Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Mini DV to Mpeg

• 08-07-2006 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Can anyone recommend some software that i can use to connect my Sony Mini DV to the PC with USB and capture the videos on the mini dv tape into .avi or mpeg format.

The one that has shipped with the camcoeder produces pretty poor quality, so would love to know if there's any other decent ones out there

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Your problem is the usb connection. Get a firewire card and cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yea, once you get the firewire, you could get a trial version of Premiere or something like that USB doesn't provide the speed need to copy video across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭mtracey

I had the exact same problem, nearly puked when I saw the quality.
    Got the firewire cable and it sorted it out big time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Gooseberry

thanks for the reply guys. This here is the camera:
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/185509/art/sony/dcr-hc94-minidv-camcorder.html#accessoires

Is the firewire cabe listed in the accessories what I'm looking for?
    That says for connecting camcorder to camcorder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

Don't even think of giving €34 for a cable, these cables tend to be standard. I have some info some where re connector types, I'll look for it and add the infor here. That's not the right cable anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Gooseberry

Guys, thanks again for the responses

Am i just looking for any standard firewire cable and card or do you have any suggestions or links.

The Camera is a sony dcr - hc94

The one in the link is a 4pin male to 4pin Male

What you need is a: Firewire 4pin Male to 6pin male

See here.

This is firewire 400 or IEEE1394

The link also shows firewire 800 or IEEE1394b, I don't know anything about this.

Does your PC have a firewire input or do you need to get a card?

Guys, thanks again for the responses

Am i just looking for any standard firewire cable and card or do you have any suggestions or links.

The Camera is a sony dcr - hc94

I bought a plug in card for my old PC, my new PC had firewire on board so I didn't need the card anymore. Check the back of your PC and see if you have a firewire socket which the larger 6pin connector will plug into (Or check the spec for you PC, look for IEEE 1394). If you have the socket you won't need the card, just the cable, these should be easy enough to get as they're standard.

I still have the spare firewire card, if it turns out you need one and are interested PM me. They're cheap as chips now anyway compared to when I shelled out £100 for it 5 years ago.

Advertisement