Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ta moko

Options
  • 08-07-2006 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

has anybody got any suggestions for filling-in polynesian tattoo designs? i'm gettin a sleeve. happy with the outline which i've got. i don't want to cross any borders or sensitive issues with the rest of my tattoo though. i'm happy to get sharks teeth designs (signifying security/protection etc.)

Maori dudes feel that polynesian designs should also mean something, and shouldn't just be bod art. That's cool, and all, but from an aesthetic perspective, I LOVE THOSE CIRCULAR DESIGNS!!

Can i respect traditional tattoo/society norms and get a cool tattoo at the same time?!? (i know this seems deep, but i don't want to get a tattoo which i cant show off all over the world!!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

obrien_pa wrote:
    has anybody got any suggestions for filling-in polynesian tattoo designs? i'm gettin a sleeve. happy with the outline which i've got. i don't want to cross any borders or sensitive issues with the rest of my tattoo though. i'm happy to get sharks teeth designs (signifying security/protection etc.)

Maori dudes feel that polynesian designs should also mean something, and shouldn't just be bod art. That's cool, and all, but from an aesthetic perspective, I LOVE THOSE CIRCULAR DESIGNS!!

Can i respect traditional tattoo/society norms and get a cool tattoo at the same time?!? (i know this seems deep, but i don't want to get a tattoo which i cant show off all over the world!!)

Stay away from maori if you want to be sensitive, go for polynesian.
    It's not that the maori think it has to mean something, the tattoos represent their area and the tribal elders meet to assess if someone is worthy of carrying their marks and representing them.
    I love the stuff too, but I wouldn't even consider dissing a tradition like that.
    South Sea islanders are not as touchy apparently, their designs are more generic.
    I'm thinking of getting a polynesian legsuit at some point.

basically anything except maori for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

There are a lot of misconceptions when it comes to Maori tattoos. Traditional moko ensured that a Maori warrior killed in battle could be recognised by his family. Often the heads were removed and preserved either by the opposing tribes as a trophy or by the family of the dead person.

I discussed moko with several Maori artists who did not have a problem tattooing moko designs on whites as long as they understood the meaning of moko.

In the pictures below there is a shot of an Australian guy getting tattooed by Inia (of Moko Ink) a renowned Maori artist who was consulted for the movie Once were Warriors. You can also see a shot of a Maori girl who is clearly getting a design that has family connections.

http://www.tao-of-tattoos.com/maori-tattoos.html

http://www.tao-of-tattoos.com/more-tattoo-pictures.html

There are many people who claim that getting tattoos of indigenous culture is a form of cultural appropriation akin to theft. While others say that the symbols and art created by humans are universal in nature and come from a type of collective unconsciousness.

Advertisement