Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry to Stranorlar to Claudy

Options
  • 08-07-2006 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Howya lads,

Flying into Derry at end of July, travelling down to Ballybofey then going to a wedding in Craigbane (near Claudy i think). Getting digs in Stranorlar (Ballybofey all booked up). Then a few days in Blacklion (Cavan) before returning to Derry airport.

1. How far is Stranorlar to Ballybofey (5 mins walk) ?

2. Anybody know where Craigbane is (cannot find it on map) / directions from Ballybofey and estimated journey time.

3. Any tips on driving through Derry City (busy times to avoid etc). Best route from Ballybofey to Blacklion (via Donegal town or Omagh)

Cheers all
    Frank

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Is the wedding in Claudy or Clady becuse they are in different counties. I havent come accross Craigbane before.

Stranorlar to Ballybofey is a 5 - 10 min. walk depending on what part of Stranorlar you will be.

Traffic in derry is never too bad and I think if you are coming from the airport you should miss a good part of it but if Smashey sees this post he will know better as he is in Derry on a regular basis.

Ballybofey to Blacklion - possibly through Omagh or maybe Castlederg. I'll check that out and post back or most likely someone else here will advise of the best route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Ballydung

Hi muffler,

Its in Claudy Derry. I think Craigbane maybe a townland name in the Claudy area (the church is called St Josephs).

Many Thanks

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

0.00 Start out at Ballybofey,Donegal N15 0.00
    15.98 At roundabout take the 1st exit onto the N15 (signposted Sligo) N15 15.98
    3.07 Continue forward onto the N15. Entering Laghy N15 19.04
    3.24 Continue forward onto the N15. Entering Ballintra N15 22.28
    6.72 Continue forward onto the N15. Entering Ballyshannon N15 29.01
    0.64 At roundabout take the 1st exit onto the N3 (signposted Enniskillen) N3 29.64
    4.21 At border with Northern Ireland continue forward onto the A46 A46 33.85
    0.05 Turn right onto the B52 (signposted Garrison) B52 33.90
    4.43 Continue forward onto the B52. Entering Garrison B52 38.33
    0.42 Turn left onto the B52 (signposted Belcoo) B52 38.75
    12.62 Continue forward onto Railway Street - B52. Entering Belcoo B52 51.37
    0.30 Turn right onto the A4 (signposted Sligo) A4 51.67
    0.18 At border with Republic of Ireland continue forward onto the N16 N16 51.86
    0.28 Arrive at Blacklion,Cavan N16 52.14
    - Section time 1:21, Total time 1:21
    http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes/

The following link may be of help explaining Craigbane.
    http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/IRL-TOMBSTONE-INSCRIPTIONS/2006-04/1145155438

Hopefully this works. Heres a link to an online map. If the map appears at the same resolution as I viewed it you will see the airport at top centre nesr Loughy Foyle. derry is over left (to west) and if you look down to bottom left (south west ) you will see Ballybofey and Stranorlar. Claudy is located straight down the map below the airport. Actually it is only a few miles from the airport

Bytes info is very useful and if you combine it with the map. St, josephs is in a small place called Park which you will see is just south west of Claudy

• Advertisement

Cheers Byte & Muffler

Top work, many thanks for your quick replies.

Think i will take the Donegal town route down to Blacklion, it looks a bit more scenic also.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

No problems. Hope you enjoy your time over here.

A report back on your experiences here (good or bad) would be great!

Howya lads,

Back safe and sound, had a great time up in Gods country. Your info was dead on and with your help found Craigbane no probs (its known as an area around Park/Claudy, very hilly).
    If anybody is looking for digs in Stranorlar, then I can fully recommend 'Stranorlar Country House', the hosts 'Paddy and Evelynn' are great people and top craic.
    I visit family in Blacklion area a lot, and am going over again in a few weeks (lucky me), enjoyed Stranorlar/Ballybofey a lot and will defo be going back.

Cheers lads

Delighted to hear you enjoyed the stay. Must have been good if you're coming back for more ;)

Out of curiousity, is Stranorlar Country House in Woodlawn by any chance? Im just going by the names and if its the same couple as I know then they would be great hosts

Howya,

Stranorlar Country House is on the way out of town on the Derry/Letterkenny road (just past garage and near a toyland shop).

Top digs

• Advertisement
Advertisement