Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamp out Racism

Options
  • 08-07-2006 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭

I'm appalled at the repeated references seeking advice/quotes for 'Polish' 'East European' 'Latvian' which feature on the boards. Some of the post contributors are INMHO blatant racists for referring to peoples country of origin as a potential source for cheap labour etc. I've worked with many people from several countries and INMHO few will match East Europeans for work ethic. They are predominantly well educated and very polite and deserve much more respect than is afforded by many Irish.

Notwithstanding the fact that the new imigrants can sometimes in desperation to find work are prepared to do work which many Irish will no longer consider and/or for much better rates. Nonetheless competitiveness should not be confused with manipulative efforts to exploit others. It happens so frequently it is shameful . Ignorant racist Irish and there seems to be many out there.

Why are posters allowed to post threads blatantly exploiting this unseemly aspect to Ireland today seeking comparative quotes from nixers, average companies and East Europeans? We wouldn't allow people abroad to seek 'Paddy Quotes' so why do we allow it here?

I hope one day, the authorities make an example of these racist posters!! There's nothing that works faster on the micks than a good slap where it hurts!!

Respect is frequently earned but should not be undermined. Shame on us all and help stamp out racism!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

:rolleyes:

Racism?

Hardly...

It's simply reflective of the much better standard of work most of these people are getting a reputation for along with the value they bring. It's a long way from 'cheap labour' but shows up the rip off we've been subjected to for years from the 'Paddy Quotes' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

There's nothing that works faster on the micks than a good slap where it hurts!!

Pot, Kettle, Black,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

[/B]

Pot, Kettle, Black,

It's a pity you cannot contribute constructively to the debate. Feel free to express an opinion, thats the great aspect here, the diversity of the many posters and views. Your post rings hollow like your sig:

The Irish Gardener-offers you free access to an incredible wealth of Irish horticultural information.
    We have 18 registered users
    The newest registered user is
    In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 1 Hidden and 1 Guest [ Administrator ] [ Moderator ]
    Most users ever online was 5 on Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:30 am

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Baby steps, Sonnenblumen.
    Consider this mick well and truly slapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭Archeron

Me:
    I would like to have my garden landscaped, with a pond and have all the old trees cut down and removed. HOw much?

Irish Person:
    Well, that will at least a weeks work, plus expenses. Ooh, you're looking at 4 thousand minimum.

Other (eastern european??) person.
    Well, unlike some rip off merchant irish people, we are used to hard work, and we can do it in half the time for half the price, because we just work hard, and we provide good value and wont sit around drinking tea.

Me.
    Well, thank you Mr non-Irish person. Thats a good price, but I'd better hire the Irish person, because if I hire you, I am for some inexplicable reason a racist.

yes, this makes perfect sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Do you hire a Bona Fide professional or a cheap imigrant? Competition helps Vendors but nothing helps more than when Customers suffer shoddy nixer work no matter who is responsible.

Standards should apply, and price competitiveness is a consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Not long ago ,I used to dream about going to america and working illegally and living in a country that was a dream . I didn't afterall and never will thank god.

I still look up to all them people who went to america years ago and worked as immigrants ,just like everyone else from everywhere else does now.

It a global economy for a reason ,it's global ,everyone gets their turn eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭Archeron

Do you hire a Bona Fide professional or a cheap imigrant? Competition helps Vendors but nothing helps more than when Customers suffer shoddy nixer work no matter who is responsible.

Standards should apply, and price competitiveness is a consideration.

How about a bona fide professional who is an immigrant willing to work for more competitive rates? Just because these people are immigrants doesnt mean they are not as or more skilled and educated than their Irish counterparts.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Sonnenblumen, we live in a free and open market as a member of the EU so get over it. People can employ who they like once that person is legally allowed to work here, and discussing workers from certain countries is imho not racist.

Keep the politics elsewhere, this forum is for discussing gardening and DIY topics.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement