Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you get pregnant from...?

• 08-07-2006 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi all, I'm very cautious and careful when it comes to safe sex, but there are some things that my boyfriend and I do that concern me, mainly about when I give him head and he eats me out, usually I do not let him come in my mouth but prefer to finish him off by having sex (and we always use condoms) but sometimes I do get a small bit of pre-come in my mouth. A while later I kiss him and then he sometimes goes down on me after that, so I'm woindering is there any chance his semen could have come in contact with my vagina? I'm absolutely terrified of getting pregnant and want to minimize the risk as much as I can, so could I get pregnant from this or will him semen be long gone from both our mouths due to saliva etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

While highly unlikely it is still with in the realms of possibility esp if condoms are the main type of contraception you are using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Probably no, but possibly yes, and you'd have to be pretty damn unlucky though. You say you're asolutely terrified of getting pregnant, and if thats the case condoms alone are not enough, I'd supplement them with another form of contraception as nothing is 100% foolproof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

personally, i'd say there is more chance of something like a condom bursting or slipping off than this happening. very, very unlikely i'd wager.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

once cum comes in contact with air its dead.. so its not possible!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Lenny wrote:

What ???

Air does not kill sperm. If it is dry it is dead.

Sperm can live for 3-4 days in moist enviroments.

• Advertisement

Lenny wrote:

Really then sperm donation and ivf would not be possible.

How long can sperm live outside the body?

A:
    If kept warm at body temperature (like on the skin or in a warm test tube), sperm remain motile for several hours.

Inside the female reproductive tract, they can live for up to 7 days. Sperm are very sensitive to temperature and moisture and will eventually die outside the body, but since each ejaculate may contain as many as 750 million sperm, and it only takes one sperm to result in pregnancy, precautions are essential. Ejaculation anywhere near the vagina, without condom use, should be a reason to consider emergency contraception.

It is completely possible for sperm which is in the mouth of a person which is warm enough and moist enough to remain viaible for quiet some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Oh...that's really not good =/ The last time I had sex was yesterday...should I do something? :confused:

No there is no need, as said, it's highly improbable so don't go freaking yourself out about it...the chances are seriously minimal to slim! As said earlier though, if the prosect of getting pregnant completely freaks you out I don't think condoms are enough, too much can go wrong with them imo

If you are worried there is a chance you may be pregant then make an appointment with your dr or the ifpa or the well womans centre and see about getting Emergency Contraception. Emergency contraception can be effect up to 72 hours after sex.

http://www.wellwomancentre.ie/
    http://www.ifpa.ie/index.php

Why not ring the National Pregnancy Help line Tel: 1850 49 50 51

Maybe consider a form of contracption for yourself there are many types.
    http://www.ifpa.ie/contraception/index.html
    http://thinkcontraception.ie/

I would prefer to go on the pill too, but I'm under 17 so I don't think I can get it unless it's for a skin condition and my skin's fine so at the moment condoms are the best I can do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

OP,I really wouldn't worry that much.

It's highly,highly unlikely.

I wouldn't go getting the morning after pill or anything like that.

eek if you are going to have sex you have to get yourself some better contraception, go talk to either of the centres or to the dr.

Thanks for the advice everyone, it's quite consoling, I was panicking there for a moment :)

As far as I know I'm too young to go on the pill, so the best form of contraception I can do is Condoms, I'll be going on the pill as soon as I can though :)

eek wrote:
    I would prefer to go on the pill too, but I'm under 17 so I don't think I can get it unless it's for a skin condition and my skin's fine so at the moment condoms are the best I can do.

If you are going to be having regular sex it's better to be responsible. Go and talk to one of the Clinics listed in Thaedydal's post and they will be able to recommend extra precautions you can take. Many clinics WILL prescribe the pill if you are going to be having regular sex, regardless of age.

not regardless of age they will not perscripe it to a 14 year old who is having sex.

eek read the link with all the differing types of contracption tere is more then just the oral contraceptive pill.
    Also take some time to read up on all information you can about sex and reproduction if you feel you don't have an adult who can answer your questions.
    http://www.afraidtoask.com/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Echoing what Thaedydal said - the pill is not always the best solution. It brings its own health risks, some of which, in some people, are really quite severe. Explore all options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Wouldn't any sperm need to be inside the vagina for her to get pregnant :confused:

The senario has been descriped by the OP as sperm transfere from penis to females mouth ( via oral sex ) to males mouth ( kissing ) to her vagina ( oral sex ).

This can be considered very risky behavour as it leaves the door open for pregnancy and several stis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

for the love of God :rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Speaking of god, I wonder if this is how the Virgin Mary got pregnant. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Speaking of god, I wonder if this is how the Virgin Mary got pregnant. :p

Jesus had his wicked way no doubt :p:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Eek:
    I wouldn't worry about this right now tbh. Its extremely unlikely that this has happened. Worst thing is to get stressed over it.
    Take a look at some of those links thaed posted and mabye call into one of the clinics/doctors if youre still worried.
    jonny68 wrote:
    Jesus had his wicked way no doubt :p:D:D
    im sorry to troll here, but could you re-read that post and have a logical think about it?

metrovelvet and Jonny68, unhelpful and off-topic posting will get you banned from this forum.
    Do take time to read the charter which contains the rules and abide by them.
    Have a nice day.
    Thaedydal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

LadyJ wrote:
    OP,I really wouldn't worry that much.

It's highly,highly unlikely.

I wouldn't go getting the morning after pill or anything like that.

You only have to be 16 to consent to your own medical treatment. I'm pretty sure you can get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

Tell the doctor you have really bad period pain and he/she should have no problem putting you on the pill. There shouldn't be an issue anyway at 17.

Indeed, I had no issues with getting prescriptions at 17.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The OP said she's under 17, so she could possibly be as young as 13 (:eek: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

You only have to be 16 to consent to your own medical treatment. I'm pretty sure you can get it.

This is true.

My point was just that I don't think there is any need for her to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GAA widow

Chief--- wrote:
    What ???

Air does not kill sperm. If it is dry it is dead.

Sperm can live for 3-4 days in moist enviroments.

So you've as much chance of becoming pregnant if you came into contact with it on a toilet seat.

• Advertisement

I would consider going on the pill if you are this worried, it will stop you from worrying this much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Remember, it is illegal to have sex while under the age of 17.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GAA widow

eek wrote:

:eek: You should have a chat with your GP.

GAA widow wrote:
    :eek: You should have a chat with your GP.

I'm under 17, under 16 too, so there isn't that confidentiality, my GP has every right to tell my parents so going to her isn't really an option. Also at €45 for a consultation fee I couldn't afford to see a GP or to go on the pill, even emergency contraceptive is about €50.00. I have has problems with ovarian cysts before which required (very minor) surgery, so I may use that as an excuse to go on the pill, seeing as the combined pill can ease the problem of ovarian cysts.

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice.

testicle: I am fully aware of the age of consent. I sincerely doubt I'm going to be stopped and IDed by police while I'm having sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 vonnyob

Hi Eek,

just a quick note...

I went on the pill when I was 15, I went to my doctor, who was good friends with my father and explained to him that I was with my boyfriend for a good while and we were ready to have sex, I was very mature about this and you seem like you are very mature for your age so you should do same.
    I more or less told the doctor that I was going to have sex regardless if he gave me the pill or not, he did give it to me, with near to no questions (just the usual about the legal age etc) I also asked him not to discuss anything with parents and his reply was. "my dear I would prefer to give you the pill and keep it quiet than to have to call your parents in here and tell them your pregnant!!!"

So save up eek, and go to the doctors, also the pill costs about 20 for about 6 months (thats the one im on) so its not too bad.

Please keep using condoms aswell!!!

and to solve your problem about sperm going in after you "give him head"
    JUST DONT KISS HIM AFTER!!! let him go down on you and then you can kiss all you want!!!

Advertisement