Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living Colour

• 08-07-2006 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭

What do the boards make of this band. Found some old albums I had of them and gave them another listen. Some great songs some absolute messes. Were they a rock band at all? Some incredible musicianship but could they bring it all together?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

What do the boards make of this band. Found some old albums I had of them and gave them another listen. Some great songs some absolute messes. Were they a rock band at all? Some incredible musicianship but could they bring it all together?

remind me again, where they the black americans?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Yep apparantly back together touring. BTW Wil Calhoun (imo) one of the best rock drummers on the planet went on to produce 'Friends'

Your right they did have some cracking tunes, must dig teh vinyls out and dust them off :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I was a big fan of Living Colour.The first two albums "Vivid" and "Times up" are absolute classics.

"Vivid" is the more instantly accessable,"Times Up" has a darker feel to it but has some brilliant songs on it.They were (and still are) most definitely a rock band.

It went a bit downhill after the first two albums and even though they are still around today it just aint the same.I have all their official releases with the most recent being a DVD-Audio release entitled "Collideoscope" but its really the first two albums where its at.

People who arent familiar with them might remember the only real minor hit they had,a remix of "Love Rears Its Ugly Head".

If anyones going to have a listen to them then start with "Vivid" and then get "Times Up".I cant recommend them highly enough.

adox wrote:
    I was a big fan of Living Colour.The first two albums "Vivid" and "Times up" are absolute classics.

"Vivid" is the more instantly accessable,"Times Up" has a darker feel to it but has some brilliant songs on it.They were (and still are) most definitely a rock band.

It went a bit downhill after the first two albums and even though they are still around today it just aint the same.I have all their official releases with the most recent being a DVD-Audio release entitled "Collideoscope" but its really the first two albums where its at.

People who arent familiar with them might remember the only real minor hit they had,a remix of "Love Rears Its Ugly Head".

If anyones going to have a listen to them then start with "Vivid" and then get "Times Up".I cant recommend them highly enough.

Just got me copy of Vivid out of the cupboard, yay.

• Advertisement

Forgot to say they do a rather fantastic cover of AC/DCs "Back In Black" too.

TheGooner wrote:
    Just got me copy of Vivid out of the cupboard, yay.

:D

I have the first two on vinyl and cd,but it will have to be cd for me as I dont have a deck anymore.:(

LMFAO was staring at the record player going...um....play like? LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have Vivid on LP as well, must have sold more copies here than I imagined!

I don't have a turntable either :(

Mike.

You can come over and help me with mine so! :confused: LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

adox wrote:

Yep, that would be me. Although it was a pretty big hit from what I remember ('91/'92 or thereabouts?) And what a song! Fabulous! Gorgeous melody and funky as well as rockin'! Didn't know that was a remix. The original must be stunning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I think I like this band inversely to everyone else :D I liked Cult Of Personality when it came out but Vivid was patchy at best. TBH the first couple of albums never really did anything for me, I think Stain, the third album, is a work of genius though. It's what I always hoped they would sound like. When Doug Wimbish joined on bass they seemed to lose a lot of the cheese which made the first couple of albums unlistenable in parts. They always had political overtones in the lyrics but now they had a real hard edge musically to back up the sentiment. It was imaginative and aggressive, but not in a cringeworthy or pointlessly violent way. It's still one of my favourite albums ever. Collideoscope was a bit of a disappointment too :(

Advertisement