Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodpecker / Gerkros Boiler Dimensions

Options
  • 08-07-2006 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hi i've just had a look at the Gerkros Boiler dimensions online has anyone
    installed this boiler.

The website suggests 2150mm X 1500mm just wondering if this area is
    too tight? anyone have practical experience with the system before i start to build my garage?

thanks in advance

a pint of plain is yer only man

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

De_man wrote:
    Hi i've just had a look at the Gerkros Boiler dimensions online has anyone
    installed this boiler.

The website suggests 2150mm X 1500mm just wondering if this area is
    too tight? anyone have practical experience with the system before i start to build my garage?

thanks in advance

To be honest, I find Gerkros boilers a bit agricultural. I prefer Grant, Firebird and Warmflow. Maybe it is because Gerkros don't seem to use the Riello burners, which I really love.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

Thanks jim, i'll have a look a those, i'll change the dimensions of the
    back room of the garage to hold the burner.. i reckon i'll have plenty
    of room with 3 X 4Mtrs that'll give me enough room to hold the pellets
    in a decent sized hopper as well

thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

De_man wrote:
    Thanks jim, i'll have a look a those, i'll change the dimensions of the
    back room of the garage to hold the burner.. i reckon i'll have plenty
    of room with 3 X 4Mtrs that'll give me enough room to hold the pellets
    in a decent sized hopper as well

thanks for the info

I am afraid that I was thinking oil boiler :o I don't think that the others do a wood pellet boiler.
    Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

I am looking at putting in an Opop wood pellet boiler which has better efficiency and a smaller foorprint.

Lastbuilders

lastbuilders

thanks for the info i had a look at the opop boiler on www.kbf.ie/nordic.opop.htm very interesting which other ones did you
    consider?

i've a bit to go yet before i start installing the boiler but i'd like to
    get it organised

• Advertisement

I looked at the Gerkros and got quotes and specifications from a lot of other suppliers and decided that the Opop was the best fit for my needs. I am putting a lot of extra expense into insulation, vapour barrier and a HRV system as these are things that are within or behind the walls and would be hard to change later. With the boiler I could not see a viable return from putting in a boiler that would be maybe twice the price of the Opop because it is a bit more efficient or does not need to be emptied as often or has a few more features especially as the HRV system and insulation should mean that my pellet use rate should be quite low. The other reason I went for the Opop is that it has a two year warranty whereas the Gerkros has 1 year warranty AFAIK.

I do not have it installed yet but I am going to see an installed one over the next few weeks.

Lastbuilders

hi lastbuilder

i had a look at the system and i think you're right, only thing is the huge
    difference in price between the 30KW and 40KW, my place will be a bit over 3500 eventhough the 30KW is recommended, i did the calculations and i reckon the 40KW would be a better job. i must re-do my calculations again
    hopefully i'll get away with the 30KW:D
    (i've a lot of windows)

afraid i don't know much about the HRV system i know the basics
    but that's about it afraid my knowledge is limited to electrics and blocklaying:D which system are you going for?

tks

I put in a HRV system from proair in galway (proair.ie). It basically extracts and supplies air to the house by means of a motor in the attic. It extracts from areas like kitchen, bathrooms, hotpress and supplies to all others like bedrooms etc. The air that is extracted is "warm" as it has been heated by radiators, showers, cylinder and this passes close to the fresh air that is supplied to the house thus warming it. This means that it will not need to be heated again and therfore is more efficient. I need it in my house becase I am trying to get the house as airtight as possible so no vents in windows or walls but it is meant to be good in any house.

Lastbuilders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭RedLady

Hi Lastbuilders,

How did you find Proair? We are thinking of using their system.

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

De man,

How much does the gerkros 30kw and 40kw cost typically (after the grant has been subtraced) ?? Are there any guidelines as to how to decide which one is best suited to different house sizes??

Paul

• Advertisement

Redlady,

I found them very efficient. The pipework has been installed and wiring done. It has to be commissioned and some connections finished in the attic but so far so good. I went to see a system that had been completed by them b4 I went with them and the clients were happy with them too.

Salmon - your plumber should be able to tell you what size is required. There are also companies that can do an analysis of your houese taking into account the type of insulation you have etc.

Lastbuilders

hi salmon (paul)

i had a look at www.kbf.ie/nordic.opop.htm they are quoting 5155 inc vat for 24KW up to 3000sq ft, 5495inc vat for 30KW, they reckon the 30KW is okay for upto 4000sq ft. all these models are eligible for the sei grant so deduct 4200 to get the net figure that you pay.

i've still a bit to go before i place an order as i'm just in the middle of
    the foundations (nearly out of the ground). let me find the information
    for calculation the required boiler size, it's somewhere here on the pc.

When i calculated for my place i reckoned i needed 57KW to do my place
    but i must say i did use caution and overestimated in a few places as a friend who completed in the last year underestimated his required boiler size and now reckons he may have to change and upgrade

i'll put the info on this thread as soon as i can

hi salmon

to calculate the required boiler for your home use the following link
    and follow the steps

www.deals4homes.co.uk/diyprojects/centralheating.htm

for the windows use a U value of .22 it doesn't make a huge difference
    to the final calculations, it does take quite a while though to do the calculations :D

Advertisement