Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISP's snooping ?

• 08-07-2006 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

A question for all 'tech savy' guys. How much snooping do you think the ISP's carry out on their customers. ? Also how much is possible, and how much is practicable. ? As an example: If you complain to your ISP that your BB speed is very bad, and they go to check it out, how much of your 'activity' can they actually see ? If this question has already been posted somewhere else maybe somebody could 're-direct' ? I am not personally not worried as I do not get up to 'much' :) on the internet, but maybe some others do ?? :D

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd imagine they can see how much traffic is up/down very easily but without actually actively logging everything I doubt they can actually see what your download/viewing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Realistically, they wouldn't bother for the most part. If they wanted to, they could see absolutely everything unencrypted. I'd say the only thing that would get an ISP to spend the time and money necessary to snoop on their customers would be a government/police mandate of some sort.

Although, if they have gone to the trouble of setting up bandwidth shaping, then they could probably easily add on some logging to get statistics on the type of traffic that's going through anyone's connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Trumps

Sico wrote:
    Realistically, they wouldn't bother for the most part. If they wanted to, they could see absolutely everything unencrypted. I'd say the only thing that would get an ISP to spend the time and money necessary to snoop on their customers would be a government/police mandate of some sort.

Although, if they have gone to the trouble of setting up bandwidth shaping, then they could probably easily add on some logging to get statistics on the type of traffic that's going through anyone's connection.

I read a report somewhere, I think maybe on our good friend the Net, that ISP's had been told to log and/or set up filters for this Child protection thing. ? I will try to find the actual URL if I can. surely any filter set up, unless it has very specific filter words, will mean that traffic is being watched, to a certain extent. ? I think many of us - a large % - actually complain to our ISP about very bad BB speeds, so that mneans, does it not, that each complaint will necessitate the checking of a persons Line stat's. ? I think this matter of 'privacy' on the internet, from what I read, is being seriously undermined. ?
    It would be very interesting to have the views of someone actually employed with an ISP to find out the machinery in use, and who is watching what ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

All traffic data is logged by Irish ISPs.

http://www.google.ie/search?q=data+retention+ireland

adam

In spite of the Commissioners protest, in April 2002 the Minister for Public Enterprise issued directions to telcos to keep detailed, non-anonymous traffic data for a three-year period. Without any public debate government went on to prepare official legislation, Meade stated, including mandatory data-retention for internet providers. Details are not yet known, but legislation could oblige providers to keep track of the destination, origin, timing, size and itinerary of every e-mail, as well as the locations of every website visited by every customer.
    http://www.edri.org/edrigram/number3/retention
    The Irish scandal comes at a time of relative quiet about a possible European decision about mandatory data retention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Headless proxys for the win eh ;)

The Directive mandates that EU member states, including Ireland, are to track the location of all mobile phones, all calls made from land lines and mobile phones, as well as all information on individuals’ internet and email usage. This will include keeping records of all web sites visited, the senders and recipients of all emails and the use of any other Internet Protocol (IP) based communication such as the increasingly popular Voice over IP (VoIP) phone providers such as Skype.
    This is deadly serious stuff. ! Anonymous proxy, here we come. ?
    Why is everybody on Boards, in fact everybody with an internet connection, or mobile phones, landlines, which of course means almost everybody in the Country, not complaining and lobbying .?
    This is now surely 'big brother' with a vengeance. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

these might :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

B0rken link.

http://home.hiwaay.net/%7Epspoole/echelon.html

Plus of course there's the secret rooms installed on AT&T's premises that hoover a huge majority of US traffic - including transatlantic traffic - into the NSA. (That would be the NSA that's not supposed to spy on domestic traffic.) This monitoring was suggested by the NSA seven months before 9/11. That would be less than a month into Bush's first term as POTUS.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

You’re all paranoid. Nothing like this happens in Ireland. Banish the thought completely from your mind! Particularly if you are a journo or otherwise involved in the media, a mover and shaker in business or politics, or someone who is critical of those nice people who provide telecommunications services. Your websurfing and e-mails are totally safe, secure and private in Ireland. The country is a republic and has a vigilant data privacy agency.

Mod – time this thread was closed!

probe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

probe wrote:
    The country is a republic and has a vigilant data privacy agency.
    Right you've obviously never heard of the time the Irish Times editor was bugged and the big court case after it. And the certain dead Taoiseach who authorised it.And what privacy agency is that you're on about???

Judges have told me their phone lines are bugged "more often than not".

This stuff does go on. The cops do it, the IRA do it. They've moved to the internet now and email snooping.

EDIT: all members of the ISP Association of Ireland have signed a document saying they'll turn over stuff to the cops, no court case needed. All they need is ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 dyslexixboy

probe wrote:
    You’re all paranoid. Nothing like this happens in Ireland. Banish the thought completely from your mind! Particularly if you are a journo or otherwise involved in the media, a mover and shaker in business or politics, or someone who is critical of those nice people who provide telecommunications services. Your websurfing and e-mails are totally safe, secure and private in Ireland. The country is a republic and has a vigilant data privacy agency.

probe
    You sure you dont work for the government? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭themonk

EDIT: all members of the ISP Association of Ireland have signed a document saying they'll turn over stuff to the cops, no court case needed. All they need is ask.

does that mean people using file sharing software are liable to legal evidence base on isp record ..... and could somebody in court dispute the data .....
    ( especially any microsoft logs given it record for faulty software )
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

themonk wrote:
    does that mean people using file sharing software are liable to legal evidence base on isp record ..... and could somebody in court dispute the data .....
    ( especially any microsoft logs given it record for faulty software )
    :confused:
    No I don't think that actually would hold up in court. If you think back to Operation Amethest(?) i think it was called, where the FBI gave the irish cops a list of people who's credit cards were used on dodgy websites.. they had to raid their houses and look at what was on the computers. They couldn't just go on the logs of the website either.For evidence in the court.

But they do have the ability to intercept what you post to websites & read emails. Just not necessarily act legally on it in a court. Until they raid your house.

People using encrypted protocols on BitTorrent should be grand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

imo encryption should be the norm, not the exception. If anyone (not just the govt) could listen in on you phone calls you'd think twice about using it freely. Email is very easily intercepted by anyone, it was designed to be used in a "trusted" system which the internet is not. http://www.gpg4win.org/ provide a cool PGP alternative well worth looking at.

BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE
    Hash: SHA1

http://www.gpg4win.org/
    BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.3 (MingW32) - WinPT 0.12.1

iD8DBQFEsgTZ5SRGIEX5dw0RAtEeAKDUaseMR8+EbdjCe1XmJ1LNvvfSygCgjaqm
    82xDx5dqCmgyH5mzqoeu1iI=
    =7tws
    END PGP SIGNATURE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

esskay wrote:
    Email is very easily intercepted by anyone,
    Email is not "easily intercepted by anyone". You, for instance, can't easily intercept my e-mail, unless you happen to work as an administrator for my ISP.

probe wrote:

probe
    Are you joking ? This is really serious stuff about our Privacy. ! "1984 - Big Brother" ? Do you not cherish your privacy. ? I cant believe you wrote that about Ireland, knowing that legislation was passed through the back door already ?
    As for 'encription' posted elsewhere it would be nice to use it except that I cannot see Mr 'Average Joe' going to all that trouble and the people receiving his mail would also have to 'un-encript' the mail. Too much trouble, and those that implement these laws know that too !
    Why close the thread ? Surely this is what 'boards' is all about ? Being kept informed, passing information, helping ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

That said, IMO encrypting your emails etc is like waving a red flag at the moment. Unless everyone is doing it, you stand out like a sore thumb and it begs the question, whats user X doing that he feels the need to encrypt his emails. (I appreciate you have a God given right to encrypt your emails if you feel the need, but if I were a LEO looking logs and data and saw lots of encrypted emails, my curiosity would be aroused and I'd be keeping a closer eye on that individual)

John

EDIT err lost track of which forum I was in :)

Advertisement