Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Use your HEAD! Use your LIGHTS!

Options
  • 08-07-2006 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

Just a reminder to all the folks out there to use your dipped headlights when driving in poor weather conditions.

I've lost count of the amount of cars/motorbikes/vans/trucks/buses I regularly see driving in the evenings/in rain/fog etc with just their parking lights switched on ...which are next to USELESS on a moving vehicle!

(In fact in most EU countries it is illegal to drive any vehicle on parking lights only - i.e. you must have dipped headlights on a moving vehicle.)

Interestingly, in the Independent on 3rd July, there was an article about the use of dipped lights.

The EU Transport Safety Council is urging all EU countries to make it mandatory for all motorists to use dipped headlight at all times during daylight hours.

They predict that this measure alone would save 2,800 lives per year in the EU !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Totally agree with you. Myself I always have the dipped lights on (especially when driving at speed on the N3). I've found as well that other people don't seem to take the same stupid/dangerous risks - like pulling out from side roads in front of you - when I have them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I will add to this saying in some countries like sweden you MUST have dipped headlights on during the Day!! I used to do this till i found my headlights kept going (4 different cars!!) from overuse i would say :D

Also Fog lights.. for the love of God people... do NOT use them unless its foggy. Its illegal as far as i know but not enforced. If its foggy, use them.. as soon as its clear then turn them off!!!

Oh and they are not "spots" they are fog lights and should only be used as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I believe the French government tried to make it mandatory to use their lights but French motorcyclists protested.
    They believe that they'd be at a disadvantage.

Here's a link. It's from 2004 though so fairly out of date
    http://www.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/2004-09-21091912MWEALL.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Totally agree with you. Myself I always have the dipped lights on (especially when driving at speed on the N3). I've found as well that other people don't seem to take the same stupid/dangerous risks - like pulling out from side roads in front of you - when I have them on.

I normally have my dipped lights on all the time aswell, and have found the same thing - people don't pull out as quickly from side roads, gateways, etc.

As for the French biker protest....I can see where they are coming from, but I still think all roadusers should have to use DRL's.

Silvera wrote:
    I normally have my dipped lights on all the time aswell, and have found the same thing - people don't pull out as quickly from side roads, gateways, etc.
    I reckon it's purely a visibility thing (and especially if your car is silver as mine is). As a side note, it'd be interesting to test the eyesight of some of the people who DO make these dangerous moves. Whilst they may have been fine at the time they applied for their license, it's possible that's no longer the case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    I reckon it's purely a visibility thing (and especially if your car is silver as mine is). As a side note, it'd be interesting to test the eyesight of some of the people who DO make these dangerous moves. Whilst they may have been fine at the time they applied for their license, it's possible that's no longer the case?

I know lots of people with perfect vision who don't see the most obvious things. Scanning the road for potential hazards is a skill that, as far as I know, is only taught at IAM level. On which subject, have you guys ever read Roadcraft - the UK police drivers handbook? It's well worth buying, IMHO.

Anan1 wrote:
    I know lots of people with perfect vision who don't see the most obvious things. Scanning the road for potential hazards is a skill that, as far as I know, is only taught at IAM level. On which subject, have you guys ever read Roadcraft - the UK police drivers handbook? It's well worth buying, IMHO.
    Got a link, or would you get it in Easons? How much? What kinda stuff is covered?

Anan1 wrote:

Yep, bought 'Roadcraft' years ago - well worth reading for any driver!

I first started thinking about using dipped headlights in daylight hours shortly after I began driving in 1988. I noticed how many UK/EU drivers used dipped headlights in rain/sleet etc in News reports, magazine photos, etc.

I also remember reading a quote/tip in a UK mag "If your have to use your wipers, switch on your dipped lights".

Nowadays, I nearly always (automatically!) switch on my dipped lights just after I start the engine!

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/408162/Roadcraft/Product.html

Here ya go. It may be cheaper elsewhere, but Play have free postage to Ireland. I was told to get it to prepare for the IAM test. I found the book & instruction made my driving much more systematic, for want of a better word. I found I got places quicker, got fewer frights, and enjoyed it more. As with anything, there's great pleasure to be got from the feeling that you're learning to do it to the best of your ability.

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Got a link, or would you get it in Easons? How much? What kinda stuff is covered?

IIRC, I bought my copy in Easons. Covers all aspects of advanced driving for police drivers.

• Advertisement

Silvera wrote:
    Nowadays, I nearly always (automatically!) switch on my dipped lights just after I start the engine!
    Same here. I remember there was a campaign a few years back to encourage this in everyday driving and it seemed to make a difference for a while. Could be worth repeating it.

As a related point.. what is it with people driving with one headlight out? I see so much of this every day that in most cases, it must be pure laziness to not go get a replacement bulb :(

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Same here. I remember there was a campaign a few years back to encourage this in everyday driving and it seemed to make a difference for a while. Could be worth repeating it.

As a related point.. what is it with people driving with one headlight out? I see so much of this every day that in most cases, it must be pure laziness to not go get a replacement bulb :(

Have you ever tried replacing a headlight bulb on an Alfa 156?;)

Anan1 wrote:
    Have you ever tried replacing a headlight bulb on an Alfa 156?;)
    touché :D My Mitsubishi Mirage is probably a lot easier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

Saruman wrote:
    Also Fog lights.. for the love of God people... do NOT use them unless its foggy. Its illegal as far as i know but not enforced. If its foggy, use them.. as soon as its clear then turn them off!!!
    does that in clued front ones even if back fogs are off

babybundy wrote:
    does that in clued front ones even if back fogs are off

Indeed it does!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

Saruman wrote:

Oh and they are not "spots" they are fog lights and should only be used as such.

I heard something on Today FM that kind of shocked me the other week, the female radio presenter advised people to make sure their fog lights were on as it was raining :confused:

d4r3n wrote:
    I heard something on Today FM that kind of shocked me the other week, the female radio presenter advised people to make sure their fog lights were on as it was raining :confused:
    *Grabs the popcorn and waits for the inevitable "women (drivers)! :rolleyes:" comment, followed by outraged postings from Boards's female petrolheads* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

I'm not saying she said it because she was female, I simply said she the presenter was female as I don't know any of the presenters so the fact she's female might narrow it down to Today FM listeners!

d4r3n wrote:
    I'm not saying she said it because she was female, I simply said she the presenter was female as I don't know any of the presenters so the fact she's female might narrow it down to Today FM listeners!
    No I know.. I was only kidding :) *hides from any aforementioned female petrolheads anyway :D*

The amount of misinformation and conflicting opinions (right across the board - from joe public to the Gardai) regarding driving procedures in general though is actually scary. Noone seems to know what the actual rules/laws are a lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

Anan1 wrote:
    Indeed it does!
    this is all i can say:o :eek: :rolleyes: :o

• Advertisement

babybundy wrote:
    this is all i can say:o :eek: :rolleyes: :o

What's that in English?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

I always drive with my dipped lights on regardless of the time of day or weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

My mother pulled in to let me pass the other day on the road and gave out to me when i got home for having my headlights on in daylight on a clear blue sky day. the person coming behind her "thought you were flashing her". More likely she thought my mother indicating meant thatt she was pulling in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I have to agree with using lights during the day - people can see you a lot easier, especially if your in a car with a similar colour to your backroung (I hope that makes sense to everyone, not just to me!!!)

Fey! wrote:
    I have to agree with using lights during the day - people can see you a lot easier, especially if your in a car with a similar colour to your backroung (I hope that makes sense to everyone, not just to me!!!)

Or if you've got the sun behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I meant to add, have any of you ever noticed the number of drivers who flash you to warn you that you have your lights on?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Its all down to perception i think... most people when they drive.. they drift off.. they can drive safely as long as nothing happens etc but they are thinking about stuff... you know it has happened when you suddenly notice you are much further than you thought! Its a sort of driing hypnosis.. Happens a lot on a straight boring motorway.

Anyway If an oncoming car has lights on though.. well we are like moths.. we look at the light so we see the car. I find myself staring at a car with high beams on even though i know its going to blind me :D I should be looking away...

So yes driving during the day with dipped headlights will get you noticed more and you are less likely to be in an accident.

Oh and at the fog light question... yes ESPECIALLY front fog lights... you blind a LOT more people with them.. rear ones only blind the person behind you.. front ones blind hundreds of drivers in the other direction!!!
    I meant to add, have any of you ever noticed the number of drivers who flash you to warn you that you have your lights on?
    Very rarely have i been flashed for it. Some times.. usually old people who cant change their set ways and still think its ok to drink and drive. Oh and i think mostly its women who have flashed me too!! Not sure why that would be.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Done an advanced driving course and was informed that you're 36% less likely to have an accident if you drive withyour dipped headlights on.

Also, it's not just that you're more visible to other drivers, what about granny smith trying to cross the road to spec-savers?

Saruman wrote:
    So yes driving during the day with dipped headlights will get you noticed more and you are less likely to be in an accident.

Sparks400 wrote:
    Done an advanced driving course and was informed that you're 36% less likely to have an accident if you drive with dipped lights on

Two great quotes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

But if all car drivers drive with their dipped lights on at all times it makes it much more dangerous for cyclist,motorcyclists and pedestrians.
    People will then get used to just looking for 2 bright lights coming towards then and won't notice a motorbike (single light), cyclist(some times a small battery light) or a pedestrian ( no light).
    Therefore, the car crashes will drop but everything elso will go up.

See quote from MAGIRELAND below.

http://www.magireland.org/actplan.htm
    Daytime Running Lights
    Goal: To prevent DRL being implemented in Ireland.
    The proposal by the A.C.E.A. (Association of European Automobile Manufacturers in English) to include the installation of “hard-wired” daytime running lights (DRL) as a concession to safety has been rejected by the E.U. committee conducting the inquiry. The committee decided that there was insufficient evidence to suggest that DRL contributed anything to safety and took into account the F.E.M.A report which suggested that the introduction of DRL would actually pose a hazard to motorcyclists and other vulnerable road users such as cyclists and pedestrians.
    I have received a letter from Commissioner de Palacio indicating that the representations made by MAG Ireland and other motorcyclists’ organisations were influential in the decision to commission a study into the effects of DRL on all road users and on the relative conspicuity of motorcyclists & cyclists. The Commissioner thanked us for our contribution to the debate on this issue.
    I have written to Commissioner de Palacio welcoming this study and offering any assistance we might be able to give regarding same.
    Some proposed amendments to the Road Traffic Bill, 2001 currently under debate have included the introduction of DRL in the Winter months. I have contacted Deputy Denis Naughten who has made the proposal to advise him of the negative effect such a measure would have on road safety.

Advertisement