Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If I'm buying a phone now, how important is it to go 3G?

• 08-07-2006 1:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭

I'm basically researching phones to buy at the moment, and I'm not really sure if I should be looking towards a 3G phone or not. I'm your average phone user, mostly texting, go through about €25 credit a month. I'm definitely looking for a decent camera in the phone. The Nokia 6280 from Three seems to nearly suit me (except I really really want a clamshell phone), but there's a few other phones I like that aren't 3G, and I'm wondering if I should be buying a 3G phone or not

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

To be honest no, from what you said you do with the phone you don't need 3G. Yes 3G allows you make video calls, download TV shows or video clips but you didn't say you wanted to be able to do all that.

O2 have jsut brought out the K750i on prepay, I think it's 200, with the usual load of credit so it'll be cheaper than a 3g phone.

No doubt someone is gonna post here in a few minutes telling me I know nothing and 3G is teh way forward, the dog's dangley bits, the best thing since the sliced pan and all that, but at the end of teh day, it won't improve your text's, calls or general expereince.

Best thing to do is pick out a few phones and ask yourself will I really use those features (realistically).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I dont think its that important to go with 3G either and agree with what gillo said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i was in a o2 shop today (henry street) and was looking at the k750i, apparently according to the information on the board beside the phone it's only available for speakeasy upgrade.

all in all though it's one damn sweet phone and i've had the pleasure of owning one for 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Yeh I was thinking that myself. But what if in a year or so it becomes more necessary and useful to have?

If I'm not going 3G either a Samsung or the Nokia 6131 could be my choice. There's no clamshell phone with a good camera out there though, without paying about €400

Yeh. I think I'm pretty much set on a Nokia 6131 after researching & reading reviews. Beautiful little phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

God whats the big deal about buying a phone. I just bought a phone motorola v3x and didn't give two sh*ts if it was 3G or not.
    If you want a phone to make video calls with someone else then get it. If not then you don't really need it.
    O and if you want it for watching tv then forget it. It's crap and too small of picture, even with full screen on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Video calling will not take off either, it has peaked IMHO. How many other things are you doing while on the phone.
    Do you really feel the need to be standing in front of a phone while talking.
    Nonsense...........
    Super phone i think is the Sony Ericcson w800i if you can get one!!

Well basically I've come to my decision: feck the 3G, I'm going for the Nokia 6131. Just have to find €250 odd. There's nothing I can see on 3G that is anything more than a novelty with a short life

Advertisement