Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol or diesel.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Lads - AFAIK, insurance is based on claims experience with that particular model. This is why a small but powerful car will generally be more expensive to insure than a large family saloon with the same engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

Good. So insurers aren't as crooked as those motor tax jerks.

There's also the 1.5D Starlets I was on about, and have since discovered the Toyota Corolla II, Tercel and Corsa are also available with that engine. Here's a Corolla II:
    toyota_corolla_ii_10920.jpg
    Imports only, but there's a good few around (not sure how many diesels). Old imports also = dirt cheap. The Tercel and Corsa hatchbacks look similar.

Let's not forgot it's the only car to ever get a 1-star EuroNCAP rating, so it's a death trap too! ;) Lucky they didn't test the original Mini, which was also still for sale at the time...

If I got one of them 1.5D's how much MPG would I be getting as opposed to lets say a 1.3P corolla or a 1.4P Sunny.

Anyone got website addresses of sites in Ireland that have jap imports? Cheaper ones; Im on a low budget!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

The total cubic capacity doesnt contribute to higher premiums. its the hp

I have gotten online quotes of around €1600-1800 on a 2 litre Petrol celica. I have yet to find a quick quote for a 2 litre Mitsubishi evolution which has sky high premiums. if i was to pick a standard 2 litre diesel my quote would probably be around 1400 or less

If you want cheap insurance go for something between 40bhp to around 70bhp as price differences really arent that much in that range. you do not want to get into the mid 80's or even 90's on your first insurance, unless your willing to pay just shy of €3000 for tpf&t

if you want to check different cars with the same details the easiest way is to use www.123.ie The cheapest quote will more than likely be sourced from Quinn Directs terms

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

alias no.9 wrote:
    Possibly an overreaction. You originally said

and then

It was only when challenged that you mentioned power output. What I'm saying is that your earlier statement that the same size petrol and diesel engines cost the same to insure is completely inaccurate given my experience of paying very little extra for a 2.0 turbo diesel compared to a 1.4 petrol, thats a huge increase in cubic capacity (> 40%) plus a turbo. Following this I had a significant increase in premium when loosing the turbo and 10% of the cubic capacity switching back to petrol. For the most part, power output will determine the insurance. If I had stated that the 1.4 petrol had 82bhp, the 2.0TD had 88bhp and the 1.8 petrol 144bhp, you'd see what was driving the insurance premium, power, not cubic capacity.

Its cool.

There are many other contributing factors:
    For instance, I was quoted €200!!!! :eek: less on a 1.4 Megane Estate than on a 1.4 Megane hatchback. Both brand new etc. etc.
    Also, I don't think you are even asked fuel type when getting insurance quotes, are you? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Have you gone and gotten an insurance quote on these diesel cars?? Also bear in mind:

*Road tax is higher on diesel
    *Front tyre wear "can" be heavier as the engines are generally heavier
    *Most diesels that are in your price and insurance range are non-turbo and possibly senile in acceleration

Basically, its like the guys said, you will only save money if you are doing high miles.

Road Tax is not higher on a diesel.Its calculated on the horse pwer of the engine!

• Advertisement

Moanin wrote:
    Road Tax is not higher on a diesel.Its calculated on the horse pwer of the engine!

I think what he meant is that at the age of car we're talking about a diesel engine of a given power output will be much bigger than the equivalent petrol. It will therefore cost more to tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Moanin wrote:
    Incorrect. Motor tax is calculated on engine displacement for cars unless they're exempt for some reason (taxis, commercial vehicles, etc. only have to pay a flat fee of around €70).

Incorrect. Motor tax is calculated on engine displacement for cars unless they're exempt for some reason (taxis, commercial vehicles, etc. only have to pay a flat fee of around €70).

He means fiscal horse power, ie 2,000cc = 16hp.

Advertisement