Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing Pet Turtle through Airport to Ireland.

Options
  • 08-07-2006 6:47pm

Hello Everybody

I am currently in Madrid and on my way home soon. I have 2 pet turltes that i want to bring back to Ireland with me and i am just wonder what the legal ramifications are for doing this. They are still very small and i have the neccessarry equipment to carry them home. Should i have a problem with this ?

If anybody has any advice it would truly be appriciatied .

Thanks Dre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

The law only specifies for cats, dogs, ferrets. But here's a tip:

**Pets other than cats or dogs
    Further information regarding the importation of pets (other than cats/dogs) to Ireland is available from:

Department of Agriculture and Food,
    Live Trade Section,
    Animal Health and Welfare Division,
    Agriculture House,
    Kildare Street,
    Dublin 2.
    Tel: (01) 607 2862
    Fax: (01) 661 9031**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

They should be ok but call your airline and let them know before hand. I heard of an instance where it was up to the captain whether he thought it was ok or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 SusieBelle

You have to Contact the Dept. of Ag. to bring ANY animal into the country. Also sometimes people clear it with the airline but the airline don't notify agriculture and when it gets here you get in trouble for not notifying agriculture, and the animal is held until a vet can be notified. So the onus is on you to contact the dept. of agriculture.

My parental unit is an agricultural officer and i've heard of them sending animals back because things weren't done properly. Agriculture have to have a vet check animals coming in, so they need to be notified as to when they're coming in.

Good Luck!

Advertisement