Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7/m7

Options
  • 08-07-2006 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Who agrees that N7 Nenagh Limerick should be at least given motorway status, as it was first proposed before the NDP to have a dream plan "M7" at this side of the country. Cork and Belfast have Motorway sections and plus given the fact their roads to the capital will now be finished what is the Limerick politicians doing about this. It's hurting businesses in Limerick I would reckon. The Nenagh to Limerick road now cannot cope with the current route, I have stressed this on other forums, but I'm not getting much feedback or support. I have written TO THE NRA about, but they are mindless money cheats.:mad: ......

Traffic is already approaching average 15,000 A.A.D.T
    there is hugh population surges in the towns of Nenagh, Ballina/killaloe,Newport and Birdhill and is higher than the national average.

The train service between Nenagh and limerick is overlooked.

Accidents are rising and are above the average on national routes. Tipp fm annonced early in the week that they were 3 road crashes on the N7 at Ballywilliam at the same place. Every year there are reports of crashes here some fatal. sadly the NRA is dismissing the importance of the new road.

So it's manslaugher it is. The NRA serioulsy should get it's finger out. Or else therre will be more road deaths at a very busy section of the national primary route.:mad:

Do you think the N7 has been unfairly put on hold compare to the other N routes 17 votes

yes I totally agree, since 2002 not one section has started west of the Leinster region
    0% 0 votes
    Well the portloaise to Dublin has being great progress which is part of the N7
    64% 11 votes
    Nope other N routes are more in need of upgrades
    17% 3 votes
    I totally dissagree
    11% 2 votes
    Don't know
    5% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Good point.
    I thought it was to be a motorway but according to this it will be high-quality dual carraigeway
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M7_motorway

This could be a short-sighted measure-can it be upgraded to motorway status at a later date?

Traffic volumes leaving Nenagh are huge and this will increase once the massive development on the west side of the town is completed.

Rail is an underused asset between Nenagh and Limerick. I believe there is a morning service at 7:30am but the bus is probably faster.
    Not many people in Nenagh use the train due to the excellent bus service.

The railway was very closed to being closed a few years ago but it finally has some backing. Of course our local TD's claim all the credit and they had nothing to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I also think if this was in the Commuting forum, it would get a lot more attention

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

It is of interest to Limerick people therefore i see no need to move it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Spengman

Yes the limerick to nenagh route was originally planned as a motorway, however about 2/3 years ago it started appearing in council documents as "the n7 limerick- nenagh high quality dual carriageway" There has been no design change or anything, a hqdc is basically a motorway in all but name ie. without the blue signs and restrictions.

A number of objections were lodged by people in the birdhill area, predominantly farmers who would lose some of their land, there was also a pretty ridiculous one about the road indangering a species of butterfly. The downgrading of the road is just a blatant concession to farmers along the route, shameful!

The road is included in the list of 2006 starts, apparently its due to commence in september.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

it acts as a motorway looks like a motorway but its a hugh qulity dual carriageway thats good enough for me but they are still taking there sweet time about it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

:eek:
    1huge1 wrote:
    it acts as a motorway looks like a motorway but its a hugh qulity dual carriageway thats good enough for me but they are still taking there sweet time about it

hence then why not let it be one, especially since it was meant to be one in the first place. It looks cool and it would attract more to Limerick having a blue route on the map! yet not a single section only where the cork route joins with the M7. Anyway the M7 looks like it's part of the now Cork Dublin route. I e I heard that it's proposed that the route numbering will follow this route not Limerick:eek: WTF is going on?

Cork and Belfast sections get M status. Why did the Fermoy section went ahead with M status and the Nenagh section get N.....

N9 has got the Waterford bypass! the Carlow bypass got the go-ahead there a few weeks back...

I did a poll to wake up Wille O dear:mad: useless piece of work...

It's not going to change, but what is the agenda behind the delays and downgrading. The N7 IS one of the most important routes in the country. It has being ignored a lot in the last few years.

The N6 has got a new road to Atlone(which is is half the entire Galway route done)
    N8 has gotten Cork to Fermoy completed, Mitchellstown relief rd and the Cahel bypass completed on top of this by 2009 Cashel to Abbeyleix will be the last section to completed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

well if the M7 Limerick to Nenagh would take as long to complete and be as much of a mess as it is in Kikdare going for Dublin we'd be better off just going through Birdhill Mountrath etc as normal

Hasnt all this M7/N7 nonsence got to do with some local councils using a compulsary purchase order rather than a motorways order to purchase extra land to upgrade the route?

It cannot be designated M unless a motorway order was used. in order to di this the local councils would have to issue a motorways order to itself and then buy the land from itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Hasnt all this M7/N7 nonsence got to do with some local councils using a compulsary purchase order rather than a motorways order to purchase extra land to upgrade the route?

It cannot be designated M unless a motorway order was used. in order to di this the local councils would have to issue a motorways order to itself and then buy the land from itself.
    so you're saying that its the local limerick councils that are not letting it be a motorway? wonder why

1huge1 wrote:
    so you're saying that its the local limerick councils that are not letting it be a motorway? wonder why

I don't think they did it deliberately, I just think they went arse about face with the land acquisition process.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Surely it's another reason why this region needs one overarching authority rather than 4 separate councils running it. I'm not necessarily saying all functions should be given to a larger authority but it's time the 4 regions (east Clare, North Tipp, Limerick City and County) got together and worked together.

This "everyone on their own, isolationist approach" is only hurting the 4 areas involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

i've said this before in the commuters forum, the existing N7 from limerick to nenagh,particulalry the nenagh bypass,is excellent compared to other primary routes into regional cities.though IE should have a lot of pressure to improve the nenagh rail link, maybe instead of continuing that nonsensical ballybrophy link.

dunno what the obsession is with M-status. HQDC is the exact same except there isnt a motorway order involved,its still grade seperated juctions etc. and not a roundabout in sight, its a joke its taken this long, but the entire NDP was due to be finished this year as a whole, now the road building elements have been been shifted into T21 so god no how long it'll take before the the Dublin radial routes will eventually be completed.

as for this:

"N8 has gotten Cork to Fermoy completed, Mitchellstown relief rd and the Cahel bypass completed on top of this by 2009 Cashel to Abbeyleix will be the last section to completed"

they are bypasses,nenagh got its bypass,Fermoy and mitchelstown take equal if not more traffic then nenagh yet only this year will they be bypassed,cork hasnt got it all its own way!!

i've said this before in the commuters forum, the existing N7 from limerick to nenagh,particulalry the nenagh bypass,is excellent compared to other primary routes into regional cities.though IE should have a lot of pressure to improve the nenagh rail link, maybe instead of continuing that nonsensical ballybrophy link.

Okaay.. how often do you use the Ballybrophy line. It is very important line for the whole of the region.... Really it is. Roscrea, Ballybrophy,Cloghjordan, Nenagh, Birdhill, Castleconnell are all deserving of a rail line... Now no ifs or buts. I know countless amount of people who "avoid the Ballybrophy line to go to templemore or Thurles, as the Ballybrophy line is like a train ride from Calcutta... Figures on this line don't justify closure, in fact surveys were done in Nenagh and all the towns, and all the result was if the Ballybrophy line was upgraded then it would actually make people want to use it instead of the car etc..
    dunno what the obsession is with M-status.
    It looks better, and it was meant to be a motorway. It would be nice to see a a blue line road outside of Leinster.. all the more reasons, it even got headlines on the Limerick leader last year.

they are bypasses,nenagh got its bypass,Fermoy and mitchelstown take equal if not more traffic then nenagh yet only this year will they be bypassed,cork hasnt got it all its own way!!

Yes because for ONE simple reason, Nenagh was waiting for a bypass for the last 25 years. Trucks could not turn properly as the N7 through the town was staggered not to mention the N52 merging at this point.
    The Nenagh bypass is outdated, even before it was opened in 1999. Not to mention they took out accesses for the town at the Thurles road. Btw the Mitchellstown section does not take greater amounts of traffic than Nenagh N7. Old counter on the N7 through Nenagh is greater than Kilworth which IS nearer to Fermoy! back in 1999 before the bypass. This explains WHY nenagh bypass was more urgent at the time. Yet the traffic on the Nenagh bypass IS very misleading. Which was explained on the Comuter forum.:)

Anyway, they should of JUST done the M7 and left it as it was when they were going to build it in 2003. The N7 cannot take the traffic there at present.

i've said this before in the commuters forum, the existing N7 from limerick to nenagh,particulalry the nenagh bypass,is excellent compared to other primary routes into regional !

Oh is it.... Let's see if black and white is clear to you make this comparison (before I do, the N7 at Nenagh was over layed last year not all of it is done may I say and is still crappy, narrow and bendy even with a level crossing on it)

Galway- Oranmore DC and bypass Now Loughrea bypass fantastic surfaced road to Aughrim.

Cork - Glanmire, throw in the Cahir bypass? watergrashill? Glanmire DC and bypasses, fantastic stretch of road till Mitchellstown.

Both are approaching the the regional cities.

So.....

Advertisement