Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

idea for insurance on big cars for peanuts

Options
  • 08-07-2006 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

just thinking today would it be possible if i got fully comp insurance on say a 900cc Fiat Cinquecento and be insured on to drive other peoples cars.
    then buy say a Mercedes 300SEL hence be insured on the Merc under the fiat policy??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm gonna say no cause AFAIK, you're only covered for TPFT on other cars and the owner (who is not you) must have a fully comp policy.

Besides, what you're describing is fraud, and you'd probably end up being classed as driving without ANY insurance. Not worth the risk IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

well i'd only (if it were possible) do it on fully comp ins. i know your not coverd to drive other peoples car on tpft.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

why not just get a high excess policy for about 900 euro ?

If thats what you're after ?

hmmm, know anybody who does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You're only covered for Third Party insurance on other people's cars, not TPFT or comprehensive. You don't need comprehensive insurance yourself, I have TPFT and I'd be covered on others' cars if I had a full licence.

Also, the fact that you'll be the owner of the Mercedes sounds very dodgy, as your insurance policy will be covering you to drive other people's cars.

If it was as easy as you're suggesting, then everyone would be doing it.

thanks, but it dosent give a quote for under 25's

thanks all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

If the second car is registered to you, then you wouldn't be covered to drive it unless you transferred your policy (read your policy).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

What Kaiser was getting at is that even if you have comp, the other person's car still has to have an insurance policy covering fire, theft + comp if they want. AFAIK most companies except AXA(i think they do a tpft policy that covers driving other cars for anyone) will only insure you to drive other people's cars if your policy is comp and you have a full licence. You'll still only be covered for injuries to 3rd parties by your own policy, the other person's policy will (depending on cover) cover damage to the car you are driving. Meaning if you put yourself in hospital for 12 months in a crash you're fu<ked cos the insurance won't cover your bills

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Volvoboy wrote:
    just thinking today would it be possible if i got fully comp insurance on say a 900cc Fiat Cinquecento and be insured on to drive other peoples cars.
    then buy say a Mercedes 300SEL hence be insured on the Merc under the fiat policy??

Your cover only insures you to drive another car if:

1. you have the other car owners permission

and

2. the other car is insured

• Advertisement

and

Damn!

well back to the drawing board.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sparks400 wrote:

and

I don't think that second part is true. The belief might stem from the fact that the car needs to be insured before it can be taxed, meaning you'd be driving an untaxed car but you'd still be insured. At least according to AXA and Quinn Direct policies anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Stark wrote:
    I don't think that second part is true. The belief might stem from the fact that the car needs to be insured before it can be taxed, meaning you'd be driving an untaxed car but you'd still be insured. At least according to AXA and Quinn Direct policies anyway.

Yep, red my policy and it says nothing about the other car needing to be insured.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Ask your insurer the question. This is the case with Hibernian and Quinn that's all I can speak for, but I'm sure they're all the same, in fact I'm nearly certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

I asked this question to my insurer before as well. Hibernian basically said the other car does not need to be insured

You would be covered in the other car third party only as long as you are not the registerd owner

So you can insure a 300SL on fiat money in theory;)

so say if i get my mam to register her name to a merc and get the previous owner to tax it before he sells it on hence being taxed and insured and will be nct'd i could legally be insued- well in theory anyway.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=427171&message=You%20searched%20for%3A%20Mercedes%2DBenz%20300%2C%20Year%3A%201990%2E%20Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below%2E&CFID=17823591&CFTOKEN=71368008 - somthing like this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Yeah it will work alright, Im insured to drive any car (as Im sure most ppls policies are similar these days) but the only car thats covered for comp is my own. So I could take your merc for a spin but if I slam it into a wall and cause 10K worth of damage then Im going to be a very poor punter!

You're basically only covering yourself for liability of causing damage to someone else, not covering your investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

if they you had an accident they wil only cover the more valuable vehicle up to the value of your fiat.

there is only ione way to bring down insurance, stump up, get older and dont crash in the meantime.

what's proposed is insurance fraud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Volvoboy wrote:

The Merc must not be owned by you

testicle wrote:
    The Merc must not be owned by you

Theres noting stopping you registering the car in anothers name such as a spouse or the like.

As long as the name on the VRC is not your own you are not deemed to be the owner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Don't insurance companies have a concept of "the beneficial owner" of the car which is the person who will use it most?

Other than that, I cannot see anything wrong with this foolproof and ingenious plan. No siree bob.

Other than that, I cannot see anything wrong with this foolproof and ingenious plan. No siree bob.

sarcasim?? i can never tell on these things.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It will all be ok till there is a claim and then your house of cards will come tumbling down.

Robbo wrote:
    Don't insurance companies have a concept of "the beneficial owner" of the car which is the person who will use it most?

This may apply if you were insuring the other car under the insurance policy but your not
    You are merely driving it through an extension on your existing policy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've had several policies covering the driving of other peoples cars, and I've never seen a clause that requires that the other car be seperately insured.

if you think about it, it is your liability that is being covered - if you injure someone, or cause damage to someone elses property then that is covered. If you injure yourself, or damage the car your driving, that is not covered. why would your insurance company care whether the other car has its own policy or not.

however you are legally required to have an insurance disc on the car - you could probably use the disc off your own car, but could have a bit of explaining to do if an eagle-eyed garda spots the different reg numbers.

If it is only a once off use of the other car, a garda would forgive the lack of insurnace disk, but you better have your cert to hand to show you are insured.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

if they you had an accident they wil only cover the more valuable vehicle up to the value of your fiat.

Incorrect. His 3rd party cover (damage done to others) would be normal, and unrelated to the value of the FIAT.

What he's proposing would work in theory. The issue of not having an insurance disc displayed is the biggest single flaw in it.

That and c.€1300 road tax p.a. on the Merc.

3rd party cover is nearly always insufficient btw.

As he would not be issued with an insurance cert for the merc he would be unable to tax it, leaving the merc liable for seizure if detected by the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Another VB brainwave! :rolleyes: AFAIK, the other car has to be insured. If this wheeze worked, wouldn't a lot of people be doing it? Think. You might pass a checkpoint, but not a claim. Then you are royally fckd. Also, the owner of the other car will be liable for any damage you cause, as well as for letting an uninsured driver use the car. Do you want to do this to your mother?

Why not ring up another insurance company anonymously and ask them. Tell us what they say.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

You would never pass a checkpoint imho. The lack of road tax would be the big issue.

Advertisement