Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brass knob on fuel line for oil boiler

Options
  • 08-07-2006 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I had to replace the internal flexi braided hose line on my oil burner today due to a small leak at the joint of the hose to the elbow, so I turned the brass knob external to the boiler on the fuel line coming in where the filter is to isolate the oil.

Can't recall the exact position of where it was before. Is it just like a tap and you open up for flow or does it have to be set specifically?

I also replaced the nozzle while I was in there and gave it a good cleaning in the burner area and I'll be putting the pressure gauge on tomorrow to set the burner pressure.

I plan to get a guy in soon to give the boiler area inside and good cleaning as it hasn't been done in a while and to set up the air/fuel mixture. But I just wanted to switch it on to verify its operation in the meantime.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I had to replace the internal flexi braided hose line on my oil burner today due to a small leak at the joint of the hose to the elbow, so I turned the brass knob external to the boiler on the fuel line coming in where the filter is to isolate the oil.

Can't recall the exact position of where it was before. Is it just like a tap and you open up for flow or does it have to be set specifically?

I also replaced the nozzle while I was in there and gave it a good cleaning in the burner area and I'll be putting the pressure gauge on tomorrow to set the burner pressure.

I plan to get a guy in soon to give the boiler area inside and good cleaning as it hasn't been done in a while and to set up the air/fuel mixture. But I just wanted to switch it on to verify its operation in the meantime.
    Hi Lex, I said that I wasn't coming back after the "Roofer Pete" stuff, but here I am :(
    That is the fire valve - you turn it anti-clockwise.
    Do not turn it too tight. When you turn it anti-clockwise, it lifts the threaded inner spindle. That lets the oil through. It has an inner piece which is soldered in place. If there is a fire the solder melts and the spindle drops down, shutting off the oil. Sometimes the solder gives way and the spindle drops down and the oilflow is cut off. Then you need a new handle or completely new valve.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

thanks James. The replacement hose I got was too long, so I have to wait until tomorrow so I can replace it

Advertisement