carriageway, the safety argument doesn't really apply when overtaking on a dual carriageway, IMO.

Agree

Also, a garda might have some discretion about someone overtaking on a single carriageway, although cameras have none :)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

The question was "is it legal" the answer is NO.

Gardai dont have discretion.... yeah right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭djeclips

This was hardly on the Mullingar by pass was it?

Think I got flashed there yesterday.Two flashes,first seemed like it was in my face was still blinking that one off when a second from behind.Was dusk and didn't notice a gasto???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Think I might have gotten done last night too :(

Comin downhill on the N9 (nice wide stretch, 100kph zone) a few miles outside Castledermot and overtook this Fiesta doin about 80/90 kph (I was doin about 110-115 kph, the logic being that even though the oncoming lane was clear for as far as was visible, you want to spend as little time over the line as possible) when what's pulled in at the bottom of the hill? Copper in a car with his arm hanging out and the camera aimed.

It took a lot of restraint not to ring Carlow Gardai and berate them for yet another purely revenue-gathering, cynical speedtrap.. I may do it yet though :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

djeclips wrote:
    This was hardly on the Mullingar by pass was it?

Think I got flashed there yesterday.Two flashes,first seemed like it was in my face was still blinking that one off when a second from behind.Was dusk and didn't notice a gasto???

Hahah, you got stung by the same Gatso at the same time!? It was dusk and it was just before Hamill's along the Kinnegad->Mullingar Dual Carriageway. Stupid thing was place at a junction, i'll know in future.

I only got one flash though - so something set it off, most likely it was me :(

Thanks for the answers guys, now i know it aint legal to pass the limit in any cass. As for the defence about ovetaking quickly, it might apply since theres a sign saying Dual Carriageway Ends Ahead but it wasnt visible until i'd made my choice. Oh well, i'll take whats coming (if anything at all)

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    It took a lot of restraint not to ring Carlow Gardai and berate them for yet another purely revenue-gathering, cynical speedtrap.. I may do it yet though :mad:

Don't, with a bit of luck there was no film in the camera.;)

Anan1 wrote:
    Don't, with a bit of luck there was no film in the camera.;)
    Well it was a handheld unit so probably not that lucky. Although, the cop hanging out the side window and pointing it doesn't seem very "precise" to me. Could you contest that it wasn't being used right?

Of course, the big problem, is it's your word against theirs and - as I've said here before - I'm of the opinion that that's not enough on it's own if a prosecution is being brought.

Feck it.. if I get done, I get done.. the way things are going, and the way they're enforcing it, it's going to be impossible not to get points for something or other. One thing though - do you have to tell your insurer when/if the points arrive, or can you tell them at renewal?

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Well it was a handheld unit so probably not that lucky. Although, the cop hanging out the side window and pointing it doesn't seem very "precise" to me. Could you contest that it wasn't being used right?

That sounds like a laser or radar gun to me, the cameras, AFAIK, are mounted in vans or boxes. If he didn't pull you at the time then I reckon you're ok. 115km/h on the speedo is probably only 108 or so real speed. I think the Guards allow a margin of 10% or so too, making you just about alright.

Anan1 wrote:
    That sounds like a laser or radar gun to me, the cameras, AFAIK, are mounted in vans or boxes. If he didn't pull you at the time then I reckon you're ok. 115km/h on the speedo is probably only 108 or so real speed. I think the Guards allow a margin of 10% or so too, making you just about alright.
    Just have to wait n see so I guess. Would annoy me even more as I was the only one who seemed to be obeying the speed restrictions on the N7 on the way down/back too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Anan1 wrote:

This might be true but the streach of road the copper was talking about is mostly dualled and more of it will be by the time the system is installed.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭djeclips

Hahah, you got stung by the same Gatso at the same time!? It was dusk and it was just before Hamill's along the Kinnegad->Mullingar Dual Carriageway. Stupid thing was place at a junction, i'll know in future.

I only got one flash though - so something set it off, most likely it was me :(

Thanks for the answers guys, now i know it aint legal to pass the limit in any cass. As for the defence about ovetaking quickly, it might apply since theres a sign saying Dual Carriageway Ends Ahead but it wasnt visible until i'd made my choice. Oh well, i'll take whats coming (if anything at all)

Yep the same one!! was about 10:30pm. Is there a fixed camera there or was it a van....Didn't thing the vans flash you if it was one....Probably totally wrong do. did notice an opel corsa pulled up arround the same spot,could that be it??

I'm usually pretty well behaved regards speed limits was on a return trip to Donegal from dub and with the dual carriageway kept it at 110-115....ah well what can you do..On the chin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

unkel wrote:
    Agree

Also, a garda might have some discretion about someone overtaking on a single carriageway, although cameras have none :)
    The pictures still need to reviewed by a garda so they still have discretion to ignore it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

someone in the know may correct me, but afaik unless its during full daylight hours, a speed camera cannot flash you from the front.

if it did flash you from the front and it was dusk/dark im sure you could contest it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

unless it was one of these, which do flash at the front,
    truvelo.jpg
    More info here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just to clarify a few things that I think were said here but I couldn't be arsed going back through all the posts:
    there is no fixed camera on the N4/M4 apart from the one opposite the Spa Hotel. All our fixed cameras capture the rear of the car. There were originally something like 22 of these with only 3 containing film at any one time.
    Gatso vans do not flash at you. Nor do the mobile patrols (unless they flash their headlamps!). There seeming will also be (if not out already) unmarked motorcycle patrols soon.
    Manned speed traps can take pics but I have been informed by someone in the force that these units are only based in Louth and Portlaoise.

Advertisement