Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shels on strike...........

• 08-07-2006 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Amazed there no thread about it from any of the Shels fans.....

Anyway as reporteded on boards.ie cough i mean every radio station in dublin today Shels players went on strike today over unpaid monies ranging from bonuses to signing on fees to actual wages.

They refused to train today shockingly posted here 3 weeks ago that it was going to happen.

This is the killer of the money boys..They have "theatened" not to fulfil their UEFA Intertoto Cup fixture Ollie Byrne and Fenlon have declined to comment on anything really.

Irelands premier club have without a doubt proved that the EL is a complete joke and that they are truly an embarassment to football.

Well done Shels gg wp etc:

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

KdjaC wrote:
    Amazed there no thread about it from any of the Shels fans.....

Anyway as reporteded on boards.ie cough i mean every radio station in dublin today Shels players went on strike today over unpaid monies ranging from bonuses to signing on fees to actual wages.

They refused to train today shockingly posted here 3 weeks ago that it was going to happen.

This is the killer of the money boys..They have "theatened" not to fulfil their UEFA Intertoto Cup fixture Ollie Byrne and Fenlon have declined to comment on anything really.

Irelands premier club have without a doubt proved that the EL is a complete joke and that they are truly an embarassment to football.

Well done Shels gg wp etc:

kdjac

Saw this coming a mile off tbh. Yes you are right the EL is a complete embarassment. I heard about three weeks ago that 5 players all walked out of training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

What do you really expect with Ollie Byrne in charge of a football club. Hes got a brain the size of a tick. Shels are going nowhere fast with that joker in charge.

finnpark wrote:
    What do you really expect with Ollie Byrne in charge of a football club. Hes got a brain the size of a tick. Shels are going nowhere fast with that joker in charge.

LOL Controversial!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

finnpark wrote:

I was going to engage in the thread but if thats what passes for debate I think I'll pass. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

TheGooner wrote:
    Yes you are right the EL is a complete embarassment.
    The only people who should be embarrassed by the national league are those who refuse to support it.
    Cork City are in trouble with Revenue, Shels can't pay their players, Bohs have to sell their ground, Finn Harps are on the brink of extinction. Whose fault do you think that is, er, 'Gooner'?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

finnpark wrote:

Yes best club in Irleand, best players, best stadium.......total joker eh?

Had they not fulfilled that UEFA game they would have seriously ****ed up the league altho they doing a good job trying. Taking all the best players and now not paying them.

kdjac

johnos wrote:
    The only people who should be embarrassed by the national league are those who refuse to support it.
    Cork City are in trouble with Revenue, Shels can't pay their players, Bohs have to sell their ground, Finn Harps are on the brink of extinction. Whose fault do you think that is, er, 'Gooner'?

Sorry to disappoint you mate but I do support the EL, I am a member of Bohs, I can still say the EL is an embarrassment, especially after watching the quality of referees we have in the likes of Alan Kelly lastr night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

KdjaC wrote:
    Yes best club in Irleand, best players, best stadium.......total joker eh?

Cannot really be best club in Ireland if some first division teams have more support than them. They have wasted more money than any other club thats all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

In fairness it's been an accident waiting to happen. Shelbourne have been living well beyond their means for years now, they gambled their future on making an impact in Europe and have failed. Their poor average gate doesn't help either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Shelbourne players & staff issue statement - by Fintan Cassidy

The players and staff have come to an agreement with the club and this hopefully will see all issues resolved.

The players and staff of Shelbourne FC just want to get on with playing and winning games for the club.

In a separate statement, manager Pat Fenlon has appealed to all Shelbourne supporters to come along to Tolka Park on Sunday afternoon to support the team and players as they attempt to overturn Odense's three goal lead in the second round Inter Toto tie: "It's very important that our supporters turn out in numbers and maybe bring along some friends to boost the crowd and to get behind the team. We've a lot to do to get back on terms and a big crowd in good vocal voice in the stands would be like a '12th man' to us."

PS - I fricking hate internet cafe's, half the poxy buttons don't work. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

MrJoeSoap wrote:

PS - I fricking hate internet cafe's, half the poxy buttons don't work. :mad:

Oi, dont be dissing on netcafe's :) I work in one ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

This was always going to happen.

The eL is a joke, has been for a long time, this doesn't particularly change that. Football players not being paid is hardly exclusive to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Bateman wrote:
    This was always going to happen.

The eL is a joke, has been for a long time, this doesn't particularly change that. Football players not being paid is hardly exclusive to Ireland.

Yeah i do happen to remember a club by the name of REAL Madrid were rummored not to have payed player for 3 weeks. That was about 10 years ago.

This isnt a surprise. Its very difficult for any EL club to go full time, and to compete at the level shels want to compete is at is going to be expensive.

Also I have to give it too Ollie Byrne when he comes up with statements like "First of all we have to pay our players full time wages, and then we have to pay tax on that"

Yeah ollie, Same with every other industry in Ireland.

DaveH wrote:

This isnt a surprise. Its very difficult for any EL club to go full time, and to compete at the level shels want to compete is at is going to be expensive.

Really? So paying a left back 1500 a week is the same as paying an equally good one that came tru your youths 300 a week?

John Luby is a player who came tru (actually Crumlin Utds then pats then Shels but with shels at 19 )let go as they bought in a player for 1500 a week.

That would be on of the main reasons they suffering, if they had of went full time but actually produced players rather than buying in the best off the league every season, they may have a smaller wage bill and not be fcuked.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

TheGooner wrote:
    Sorry to disappoint you mate but I do support the EL, I am a member of Bohs, I can still say the EL is an embarrassment, especially after watching the quality of referees we have in the likes of Alan Kelly lastr night.
    Well, I got that wrong, didn't I? Must be the Alan Kelly disease.
    From one BFC member to another, sincere apologies.

johnos wrote:
    Well, I got that wrong, didn't I? Must be the Alan Kelly disease.
    From one BFC member to another, sincere apologies.

no probs buddy, i understand your need to beat someone up LOL :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

KdjaC wrote:
    Really? So paying a left back 1500 a week is the same as paying an equally good one that came tru your youths 300 a week?

John Luby is a player who came tru (actually Crumlin Utds then pats then Shels but with shels at 19 )let go as they bought in a player for 1500 a week.

That would be on of the main reasons they suffering, if they had of went full time but actually produced players rather than buying in the best off the league every season, they may have a smaller wage bill and not be fcuked.

kdjac

YES but if you READ MY COMMENT I SAID THE LEVEL SHELS WANT TO COMPETE AT!!!!

NAMELY ALAN MOORE 2K a week. Also they will need to get BETTER players to get to Champions League Group STAGE!! THAT IS THE LEVEL THEY WANT TO COMPETE AT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

To be fair outside its strangely high media profile and its even stranger ability to produce money from thin air shels is no where near the biggest club in the country cork and derry and others get far larger attendences week in week out regardless of who they play. In cork you will see as many city jerseys as any of the large premiership clubs. The sooner shells are no longer able to keep buying up any talent for sale the better.

DaveH wrote:
    YES but if you READ MY COMMENT I SAID THE LEVEL SHELS WANT TO COMPETE AT!!!!

NAMELY ALAN MOORE 2K a week. Also they will need to get BETTER players to get to Champions League Group STAGE!! THAT IS THE LEVEL THEY WANT TO COMPETE AT!

You have to win the league 1st, and looking at last seasons winners and there squad, makes yah think do you really need to buy in the best players or will adecent manager and some decent players not do it for you.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Supposedly their investors will make a move toward the end of this week, and Santry is secured, whatever the hell that means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

We're playing Sunderland soon, it couldn't be Niall Quinn could it?! :rolleyes: heh. Thanks be to Jesus there's no chance of that!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

KdjaC wrote:

No, losing to a bunch of Moldovan no-hopers 10-0 and thinking that registering players is only a concern of amateur clubs is what makes a club an embarassement.

At least Shels won't be trying to merge with another club in an attempt to steal their land.

Despite all the problems in the club, the players still go out and put in a worthy performance against OB. How many times did pats players do that last season?

As for people like finnpark slating Ollie Bynre. How long have you been into eL? Do you have any idea what state Shels were in when he took over the club? Do you know where we played? And who played for us? How long we'd gone without winning any trophy? :rolleyes:

Zebra3 wrote:
    No, losing to a bunch of Moldovan no-hopers 10-0 and thinking that registering players is only a concern of amateur clubs is what makes a club an embarassement.

At least Shels won't be trying to merge with another club in an attempt to steal their land.

Heh seen both games if we were the best team in the 90s and they destroyed us consistently over 2 legs with 5-0 each time, i would say they werent no hopers, quite good actually went on 5 more rounds before Spurs took them out of the Uefa cup.

How come only 1 club gained/ petitioned for our points to be removed, well done on that league title, all the other clubs accepted it as a mistake (even tho they had done it the previous season, yourselves included), even your manager left in disgust over the Shels antics then.

But then thankfully football justice prevailed we won our 1st tie in europe and Martin Chukwu became a legend for all. And yes we a very nice training pitch in Baldonnell which their chairman let us use (they still own it bt), dunno why... really but its nice.

But to add to the original topic the PFAI has encouraged all Shels players who are without payment to seek new clubs.

Football justice you steal league titles, chea,t lie and decieve your fans and players and you get what you deserve. As you can see the entire league is mourning your descent from best club to laughing stock.

Btw your investor is waiting to see your allowed into Santry before giving you any money to bail you out. Which will come 1st the transfer deadline or the apporval from Fingal CC?

But remember its all rumours and speculation and pointing and laughing at this stage.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    How come only 1 club gained/ petitioned for our points to be removed,

Only clubs who the illegal player had played against were allowed complain. As the other two clubs (Derry + Galway) were at the other end of the table, they couldn't have been bothered as the penalty was points deduction not the awarding of the fixture which if it had of been, you'd have seen both them complain.
    KdjaC wrote:
    well done on that league title, all the other clubs accepted it as a mistake (even tho they had done it the previous season, yourselves included),

Not true. After all it was Rovers (who gained a UEFA Cup place out of it-backs up my point above) who told Ollie about the second illegal player. Your club had voted for the rule change whereby clubs who played illegal players had to be deducted three points per game played by said player. Why vote for the rule change and then whinge when it was implemented? :confused:

Other clubs have since been deducted points for similar breaches of league regulations yet we don't hear a big song and dance about it.
    KdjaC wrote:
    even your manager left in disgust over the Shels antics then.

Not true. He was pissed off with the entire situation. Even clubs at schoolboy level have to be registered so surely the top league in the country should apply the same rule.
    KdjaC wrote:
    Heh seen both games if we were the best team in the 90s and they destroyed us consistently over 2 legs with 5-0 each time, i would say they werent no hopers, quite good actually went on 5 more rounds before Spurs took them out of the Uefa cup.

Again, another lie. They went on three more rounds. Knocked out a team from Georgia 3-2 agg, before losing to PSV and Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

johnos wrote:

The people who hold the pursestrings that are spending above their means?

Zebra3 wrote:

Not true. He was pissed off with the entire situation. Even clubs at schoolboy level have to be registered so surely the top league in the country should apply the same rule.

Lol rovers told Ollie? You give your chairman far too much respect, Ollie paid to acquire such knowledge as it was an FAI person who informed him of marneys/Charlies mis registration and he was registered just not in the way laid out (ie registered post). But leagues are won and lost in the high court eh? not on the pitch........

But anyway you got the CL money, the CL spot, we went near bankrupt you got Ndo, fairly sweet deal for Shels in the end, except losing to Hibs )lol never gets old) and oh not being able to pay your players.

Whilst Pats on the other hand just bought a pub for 2.2 million and on Friday we open our very own bar for the 1st time vs Bohs....oh how times change.

Or in football ...its all swings and roundabouts.

kdjac

A little history lesson for you.

Towards the end of that season (after the FAI/EL had broken their own rules in not penalising pats), Shels were playing Rovers in a league game. Rovers were renting Richmond from pats. Rovers needed money. Rovers were heading for Intertoto, but if justice was done and pats penalised, Rovers were heading for the more lucrative UEFA Cup.

There was a bloke on the Rovers board who had been involved in St Francis earlier in the season when they merged with pats who knew that pats had played more then one player illegally.

Then as if by magic Ollie knows that pats have been totally caught out, and lo and behold Rovers are playing the rest of the season in Tolka rent-free.

Umm they did penalise us twice .... both overturned on appeal, it was Ollie in court that lost us the points.

:confused:

What league/country/year are you on about?

We were deducted points and they were reinstated, it cost ollie 40 grand to get the points decision unappealed. Ollie found out tru the FAI. It had nothing to do with Rovers.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Zebra3 wrote:

:

Its written in stone that Clonliffe Harriers remain tennants, otherwise you would be doing everything to steal their land.

• Advertisement

bohsman wrote:
    Its written in stone that Clonliffe Harriers remain tennants, otherwise you would be doing everything to steal their land.

Well done genius.

How is it their land if they are tenants? :rolleyes:

Zebra3 wrote:
    Well done genius.

They sold/gave it to Fingal County on the basis that they remain life long tenants and Fingal pay for the upkeep, which Clonliffe couldnt afford, who is paying for the flood lights?

kdjac

Zebra3 wrote:
    Well done genius.

It was their land, they sold it to the council but it is written in stone that they cant be evicted and the running track must stay. If Oily can find any way around it he will get them out.

KdjaC wrote:
    Umm they did penalise us twice .... both overturned on appeal, it was Ollie in court that lost us the points.

:confused:

What league/country/year are you on about?

We were deducted points and they were reinstated, it cost ollie 40 grand to get the points decision unappealed. Ollie found out tru the FAI. It had nothing to do with Rovers.

kdjac

You know quite well I'm on about the LoI 2001/02 season. Dolan/pats thought they had a chance to shaft Francis and nick their land and it all came back to haunt them when a Francis offical left pats/Francis and went to Rovers knowing that there was a second player played illegally.

Ollie didn't find out from the FAI because Brendan Menton was running the show there at the time and he hates Ollie.

bohsman wrote:
    It was their land, they sold it to the council

So.......it's not their land?

"Saint Patricks Athletic amalgemating Saint Francis" I believe was the official name for a year or two.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote:
    You know quite well I'm on about the LoI 2001/02 season. Dolan/pats thought they had a chance to shaft Francis and nick their land and it all came back to haunt them when a Francis offical left pats/Francis and went to Rovers knowing that there was a second player played illegally.

Ollie didn't find out from the FAI because Brendan Menton was running the show there at the time and he hates Ollie.

Seriously the land was never going to be ours, do you know how much it was worth then and jesus quadruple that now.

The Francis chairman still owns that land and always will until he sells it or whatever, but we have no claim to or ever got remotley close to a claim to it. We trained there for a while but that was it. And it wasnt Menton who told him, had Menton got his way this would never have came out and would never have happened.

Read Mentons book a nice paragraph about the whole incident, the person he refers to as unnamed was Ollie. its the very 1st page i was gutted the only reason i bought the damn book.,

kdjac

bohsman wrote:
    "Saint Patricks Athletic amalgemating Saint Francis" I believe was the official name for a year or two.

With that awful jersey and crest, which are thankfully long gone.

kdjac

Of course the land was never gonna be yours, but Dolan thought there was a chance. Why else merge and change your club's name?

I read Menton's book.

Advertisement