Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

indentity theft worries

Options
  • 08-07-2006 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hey,
    Maybe some of you can help me with my predicament.
    I recently received a call from an 0800 number with a man saying that he was from Vodafone and offering 25 pounds credit for an agreement to extend my contract by 6 months. It sounded legit so I went along with it. I then had a change of heart and rang vodafone and asked them to cancel it. Of course they had no record of this exchange and didnt know of any offers resembling this. I am a little worried that this could be a case of identity theft.
    The only information I gave to the guy was to tell him my name, my address, and my phone number.
    The other explanation that has been suggested by my mates is that it could be a 3rd party mobile phone reseller trying to sell me an alternate contract. But I bought the phone and signed the contract in a Vodafone shop, so that seems unlikely. I checked my phone to see if I still had the 0800 number saved but alas, i has wiped it, and when I rang Vodafone they couldnt tell me what it was. Any idea how I can find out who this was?

This is in the UK btw. I searched for a decent forum to ask this on in the UK but couldnt find one. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

To be honest it does sounds abit like identity theft, but I am surprised that they didn't push for anymore information, even a date of birth would make their job alot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

if it smells of fish and looks like fish THEN it is a fish

excuse the pun but this is definately fishy

identity theft id say:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

There does seem to be something dodgy going on.

As long as they don't have your bank details you are okay.

Maybe you could write to the Guardian newspaper's saturday edition. They have a 'Your Money' section that is very good on these types of issues. Don't have it on-hand to give you the exact email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Looks very like someone is going to earn some commision on your extended contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

when they rang and asked you for your name and address after claiming to be from vodafone...did it not sound suspicious to you? If they were truly calling from vodafone do you not think that they should already have this info??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

bullrunner wrote:
    when they rang and asked you for your name and address after claiming to be from vodafone...did it not sound suspicious to you? If they were truly calling from vodafone do you not think that they should already have this info??

In fairness, a lot of companies ask you to 'confirm' this information when they call you, so it depends whether it sounds like they asked to confirm it or for it to be supplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

edzillion wrote:
    Hey,
    Maybe some of you can help me with my predicament.
    I recently received a call from an 0800 number with a man saying that he was from Vodafone and offering 25 pounds credit for an agreement to extend my contract by 6 months. It sounded legit so I went along with it. I then had a change of heart and rang vodafone and asked them to cancel it. Of course they had no record of this exchange and didnt know of any offers resembling this. I am a little worried that this could be a case of identity theft.
    The only information I gave to the guy was to tell him my name, my address, and my phone number.
    The other explanation that has been suggested by my mates is that it could be a 3rd party mobile phone reseller trying to sell me an alternate contract. But I bought the phone and signed the contract in a Vodafone shop, so that seems unlikely. I checked my phone to see if I still had the 0800 number saved but alas, i has wiped it, and when I rang Vodafone they couldnt tell me what it was. Any idea how I can find out who this was?

This is in the UK btw. I searched for a decent forum to ask this on in the UK but couldnt find one. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Ed

Sounds like you going to get slammed (changed to another provider without your permission)... its very common in the uk with phone and gas....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

even if the call was legitimate if you call vodafone they might have no knowleged of it, you see large companies outsource routine tasks to call centres, for example Bank of Ireland have customer satisfaction surveys done by an external call centre, they only "confirm" the receivers "name" though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

bullrunner wrote:

it is suspicious but not for the reason you're saying. these companies have to confirm details every time you phone to ensure you are who you say you are.

the reason its suspicious is companies don't phone people out of the blue and ask for personal details. they only ask when you've phoned them. its definitely dodgy. vodafone will have a record of all the people that called you. try to get it out of them but you have to get the police involved to get that information

Advertisement