Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRA insists Jean McConville was a tout

Options
  • 08-07-2006 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

As you may know The NI Police Ombudsman Nuala O'Loan has been conducting an investigation into claims the late McConville was an imformant for the British Army prior to her abduction and murder in 1972, the conclusion was that she was'nt.

That however is'nt good enough for the Provos who have stated again that she was a tout.

Christ you'd think by now they'd have the wit to let sleeping victims lie. I can't possibly see what they think they can gain by this statement, except perhapes they reckon it somehow makes her murder seem like reasonable action at the time. If they really think that they are still as dulded as ever.

But then I don't vote SF.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Mike I believe that statement is with the elections down here in mind. It won't do SF any favours (ie lose them votes) if their military wing capped an innocent (bar helping a dying British soldier) young mother, so they are using the old Bush mantra of "if you repeat a lie often enough people will believe its the truth".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

It is important that SF/IRA hold the line that nothing they have ever done has been criminal. Once an IRA act is accepted as criminal, the roof falls in because we begin to examine each act and question it. This why Mrs. McConville's name must be blackened (Though I would consider her a hero if she informed on the IRA.) and the murder of Garda McCabe canot be deemed a crime. Our democracy is less secure than many people think. The worst thing that Britain ever did on us was to promote SF/IRA to their present position. We have to endure the election of a convicted gunrunner to the Dail, while poor estates are turned over to para-military justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

The IRA have no word.

Their reckless campaign of murder, torture and criminality has put back the unity of this country.

Ignore their mad rantings.

the murder of a mother of 10 was criminal.

Their continued justification of this is sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 I disagree

The killing of a mother of ten is wrong regardless of whether she was an informer or not. However, the PSNI ombudsman seems to be relying on 'evidence' attained from old RUC and other crown forces files and they are not always regarded as unbiased in some people’s eyes and they may see it as new way of discrediting Sinn Féin. My feeling is that she was innocent and if not still shouldn't have been dealt with in the way she was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Most people don't listen to the IRA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Philistine

NADA wrote:
    Most people don't listen to the IRA

Maybe they don't listen but they are still increasingly voting for SF/IRA

Tony blair, Bertie Ahearn and the bulk of the Irish Media have a lot to answer for. They have made SF/IRA acceptable by ignoring or whitewashing their crimes. A SF politician is allowed to speak on any political issue as if he or she were a normal person with no attachment to or even record of violent crime or connection to a private army of thugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

We don't know for definite if the trend of Sinn Fein support will continue for all we know it could have just been a one-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Nothing surprising there. SFIRA are on record as saying they have the right to murder her and anyone else who they dont like. Its not a crime afterall. Its standard operating procedure for SFIRA to blacken the names of their victims - they become drug dealers or "anti social elements". Id almost think they feel they have to continue lying about McConville to protect their vote, but lets be honest - anyone who would vote for them is hardly concerned SFIRA murdering people.
    Tony blair, Bertie Ahearn and the bulk of the Irish Media have a lot to answer for. They have made SF/IRA acceptable by ignoring or whitewashing their crimes. A SF politician is allowed to speak on any political issue as if he or she were a normal person with no attachment to or even record of violent crime or connection to a private army of thugs.

Tony Blair and the British do not give two craps about what happens in Ireland so long as SFIRA arent causing them trouble. I understand one British civil servant working on the peace process put it that they couldnt give a damn if the whole island was swamped in gansterism and criminality so long as bombs werent going off in London.

As for Bertie? Well, the mans a complete moron and a spineless coward. And thats the positive assessment of a man who was ready to spring garda killers from jail to appease SFIRA, before a practical revolt forced him to do a U turn, similar to his embarrassment at SFIRA revealing their NI reps had been promised speaking rights at the Dail as a secret deal. His entire strategy for the peace process was to give SFIRA absolutely everything up front. Then, later on ask them if they wouldnt mind doing him a small favour here and there - like tell him where all those murdered people were buried, and to stop robbing banks...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

I disagree wrote:
    The killing of a mother of ten is wrong regardless of whether she was an informer or not. However, the PSNI ombudsman seems to be relying on 'evidence' attained from old RUC and other crown forces files and they are not always regarded as unbiased in some people’s eyes and they may see it as new way of discrediting Sinn Féin. My feeling is that she was innocent and if not still shouldn't have been dealt with in the way she was.

Its worth noting among all the ranting that the McConville family asked the IRA to conduct an investigation into the circumstances of her death. It wouldn't have arisen again if they hadn't of asked. It is also known in the area where she comes from that there was a British Army radio transmitter in her house. Horrible things happen in war and this was probably one of the most horrible, but the IRA had to protect their interests at the time.
    I do not think killing her was the right course of action however.

• Advertisement

Jon,
    You've parted company with any sense of morality or decency. There was no war. The IRA should not have existed. Anyone who was ever a member or who supported them should not be entertained in civilised company.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

The reason SF is gaining popularity and seats in the Dail is due to the fact that a large number of people are actually taken in by their political rhetoric. Does anyone actually believe they have a functioning political mandate that would be economically possible? What they do have is a group of pretty talented orators who are happy to slate the current government all the time in an effort to appeal to disillusioned citizens.

What would happen if these charlatans actually gained serious political power is almost too scary to envisage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Be aware of the risen people!!

They are coming for your farm my friend lol

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Jon: engage constructively in the debate or stay out of it, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭my_house

Jon,
    You've parted company with any sense of morality or decency. There was no war. The IRA should not have existed. Anyone who was ever a member or who supported them should not be entertained in civilised company.

Must be pretty cold on top of that high horse there. How anyone can say there was no war is beyond me. Is it wise to pretend that things arent happening in your own country? or .. maybe the 6 counties arent in ireland?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

OK, blanket warning before this goes too much further: no getting personal. Debate the points others are raising without snide digs. Thanks.

my_house wrote:
    Must be pretty cold on top of that high horse there. How anyone can say there was no war is beyond me. Is it wise to pretend that things arent happening in your own country? or .. maybe the 6 counties arent in ireland?
    I think he may have meant a war in the sense of one sanctioned by the people of Ireland.
    The IRA's "war" never was,just like all other crime isnt.

At the height of the troubles most people would have wanted the IRA locked up.

(oh and obey the Oscars warning -no abuse please)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Jon wrote:
    It is also known in the area where she comes from that there was a British Army radio transmitter in her house.
    1. Known to who?
    2. Why would the British give her a radio transmitter to be an informer, didn't they have telephones in 1972?

Earthman wrote:
    I think he may have meant a war in the sense of one sanctioned by the people of Ireland.
    The IRA's "war" never was,just like all other crime isnt.

At the height of the troubles most people would have wanted the IRA locked up.

(oh and obey the Oscars warning -no abuse please)

I will stay out of this as the topic seems to be for SF bashers only, but NO war is ever santioned. To pretend a war is only a war when a government or a people says it is, is pretty pedantic. Iraq, Vietnam and millions of other wars werent santioned by that countrys (whereever the war is) people

and the killing of jean mcconville was wrong as all killings are wrong. It was a long time ago and since none of us know exactly what went on and exactly what the circumstances were, then it cant be argued for or against. these things happen in a war. I sometimes wonder what the point of threads like these are in the first place.

It is also known in the area where she comes from that there was a British Army radio transmitter in her house.

That radio has never been produced. British intelligence in NI never issued radios to their assets. Why should they in small, urban areas where they could easily ring or meet their contacts face to face?

Its a lie produced by SFIRA, eagerly accepted by their fanboys and indeed by a community that has a shared interest in denying that they were party to the murder of an innocent mother of ten and the destruction of her family.
    maybe the 6 counties arent in ireland?

Theyre in the UK according to my version of the map.
    To pretend a war is only a war when a government or a people says it is, is pretty pedantic. Iraq, Vietnam and millions of other wars werent santioned by that countrys (whereever the war is) people

Wars are fought by organisations/armies that adhere to the GC in the planning and execution of their operations. SFIRA never adhered to the GC. They never fought a war. They were simply criminals and terrorists who deliberately murdered people for their own ends. Thats all.
    and the killing of jean mcconville was wrong as all killings are wrong. It was a long time ago and since none of us know exactly what went on and exactly what the circumstances were, then it cant be argued for or against. these things happen in a war. I sometimes wonder what the point of threads like these are in the first place.

So youre over Bloody Sunday then? Sure whose to say if it was right or wrong, these things happen...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

i'm sorry to deflect this thread, but pardon? when have i ever mentioned bloody sunday??
    Wars are fought by organisations/armies that adhere to the GC in the planning and execution of their operations.

eehhh ... no sir. wars are fought by people fighting. there are no rules (in the real world that is). That quoted statement above ranks as one of the most hilarious Ive ever read anywhere. Monty Python are sure to have done a sketch on it
    They were simply criminals and terrorists who deliberately murdered people for their own ends. Thats all.

ah, but you cant, i say CANT, simplify things to that degree as that is being very reckless and unrealistic and undeniably untrue. theres a lot of ye's round here with them high horses.
    Theyre in the UK according to my version of the map.

ah - plain to see where you sit on the debate then. I'd change that map as its obviously not based on geography.

Sand wrote:
    British intelligence in NI never issued radios to their assets.

Im sorry but how can you say that? You have absolutely no way of knowing if they did or not so shouldnt you retract that or give some kind of proof? (though bob knows nothing the british government says about its actions in the north can be trusted).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

my_house wrote:
    I will stay out of this as the topic seems to be for SF bashers only,
    Wrong.
    It's for you aswell,if you want.
    but NO war is ever santioned. To pretend a war is only a war when a government or a people says it is, is pretty pedantic.
    Wrong again.Wars and armies are government things.Other than that you have wannabe "armies"-but without the support of the people of Ireland [in this case] they are not armies, they are a band of terrorists.
    Iraq, Vietnam and millions of other wars werent santioned by that countrys (whereever the war is) people
    Wrong again.Those wars were sanctioned by the govt's that started them and by the govt's of the opposing side.
    No such sanction was ever sought by the IRA for their crime/murdering spree.

Mind you I'd be hard set to find a justifiable war.There may have been a few.
    and the killing of jean mcconville was wrong as all killings are wrong. It was a long time ago
    It was in modern times and it was only last year that senior SF people embarrassed themselves on questions and answers by not condemning the murder and criminal hiding of the body of a mother of ten.
    and since none of us know exactly what went on and exactly what the circumstances were, then it cant be argued for or against.
    Wrong again.No one in a law abiding society has the right to take up arms/murder a mother of ten for the sake of some lesson that they want to give.
    these things happen in a war.
    what war,there was no war just a 30 year crime and murdering spree.
    I sometimes wonder what the point of threads like these are in the first place.
    Well its in the news thanks to an IRA statement.
    Secondly,this is a discussion.If it hurts your morals that people would like to express disgust at the IRA and point out the reality of what they were in most peoples eyes then I feel sorry for you to be honest,thats the kind of blinkered approach to politics that delayed the unity of this small nation by 40 years or more.

my_house wrote:
    eehhh ... no sir. wars are fought by people fighting. there are no rules (in the real world that is). That quoted statement above ranks as one of the most hilarious Ive ever read anywhere. Monty Python are sure to have done a sketch on it

ah, but you cant, i say CANT, simplify things to that degree as that is being very reckless and unrealistic and undeniably untrue. theres a lot of ye's round here with them high horses.
    We can tell you what the law of the land is.
    As for justifying what the IRA did, you havent a leg to stand on there unless you can show me ,the mandate from the living people of Ireland for their 30 years of murder and mahem.
    While I'm on the subject of the law of the land,I'll remind you of the law of the politics forum,go read up on it and dont be attacking posters rather attack their post.

hmm .. interesting level of debate you have going there. wars arent government things - please be real here. maybe in your world thats the way it works, but it doesnt work like that. wars are people based.

Iraq/vietnam - dont kid yourself, they werent a peoples war, which is what the poster I had originally replied to had been referring to when they stated the IRA had no war as it wasnt a people sanctioned war

your SF modern years reply - so what? whats that got to do with what we're discussing? Am i in the IRA now or something?

what war? - aye alright, stick your head in the sand then if you want. it doesnt do your debate any good though. as mentioned already, there was a war going on. ask anyone who lived through it.

your last point - im not disgusted - where'd you get that from? I wonder what is the point in making threads when all opeople in it do is say how terrible something that they have completely no understanding of, is. its only going to get people like me questioning some of the points that get raised

We can tell you what the law of the land is.
    As for justifying what the IRA did, you havent a leg to stand on there unless you can show me ,the mandate from the living people of Ireland for their 30 years of murder and mahem.
    While I'm on the subject of the law of the land,I'll remind you of the law of the politics forum,go read up on it and dont be attacking posters rather attack their post.

excuse me again. I have attacked no poster. please point out where i have, as you seem to be attacking me by implication. unless of course saying someone cant state a reckless fact as its reckless - maybe thats attacking someone, I dont know.

Im not defending the IRA. You or anyone else saying there was no war, doesnt take away from the fact that there was. You'll just have to live with it.

i'm sorry to deflect this thread, but pardon? when have i ever mentioned bloody sunday??

I know you didnt. Thats my point. Provo sympathisers are happy to "move on" when it comes to their murders and atrocities, but they cant seem to "move on" when it comes to murders and atrocties carried out by any other party.
    there are no rules (in the real world that is).

So then, you dont see what the fuss is about over Bloody Sunday? There afterall, no rules according to you. If the British wanted to torture Provo suspects, well, why not? Theres no rules.
    ah - plain to see where you sit on the debate then. I'd change that map as its obviously not based on geography.

I salute your brave struggle against reality, an inspiration to us all.
    Im sorry but how can you say that? You have absolutely no way of knowing if they did or not so shouldnt you retract that or give some kind of proof? (though bob knows nothing the british government says about its actions in the north can be trusted).

I dont know whether to laugh or cry.

Im not making any accusations about Mrs McConville. SFIRA and their fanboys are claiming shes a dirty British tout who got what was coming to her. Its up to *them* to prove their case. They have never been able to and their claim stinks of selfserving bullsh1t.

Afterall, can *you* prove youre *not* a British spy?

my_house wrote:
    excuse me again. I have attacked no poster. please point out where i have, as you seem to be attacking me by implication.
    You have asked in response to Sand for posters here to get off their high horses.Thats not dealing with the post it's dealing with the poster.Read the charter and familiarise yourself with it because as per the charter I'm not allowing a discussion on modding here.
    Outlining the law of the land and letting you know that the IRA had beggar all support in Ireland isnt being on a high horse either,it's stating fact.
    Im not defending the IRA. You or anyone else saying there was no war, doesnt take away from the fact that there was. You'll just have to live with it.
    It was textbook terrorism
    You'll just have to live with it.
    I've no problem living with your delusional post,but I'll let the law deal with extremely unpopular criminality ,murder and mayhem(which is what 30 years of IRA activity amounted to) should it ever happen again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 I disagree

The reason SF is gaining popularity and seats in the Dail is due to the fact that a large number of people are actually taken in by their political rhetoric. Does anyone actually believe they have a functioning political mandate that would be economically possible? What they do have is a group of pretty talented orators who are happy to slate the current government all the time in an effort to appeal to disillusioned citizens.

What would happen if these charlatans actually gained serious political power is almost too scary to envisage.

Sinn Féin challenges the motions proposed and carried out by the current government.:eek: Enda and Pat would never slate the present-day government, would they? Although I don’t vote for any Sinn Féin candidate, I must admit that I am fond of Fianna Fáil/PD policies being questioned.

jon wrote wrote:
    I heard about the transceiver being discovered in her house but why have we not seen photographs of it or the actual device itself. I would class such a find as a propaganda victory and would plaster pictures of it in every Republican newsletter as proof of her guilt. Ok, some could say the IRA planted it in her house as a way to condone her killing but if the device existed then surely it wasn’t just thrown onto the rubbish heap. What happened to it? Was it verified as being equipment used by the BA. She should have been told to pack her stuff and get out of the area by the end of the week.
    There was no war. The IRA should not have existed. Anyone who was ever a member or who supported them should not be entertained in civilised company.
    The reasons for the IRA to exist should not have been present in recent times but they were. I won’t go off on a tangent on this thread. How many alleged informers were killed during the Tan War by those who went on to establish FG and FF?

sand wrote:
    British intelligence in NI never issued radios to their assets. Why should they in small, urban areas where they could easily ring or meet their contacts face to face?
    How do you know that they never issued radios to informers? Just because many arranged meetings don’t mean that over the decades no tout was issued with a radio set. Telephones can be easily bugged and if suspicion fell upon this woman as it did then her every move will be monitored. Don’t bother saying that it cannot be done since the IRA managed to bug british army headquarters in 1974.
    Wars are fought by organisations/armies that adhere to the GC in the planning and execution of their operations.
    War didn’t exist before the Geneva Convention???? I didn’t know they held the copyright.
    Who are these SFIRA? Sinn Féin was a political party which took no part in the war in the six counties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

I disagree wrote:
    How do you know that they never issued radios to informers? Just because many arranged meetings don’t mean that over the decades no tout was issued with a radio set. Telephones can be easily bugged and if suspicion fell upon this woman as it did then her every move will be monitored. Don’t bother saying that it cannot be done since the IRA managed to bug british army headquarters in 1974.

Actually due to the emergence of "no-go" areas for British troops back then, it would be in their interests to have someone on the inside with a simple radio.

Advertisement